Note to New Members ×

Hit by a skier

jtslalom

The thing I find interesting about being hit by a skier is that I have never, ever, in my life, heard an apology. Not even once.

I've collided with other people a bunch of times in my life. When I was a kid, maybe even by my fault. But I would always apologise.

Even today when somebody hits my from behind, I stand up, put on a smiley face and say something like "sorry" or "cheers" expecting the same reaction from the other guy so we can go and ride on. But the a**hole whose fault it was in the first place ALWAYS needs to say something about my mother, etc. I've never encountered a guy who would hit me and say "I am sorry".

If I'm not injured, I don't care if somebody hit me. Hell, there's hardly a slope that I descend without falling while pushing carves so hitting the snow isn't something exotic to me.

I've came to realize that real athletes won't be rude because they know that it is dangerous to continue riding if you are worked up and thinking how you'd like to kick the other guys ass. So all real skiers/snowboarders will, if you collide, just go on. On the other hand, the jerkoffs will always be looking for a fight, at least a verbal one, because they don't really care if they get a good day skiing. This way, they'll have a good story to tell to their friends.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've came to realize that real athletes won't be rude because they know that it is dangerous to continue riding if you are worked up and thinking how you'd like to kick the other guys ass. So all real skiers/snowboarders will, if you collide, just go on.

Excellent point. Collisions are inevitable. I think you always have to acknowledge that you will have contact with others when you are on the ski hill. Whether it be simple stuff like getting bumped in the lift line to dangerous impacts at speed, you have to expect that it will happen.

Years ago, like 1999, I was hit from behind by a skier at Greek Peak. Impact was so hard ski patrol came down because he "heard it from the top of the hill."

The guy was very apologetic and took the full blame for the accident. Said he he thought he could pass me and didn't expect me to move to that side (my right side/heel side).

No real injury and he seemed to take full responsibility for trying something he shouldn't.

Likewise, the couple times I've slid into someone (always at slow speeds -- I just don't open up if there's not room) I've always been apologetic.

Seems pretty basic. You hit someone, you apologize. Common courtesy.

(1st PIX) Saw skier made a sharp left turn - Decide not to finish my toe turn and made quick heel turn - Finally skier saw me but can't control his skies and stay on course.

(2nd PIX) I can see his eye bolls almost pop (was so close) - realize he'll hit my base, I straighten my legs to have solid ground somehow board bent and made tighter turn - ski hits/nick at the tail end

(3rd PIX) Cool down the skiier with a spray :eplus2:

All good :ices_ange

Cheers

RT

post-6136-141842311332_thumb.jpg

post-6136-141842311335_thumb.jpg

post-6136-141842311338_thumb.jpg

It was quite bizare and freightening to hold the camera and record all of that...

To be quite honnest, I think that you phased her(?) even more with the last quick turn. You forgot the basics of the naval warfare - when avoiding a thorpeddo, you steer towards it, not away from it! In other words, you should have just tightened your previous turn, to a full stop if needed.

She was very much out of controll, bouncing sideways on the mini-moguls, but it is very discutable who was the downhill rider...

That's a crapshoot which way he should have gone. Seemed to work out okay.

I always use the Law of Chatter..If I chatter out, I always make sure I'm chattering away from the object. This could not have worked in this situation.

That said..The most important thing in a possible collision is to maintain the turn if the course dictates an aversion. Sounds stupidly obvious, but I often don't follow my own advice.

Boris, you can relate to this pretty well.. My dad always makes me sail with a pile of moored boats to the lee. It took a while to learn how to avoid pinching and getting blown into the boats. The same thing happens when I carve close to the edges of a trail. Usually I'll see the trees and get tentative in my carve..and get blown into the trees with the chatter.

The most important thing in a possible collision is to maintain the turn if the course dictates an aversion.

This is exactelly my point - stay in the turn where you are already solid set and modify the shape, rather then go into the unknown of edge change / possible chatter / fall...

Remember, I was there, I'm probably the most entitled one to make should/would/could comments...

Anyhow, well done Scooby, for maintaing your composure and cool head and riding right out of it!

Years ago at Tremblant I was hit from behind just as I was transitioning from a heelside to toeside, about 6 feet from the edge of the trail. He must have connected his face with the back of my helmet, because he was out cold for about 20 seconds (seemed like days, fak I killed him). Finally came to and his straightlining buddies were giving him s#$t for running into me from behind AND he apologized! No injuries for me, I was pretty relaxed at the time which I'm sure helped. Just carving a few turns, all of a sudden sky/snow/sky/snow, we all know that routine.

I think that you phased her(?) even more with the last quick turn.
...it is her ?:rolleyes:
(1st PIX) Saw skier made a sharp left turn - Decide not to finish my toe turn and made quick heel turn - Finally skier saw me but can't control his skies and stay on course.

(2nd PIX) I can see his eye bolls almost pop (was so close) - realize he'll hit my base, I straighten my legs to have solid ground somehow board bent and made tighter turn - ski hits/nick at the tail end

(3rd PIX) Cool down the skiier with a spray

story was....;)

(1st PIX) Saw her (noticed her boy away up hill) - decide to go to see her to...

(2nd PIX)....ask her phone number :cool: but she refused (she saw her boy coming) :o

(3rd PIX) ..the story continue same..:p

Cheers

:DRT;)

post-6136-141842311345_thumb.jpg

(3rd PIX) Cool down the skiier with a spray :eplus2:

All good :ices_ange

Cheers

RT

RT, its how u get girls phone #??????

RT, its how u get girls phone #??????

No, actually he's got another tactic: he posts a lot on the snowboarding forums and wait for the girls to send him their numbers! :D

___

Just got back from the hill...

Luka got clipped (on the tails of his skis only) by an out-of-controll snowboarder. I had a thumbling skier rolling over my skis, too. I just left her there tangled in a knot...

Crazy stuff, considering the empty hill...