Note to New Members ×

Hit by a skier

jtslalom

Well it finally happened today. As I was carving slalom turns down a green slope, totally in control and not taking up any more realestate then needed smash, right in the back. The noise was almost defening as I was hit and brought to the ground. It really knocked me for a loop. I was ok and so was the skier that hit me. As I started to get up I looked at the skier to make sure he was ok also. He looked good and a little pissed off I said "You have to watch where you are going." He replied, " Me, what about you." I said, " You hit me in the back, how am I suppose to see you when you are behind me. Yield to the downhill skier." With this he replied something stupid with a couple of swears. I simply helped him get his stuff up off the ground and accidently threw his pole in the woods, then went on my way not saying a word.

I just don't get it and blame myself for riding past the 11 o'clock hour. There are just so many idiots out there. Maybe I'm one of them but I certainly haven't hit any one and ALWAYS look where I am going. I'm incredibly careful when over taking another rider or skier and tend to stay as far away from others as possible. I will even sit at the top of the slope off to one side and wait some time for the largest gap I can see before continuing down. I know I can take up the whole slope when carving and therfore tend to look up between every couple of turns. In general the few diamond runs I ride don't have many people on them but when riding the more crowded slopes I tend to be very careful. I guess this time I wasn't careful enough.

I hope the idiot is still looking for his pole.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear that jt - any injuries on your part?

I had a similar experience - I was carving along at Creek on a flat section, nothing crazy, just back and forth. Guy hits me from behind and has a yard sale with his stuff. I didn't go down but I stopped to see if he's OK - he tells me to "pick a line". I tell him he hit me from behind on a slow flat section. He mumbles something again - at that point I may or may not have dropped a few f-bombs. :)

On another occasion, a guy from Brooklyn on rentals destroyed me from behind on an empty slope. Wrecked my board, my back, etc etc. I'm still trying to forget that one.

Glad you're okay. Like the pole trick :eplus2:!!!

I'm sure that this is going to happen to all of us at one time or another. If I can pick myself off the snow when it does, I think I'm going to start carrying around copies of the skiers code (with the appropriate text highlighted) to hand out to the perpetrators. You shouldn't have to have and argument after you've just been hit.

I was hit by a skier just last week.

I was in VT, standing at a lift line with my friends. I happen to look to my left, and see a young lady skier coming straight for me, while she's looking over her shoulder at her parents. I barely have time to gets my hands up, and I try to catch her by the shoulders, but she was lighter than I thought and quite startled, and before she knew it, she was on her ass. I assert that, technically, she's still the one who hit me. Her parents were utterly unamused, but were wise enough not to say anything.

I'm up to 3 hits this year and numerous close calls. All were uphill skiers hitting or buzzing me. One dinged the base of a brand new board 2nd day on snow.:mad: I found out latter than a friend of mine saw it from the lift. He told me the guy was making dollar signs out of my carves.:freak3:

Jack-ass.

Always thought that if I was ever in a collision it would be with another boarder....was wrong.....going down the main run a few weeks back I heading into a toe side and looked uphill and see my 23 year old daughter a hundred yards up, I make the carve and as I start to transition I hear her yell.......a bombing out of control skier just misses her and evidently was locked on to me ...I see a blue blur out of the corner of my eye and start to throw my self backwards as the skier passes over the nose of my board which buries the nose and launches me a good seven feet in the air...........

Landed on my head, (thank God for helmet) and the only thing I remember is chair lift yelling at the skier and back down to me that not my fault....never caught up with skier and was left with slight concussion...

Its a reminder that its a dangerous play thing we do and no matter how much you watch out for it......it's gonna happen sooner or later...was just happy for no broken bones....(although I did not tell my wife or daughter that the first thought I had after shaking out the cobwebs was......"is the board alright?')

Be safe out there......

Close calls x 2 within 1 week by very experienced skiers on empty slopes (and I looked before carving hard across). Both about a foot away or so.

Even though there are lots of hardbooters here, even good skiers are not used to us cutting so hard across.

No hits, so both times, we just had a good laugh, but we could have been crying.

Didn't get hit but very well could have if not for quick thinking. Yesterday I was coming down the slope and i noticed a skier stopped off to the right hand side of the slope messing with his phone. Looking up the slope, seeing only two people a ways up the hill, I continued downward past him. A few turns down the hill I heard something behind me, I looked up and all three of them were there bombing down the hill. I was on the far left side of the slope and i was surrounded before I knew it. I ended up having to bomb the rest of the run just to keep from getting run into or diving into the trees.

I once took someone's ski with me and told them they could pick it up at the ski patrol booth. Then I dropped it off with patrol and told them there would be an idiot coming to retrieve it.

Nice guy - really - much better move than what I used to do. I used to just throw their skis in the woods.

gettting his is never a good thing. the worst is when a long chain/ group of skiers ski down the hill all at the same time. it also works out that when u drop in is the same time they do. i find the best way to deal with this fustration is to wait it out for the hill to be clear so u can rip the line ou were scoping out on the chairlift.

Not sure if it's because we've been having record amounts of snowfall this year (most since 1978, in Ohio) or if it's the winter olympics inspiring people to go out and do some winter sports, maybe a combination of the 2, but I've left on a weekday because of long lift lines and crowded runs. You always increase the number of idiots when you get into big crowds.:mad:

I have to admit, I had a collision this past weekend and I was the UPHILL skier/carver..... Unfortunately, it was with a chairlift pole!!!!!!! Funny, it did not complain or pick my board up and throw it into the woods. :smashfrea

No injuries though (unless you count my ego from the laughter from the chairlift....).

I was buzzed by 2 ski patrollers the other day. They passed me on both sides with little room to spare on the widest run on the hill. There was no one else out there. I'm getting tired of inconsiderate people. I might just move into the woods and avoid them altogether! :rolleyes:;)

I was buzzed by 2 ski patrollers the other day. They passed me on both sides with little room to spare on the widest run on the hill. There was no one else out there. I'm getting tired of inconsiderate people. I might just move into the woods and avoid them altogether! :rolleyes:;)

This happened three weeks ago to me at stratton, early in the morning before anyone was on the mountain. Was riding Upper Standard (this is a wide-ass trail) with pretty much nobody else on the hill, and some ski-patrol nearly hit me from behind. How is that even possible!!

Drives me nuts!

I actually did get hit by a ski patrol member a few years back. send me flying off to the side of a trail after he hit the tail of my board.

He took off and didn't even look back! Suffice it to say I went to the patrol shack to complain, but I'm not sure whether they took me seriously or not.

In January at Bristol I'm zipping down the hill at nite. Woman (skier) comes out of the woods without looking uphill - like a deer darting across the road.

Had two choices: Bail or hit her. I bailed, hit my head hard. If I didn't have a helmet it would have been terrible. As it was, I got my bell and tailbone rung.

She asked me twice if I was okay... but I was only capable of saying F--- a record number of time. She then took off ... good thing as had I gained my senses, I would have had told her off.

Went to ski patrol to get checked out. No concussion, but I was done for the day and didn't go riding again until yesterday ... I was so tentative. Haven't been that tentative since 1997, LOL.

Ski Patrol said they probably would have revoked her pass for coming out of the woods without looking uphill, particularly at nite.

Really made me rethink things ... one mistake and you can end up in severe trouble.