Note to New Members ×

Yo Lci!!

big mario

Isolation.

Being something of a social person, not one of my favorite things

Definitely did not enjoy on my first 4 runs on a plate. I ride narrow boards because of how quick I can get them edge to edge. I twitch, board turns, life is good.  there was a definite disconnect between my brain and my feet. first heelside I hit on catwalk turned me uphill and towards the trees, I managed to stop by dropping my big ol' butt down and using it as an anchor.  My last toeside about sent me over the bars.  The  Dude bore witness to both to both of the incidents, and will attest to the fact  on that particular conveyance, my shit aint right.  At this point I came to the conclusion that a plate my not be for me, at least on this day, too disconnected, like wearing 2, oh never mind.....

I went back to the flex and grabbed a properly set up board,  got all of my inputs inputiing again, and all was right with the world.

By now, we had lost Dusty Bottle, D.T. was off changing equipment, so Ice , OddJob, The Dude(who was all skwally and shit) Yasu and myself hopped on the short bus for the first time this season.  It did not disappoint, fast firm, and empty, though the dude was almost not able to partake on account of a lifty thinking he had lost a ski. We rutted things up pretty quickly, and in a few instances rather nastily. For all of those that have crossed my tracks, or have fallen in on of my trenches, I apologize whole heartily, it is a rather unpleasant experience, especially the aftermath, which more or less ended the day for me.

mario

5 hours ago, pcABQ said:

always good to hear the news from loveland.

keep carving!

Sooo - Pete - this is your new handle! How are things in ABQ? I haven't heard your voice on CPR recently. I miss it. Do you still have most of your snow-sliding gear?

First and last ABQ carving update.

First, come on down anytime.

Bring your mountain bike, because you can ride year round, and I live

1 mile from a trailhead.

Bring a carving board, because ski santé fe has high quality carving.

2 lifts of 1500+ vert.  local riding, 90 minutes from our house.

Bring an all mountain set up – unless you are Kevin, of course – because if it snows

we can ride some steep trees and you can huck yourself off some rocks.

And bring a fast car, because the speed limit is generally 75, and I drive 65 – 90 mph every day, most any time of day.

December 11.

I was trying to meet Breaking Brad, possibly the only other carver in ABQ.  Who knows.  In the meantime, I went up the first lift with an older guy wearing a red POC helmet – same as mine – and riding some Atomic slalom skis.  He had very little to say to me, snowboard trash that I am.

His gang of skiers were hanging out skier’s left  ¾ of the way down Gayway, a terrific intermediate run, well groomed, very carvable.  I carved a heelside turn well away from them, but close enough to get their attention.  One guy “clapped” with his skis poles as I went by.  At the lift, Red Man said to me, “Nice Turns.”

When I saw him at the lift next run he smiled and said, “Show off,” and we went up the lift together.  This time he had a lot to say: he wanted to know all about the carving set up.

At the top of the lift I said, “You should see my friends in Colorado carve turns.”

Red Man: “I would like to see that.”

So come on down.   You've got a reputation already.

pcABQ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Great to hear Pete! Sounds like you found a great place to carve. I looked at the map and Taos is some distance further. I recall that it is a pretty good ski area but I don't know about the carving conditions. 

Don't you miss the I-70 parking lot?

7 hours ago, lordmetroland said:

You may not like it, but your behavior may necessitate it.

Oh yeah?

GET OFF MY LAWN!

Put that in your pipe and smoke it Mr. Snarky guy guy

Edited by big mario
Obviously my usual rapier wit needs some sharpening
  • Haha 1

My GAWD today was fun! (for me at least)

Started on my Coiler but switched to the DO after 3 runs. Good choice!!! I love that board. 

Snow was good but some runs were variable. I counted 10 weirdbooters out on the slopes. Even got some new ones snared. Nice! The LCI works.  There were some rather spectacular bombs but luckily nobody got seriously hurt. 

But seriously. Nice cool bluebird day, good snow, great crew, and FUN!

