Note to New Members ×

Dear Buck Hill Diary, Season 2, Disc 1

bobble

Best day of carving I've had at Buck all year. Wa-hoo!

Sun, bluebird skies, and pretty calm wind helped it to

not feel as terribly cold as it really was.

Toes had to defrost twice but the snow was worth it.

Going to do a cold-temp wax layer tonight and be back out

tomorrow AM for what I hope will be a repeat of today.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like a good time. The snow Friday was the best I think I've ridden this year as well, but after Bobble left the chair rides suddenly got really cold. The cold/wind just doesn't seem as bad when someone else is there to suffer the chair rides with you.

I wish I could make it tomorrow, but I don't think it's in my cards.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>1/20/2008</td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>-10F in the morning, by noon it was 1F. nasty windchill.</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>sunny!!! blue sky!!! no clouds!!!</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>excellent snow!!! just like yesterday</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td>6; me, bob d, karl. jessie, chad, bill </td></tr></table>

Repeat Performance

excellent snow. blue skies. extreme cold temps. the only crowd was some ski racers. once again we had the "resort" to ourselves. the common complaint heard round was that despite warm clothing everyones feet were freezing. i went inside twice just to warm up my frozen toes. a couple of them broke off and were rolling around in my boot. yeah, i know... annoying.

after a long day of wearing down crossroads, it was great switching to olympic dreams. besides, it would've been a sin to let OD go to waste. karl, bill and myself were the only ones going down OD. when you go from crossroads and the cord is thinning to fresh cord on OD, its like catching your second wind. towards the end it was too good to let go. the lift operations guy (i think his name's chris) yelled to me with a smile "hey you're destroying the beautiful groom!!!".

it was a long day of carving. karl and i lasted till about 2 pm. buck is closing at 6 pm probably due to the cold temps or the packers game.

Multimedia Day

after warming up inside the chalet, i brought out the handicam. took some footage of almost everyone and then karl returned the favor. not sure when or where it will be posted. i hope the lens wasn't fogged. i had a hard time seeing thru the viewfinder to tell if the image was clear or not. my hands were painfully cold from the wind.

Anyone else at Buck tomorrow morn.

gotta work. now i remember why i hated going to lutsen. cold weather ALWAYS on MLK weekend. i hope the runs aren't crowded for you.

welcome to bomber joe!! about f-ing time. :D

bobble, you're crazy for taking video. i know the conditions are good, but they aren't good for fingers. :nono:

-trent

yeah, you are right. its just that how often has it been sunny two days in a row and on a weekend? my fingers were really cold. ice in my glove didn't help either. and my toes hurt when i got home! it felt like someone tapped them on the toe nails with a hammer. i soaked them in room temp water and it felt like i was getting scalded.

We were having fun riding the roller near the bottom - either jumping

it, or riding it "Surfer-Style."

I borrowed the bobble-cam and tried to follow him down the hill - some

more practice will hopefully yield better results - riding without a glove in

those temps is kinda..um... brisk.

I posted some low-res video clips here

More to come... maybe..

Trent

The cam shows something built next to lift at the lower end of Milkrun. The forecast is that the sun may peek out late morning. The good news is that the rollers have been mostly groomed out, so bad light is not so much of a problem. Post if you are going to be there.

BobD

Bobble just so you know, Karl and i totally analyzed the videos you took of all of us, so next time you see me boarding i should be either falling a lot or markedly improved. You be the judge :rolleyes: Also, glad to hear you had a great time in the freakin' cold weather wednesday. Good for you, i BET It was awesome!!

Y'all, we won't be 'round these here parts on Sat or Sun because Karl is racing at Giants Ridge this weekend and i'm heading up to cheer him on Sunday morning. Have fun! Supposed to be warm, hope it's not too crowded for you guys.

PS, BobD- thanks again for the pic- recognize it here? :D

Bobble just so you know, Karl and i totally analyzed the videos you took of all of us, so next time you see me boarding i should be either falling a lot or markedly improved. You be the judge :rolleyes:

looking forward to it.

i have some old videos from long ago of most of us. i saw one last year and i cringed. maybe i'll capture some just to see the evolution of riding styles (carvinism?).

we all ride remarkably different.

Guest jeffrey1knee
We were having fun riding the roller near the bottom - either jumping

it, or riding it "Surfer-Style."

I borrowed the bobble-cam and tried to follow him down the hill - some

more practice will hopefully yield better results - riding without a glove in

those temps is kinda..um... brisk.

I posted some low-res video clips here

More to come... maybe..

Looks like so much fun. Post more asap...

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>1/26/2008</td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>23F</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>flat light but occasionally could see</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>good snow but sharing is not one of my virtues</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td>3 (me, trent. and occasion sightings of the bionic man</td></tr></table>

Morning at Welch

got there at 9am. i definitely didn't bring my A-game. too frickin' tired. i think i would've been more excited if there was sun.

ski racing was happening on bakki and dan's dive. lots of ski people out so we had to be patient. rode wild finally but i couldn't see the rollers. trent seems impervious to lighting conditions. the sky thinned and then i could see but then we were on another run.

My Chemical Romance or (600 mg of Ibuprofen Later)

day was cut short around noon when i lost it on dan's dive. the snow was rutted but not too bad or so i thought. i don't remember exactly what happened because it was so quick. towards the bottom and near the treeline away from the chair i lost a heel side edge. i chattered and bounced on my butt, then hit my back, then my head. i remember my head hitting the snow and seeing stars. i kept sliding down, couldn't stop and went off trail near the bottom. i felt the wind was knocked out of me. trent came down to check. i couldn't get up at first, i felt pain near my hip/glutes. one of those strange sensations where i know i was in pain but i couldn't point to it. i ended up taking off the board and hobbling down the run.

left around noon. got home. hurt to walk. took 600 mg of Ibuprofen and laid down for 2 hours and now i can at least walk.

Snow was xlnt. Light was bad. Mark Skoine, Mike the rock climber an i rode until the ski jammers came out at 10:00. Rode the rope tow on Olympic dreams several times in rapid succession until the thighs said no mas. The jump is big but not too wide and right next to the chair. It is the same width as the bump field of years past. I'll be back tomorrow.

Hope you're feeling better Bob.