Note to New Members ×

Yo Lci!!

big mario

blowin.

hard.

All Day.

been ridin @lovey nigh on 3 decades now. By far one of the most gnarly days I've experienced there. wind holds on most of the lifts that matter. Thanks to an early text by slopestar( thanks  Lance!) we all vacated to 3. Things were great early, as most stayed at the basin, but as the wind holds stayed in place, we experienced unprecedented lines at 3. ink and I called it after 5, Hill, Ice, Johann, and Kyle held on for 1 more. Cahr bahr was open for a bit, but the brutal wind at the valley proved to be too much for our group of lovey stalwarts. and we hit the road before  noon.

Planning on taking advantage of  some pto and a slow week to get out mid week, planning on cooper on Wednesday, and back to lovey on Thursday

mario

Edited by big mario
  • Like 3

6'' on the snow stake this am, a couple of more and it would have been a damn fine pow day!

Ice and I joined the AARP crowd today( wait a minute, I resemble that remark) for the start of my midweek weekend.  snow was funky, like sandpaper at times, light coverage in some places, deep in others.  I found myself pointing it quite a bit, bouncing off of the tops of the soft bumps at speed, planing the tanker out, it just made sense to make it back to the lift.  we did a few in bennetts, caromed down firecut, and spent the majority of our time playing around in the parkless flushes.  It was fun. didn't venture out to 4 or 8, the light was a little too flat, and there was just enough snow to hide the bumps, but not enough to smooth them out.

Heading over to Cooper tomorrow for day 2

Mario

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Phlippin Phucken Phun one today

Hot laps on the worlds slowest double chair, no lift lines, complete with crazy, grippy, firm groom.  Even on some of my gnarliest tight turns I couldn't get deeper than 2". I utterly failed in my role as sexton today, unless I was burying GI Joes and Barbies. I think we need to invade this place at some point this season. I definitely want to go back and explore some more, I just drilled on stuff I wanted to work on, and tinkerbelled with me kicks a little

Enjoying some of that coconut porter, it is much better in a fancy boy snifter and warmer environs, though you cannot beat the ambiance of a parking lot in single digits, ducking the wind, surrounded by socially distant friends and drinking out of a red solo cup

Til' Sunday,

Mario

• Like 5

Cold one today. I almost called it as soon as I pulled into the parking lot, but Coach inky told me to "Sack up bitch, and ride"  so I did.  Lights went out at about 10:15, and the wind came up, only then did I pick up my ball and head home. Ethan, Hill007, Ice, Inky, and Slopestar kept after it. It was still below zero when I left the lot, but I guess they have had  a 20 degree temperature swing in the last hour or so.  Still a fun one, looking forward to the day that I can get a real pow day in, the few runs I got in in the tracked up leftovers were a lot of fun, as was creating the few banked slalom runs I left  on the practice field

3C7FAF09-B031-4756-A199-35D913786BDF.jpeg

Edited by big mario
had to declumsify an anecdote
  • Like 5

Was a fun morning splashing about in the scrap pow and getting some soft carving in on the Tankers. Spent a couple final runs with Ethan working on his turning/timing/movement. He got the feeling a few times so now he know what it is he is trying to accomplish. He also has some ideas on how to get there.

Good Times,

Ink

• Like 1

Wednesday was AWESOME!!

It had snowed several inches each day for several days prior. Tuesday evening groom with about 2" of fairly dense snow over the top. 10 degrees to start. The snow was fairly slow so we didn't have to work on keeping our speeds down. 

Gregory, Arne & I did a couple on Firebowl / Turtle Creek. We were all on wide boards & soft boots. Very few people and amazing grip. Assume you have the run to yourself because you do.  

Over to #4 and then to #8 about 9:30. Powder under the lift. Awsome was AWSOME! Chet's Run was wonderful carving. On one lift ride up Arne commented that it might be a little soft (but he said it with a huge grin on his face). 

We kept alternating between Awsome and Chet's. Gregory was leaving 6" to 8" trenches at the apex of his turns. On one lift ride up I figured that our combined age was nearly 200 years. 

By 11:30 my legs and back were shot. We headed back over to the front side and I stopped about noon. Arne and Gregory kept at it on #6 and Chet's Dream. I think they got in another 3 - 4 runs by 1 PM. Arne's Ski Tracker gave out before he did. It showed 13 runs but I think they got in about 15 or 16. 

I've been snow sliding since about 1968. I'd have to say Wednesday could have been the best day ever for me. I've had some great powder days but they usually only last a few hours. Snow conditions on Wednesday were amazing until I couldn't take it anymore.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JohnE said:

Wednesday was AWESOME!!

It had snowed several inches each day for several days prior. Tuesday evening groom with about 2" of fairly dense snow over the top. 10 degrees to start. The snow was fairly slow so we didn't have to work on keeping our speeds down. 

Gregory, Arne & I did a couple on Firebowl / Turtle Creek. We were all on wide boards & soft boots. Very few people and amazing grip. Assume you have the run to yourself because you do.  

Over to #4 and then to #8 about 9:30. Powder under the lift. Awsome was AWSOME! Chet's Run was wonderful carving. On one lift ride up Arne commented that it might be a little soft (but he said it with a huge grin on his face). 

We kept alternating between Awsome and Chet's. Gregory was leaving 6" to 8" trenches at the apex of his turns. On one lift ride up I figured that our combined age was nearly 200 years. 

By 11:30 my legs and back were shot. We headed back over to the front side and I stopped about noon. Arne and Gregory kept at it on #6 and Chet's Dream. I think they got in another 3 - 4 runs by 1 PM. Arne's Ski Tracker gave out before he did. It showed 13 runs but I think they got in about 15 or 16. 

I've been snow sliding since about 1968. I'd have to say Wednesday could have been the best day ever for me. I've had some great powder days but they usually only last a few hours. Snow conditions on Wednesday were amazing until I couldn't take it anymore.  

It was a good day. The pow was dense and deep enough so that you didn't feel the base underneath. Not too cold or windy. 14 degrees all day. Groom was a bit soft.

• Like 1