Probably not coming up next weekend so I'll see y'all next year. Merry XMAS, Happy (belated) Hanukkah, Festivus, Holidays, or not (if you're not a festive person - I don't judge) 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HillB said:

I'll be there Wednesday! And Christmas too with Odd Job and Ice!

17 minutes ago, Johnny Danger said:

Sadly, I won't be up saturday again this week, but I will be up on Xmas day if anyone is skipping the family thing.

I won’t be there this Wednesday (darn “work” is on the way) but I will be up there for Christmas!

• Like 2

Katie and I with my kids will be up over the holidays. Saturday Sunday Monday and Probably next some days next week/end too. We have 4 packs but anyone willing to "Bring a friend" would be appreciated at the Ticket window. We will post up any days we are heading up to hopefully get a helping hand. Thanks in advance!

22 hours ago, Johnny Danger said:

Woo hoo, It's a tad bit gusty but it's a POWDER DAY!!! 

Did any of that actually stay on the mountain? I saw that they closed everything but 2 and 6 due to wind, some one is going to have a nice 'tweener day today, 8, south chutes, and the south side of bennets should be filled in nicely if things didn't get too wind crusted.

20 hours ago, slopestar said:

Katie and I with my kids will be up over the holidays. Saturday Sunday Monday and Probably next some days next week/end too. We have 4 packs but anyone willing to "Bring a friend" would be appreciated at the Ticket window. We will post up any days we are heading up to hopefully get a helping hand. Thanks in advance!

Sunday as usual, with Monday as well this week, you can count on me for buddy passes on both days,

<6''= dust on crust  <12''= 'tweener day, >12''= powder day

• Thanks 1

I hope anyone that headed up today got some leftovers, it was fun until about 1130 yesterday.

I ended up lapping the leeward runs on 6 and only had 2 other skiers over there with me for the first 2 hours. Knee deep on Keno and nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.

Everyone is correct about the winds though. It was fun until it stopped snowing then the winds hit and it was bare within a half hour or so.

The real bummer was Ptarmigan was closed due to high winds and 1 closed as well, leaving only 2 and 6 open with ground blizzard conditions. Sadly, the lifties were saying 1 will close a lot more now due to the bigger surface area of the chairs. Insert sad horn here.

Seeya on Xmas, John.

Edited by Johnny Danger
  • Thanks 1

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:37 PM, Carvin' Marvin said:

so I would need a buddy pass. 

I'm sure one of us can cover you

Jerry is here.

and there

and everyphuckingwhere

'tis the season

Sunday the 23rd:

Cold, soft groom and bluebird skies, a wonderful yet disjointed day, with one bonehead(me) going" lets ride over there" and changing his mind halfway down the run and neglecting to let anyone else know. Also had an epic toeside blowout to bhudabellyflop on roulette. Cumulatively, I thing we rode just about every groomed run off of 6/reload/chets,and it was all good.  Good crew out, though rarely all riding together Dusty Bottle, OJ, The Dude, Scott, and newbie fruitbooter friend, XRH, Yasu, and myself. And Lance, Katie, and fam

Christmas Eve:

LIES.  Website said lifts spinning at 9, reality was 8;30. Changeable visibility, ,sun/snow/sun/ect..repeat. OJ, The Dude, and myself out for a short one today. Jerry's presence grew stronger with each passing minute, and my legs weren't up for a whole lot today. Dude was out first, myself soon after, Odd Job might still be out there right now for all I know.

Merry Christmas, 

see you on sunday

Edited by big mario
Left out team Riders Lance and Katie, my apologies
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ugh.

The snow was good but the Jerry season is upon us. I counted 4 middle of the run sitters, 3 straight line bombers, 2 side hitters, and a porcupine in a pine tree.

Odd Job, Yasu, myself, Lance, Katie and their kids. I was off the mountain by 10:30 after tweaking my back trying to avoid a surprise Jerry that jumped out of the trees into Drifter. 

I will probably miss next weekend hoping that they take each other out and get off my lawn!!!

On the better note, the Coiler was really happy. I think for the first time I felt better on it than on the DO. The DO is still bonkers though. 

See y'all next time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1