Note to New Members ×

Yo Lci!!

big mario

2 hours ago, daveo said:

I think Bruce does the long board short side cut thing well. 

Agreed.  The Revelation really wraps into tight turns once the G-force builds!  

I wished I had my 14/15 sidecut EC board for those wide runs, but it was safe at home. 

6 minutes ago, Corey said:

Agreed.  The Revelation really wraps into tight turns once the G-force builds!  

I wished I had my 14/15 sidecut EC board for those wide runs, but it was safe at home. 

Yeah I had my Nirvana built with the short scr and long board for super stability. Just feels so good. The board had so much confidence. 

On 3/12/2019 at 5:22 AM, Corey said:

Thanks! Coiler Revelation 180, 12/13m sidecut. A copy of @bigwavedave's design. I think it's basically an NSR (race board) with a near-radial sidecut. 

Mine has a 13-14m...so, unless you asked for tighter?...but, yes, if you apply the pressure and tip it up on edge she will come around surprisingly tight! 

When I asked Bruce to make me a board with "race-board performance", but with a near radial sidecut, he said he'd been wanting to tweak the NSR design, and had loved riding a 13-14 scr at SES, so was enthusiastic about the idea. He liked it so much on the test ride that he immediately built a copy for himself!

I can't take credit for the design, except maybe the inspiration for Bruce to design something a little different. Fortunately, he thought the idea made sense. I had no input other than basic dimensions (approx length and side cut, and width). 

One of my favorite boards--you can drive it or just ride it, so it's comfortable to be on it all day.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bigwavedave said:

Mine has a 13-14m...so, unless you asked for tighter?...but, yes, if you apply the pressure and tip it up on edge she will come around surprisingly tight! 

Ah, you're right.  That's why I get Bruce to print specs on my topsheets - I can't remember 6 months later let alone years later! 

So that's a 180 with 13/14m radius in the above video.  

• Haha 1

Major "upslope" storm yesterday. Lots of wind but not a lot of snow in Denver. Not very cold. Don't know how Loveland fared as far as new snow. If they got a lot I imagine I-70 is a parking lot and the new snow on the slopes will likely be gone by noon. 

short bus season is rapidly drawing to a close, only this weekend and the next before a big gs race that will close both  twist and swichback for the valley's final weekend

mario

Edited by big mario

10 hours ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

You should start a "John complains about I-70 and crowds" thread.  Or move or something, idk.

Ok. I'll stop complaining. I just won't do I-70 on weekends any more. 

On 3/13/2019 at 4:20 PM, yamifumi said:

Stuck in Colorado Springs as I25 is closed and drinking beer. Dreaming of hardpack day on sat and/sun this coming weekend

I-25 is closed and drinking beer? Is that why it is closed?

• Haha 1

Arne and I rode softboots on Wednesday- really nice easy riding powder. It was like the Loveland of old (probably due to 70 being a mess- sorry JohnE). Virtually no one was there. Upper Richards treeline was amazing. Happy to be back on snow again.

Edited by HillB
  • Like 4

Sublime

And then this happened:

wound up for a scorching toeside and BLAMO!!!!!

I have been waiting for this day since I got my new boots, but it really hasn't stopped snowing, dammit! Perusing the forecast all last week, I saw that we could finally have a firmish day that I could finally show that little beast of a board who is da boss.  And I did, right up until I didn't, and I did again even with a broken boot pivot.

It was soooooo phuckin good today, and we had a good solid crew out as well: Special guest and bringer of stoke Carvin Marvin, Colozeus, Dusty,bottle, Ice, Odd job, the dude, ,XRH(welcome back!) Yasu, and myself. I started the day on a mission, firecut times 3, scrub for 1, chunky groom over there, Roulette for a few, hop on the short bus, totally destroy switchback, and then hop back on the short bus back to the basin to finish out on spill/Richards, where I was 1 and done.  Did I mention it was good today?.

Not gonna make it over to the basin next week, I might ride on Saturday and sleep in on sunday, forecast depending

Till next week

• Like 4

In the Denver Post Sunday morning. The title is "Spring Skiing" but has a photo of a hardbooter. 

The caption identifies Steven McCutcheon at Beaver Creek in 2016. I don't know who he is but he's clearly got it. 

The article is mostly about spring events. Little or nothing about snowboarding (let alone hardbooting). 

Why do the uninformed constantly refer to slopesliding as "skiing"?

Glad you all had a good day. Heading up this Wednesday. 

IMG_1167.JPG

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JohnE said:

Why do the uninformed constantly refer to slopesliding as "skiing"?

It was the first word.  That said looking at some etymology it's easy to see why it could refer to our type of snowsliding as well.

ski (n.)

1883 (there is an isolated instance from 1755; in early use often spelled skee), from Norwegian ski, related to Old Norse skið "long snowshoe," literally "stick of wood, firewood," cognate with Old English scid "stick of wood," obsolete English shide "piece of wood split off from timber;" Old High German skit, German Scheit "log," from Proto-Germanic *skid- "to divide, split," from PIE root *skei-"to cut, split." Ski-jumper is from 1894; ski bum first attested 1960; ski-mask is from 1963; noted as part of criminal disguises from 1968.

skiing (n.)

1885, verbal noun from ski (v.).

THE new sport which has lately been introduced at Beloit is skeeing. They are long ash planks, carefully and turned up at the end, and are warranted to take down hill quicker than a wink. After some practice performers become very expert, and the speed with which they go is something surprising. [Beloit College, Wisconsin, "Round Table," Dec. 18, 1885]

JohnE,

Like what Mr John Deere typed, Speedie Stevie is one of my former athletes along with Mr John Deere.  Right JD, definite right glove violation. Time to take the gloves away again. 

However I treated each of my athletes the same, whether a kid finding an online school for himself so he could be on snow more or a goon outa Loon. Great times with a bunch of great athletes. 

Ink