Note to New Members ×

Dear Buck Hill Diary, Season 2, Disc 1

bobble

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>12/30/2007</td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>20F</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>cloudy, flat light</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>so-so, icy</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td>quite a few... 7</td></tr></table>

lot of hardbooters out... don't remember names. karl, steve, mimi, etc., and mark skoine (who left after a run, but i don't blame him).

lots of race training going on almost every hill. at first it looked like crossroads was closed because they set up two courses. then they pulled the poles and cut off 1/4 the run. milkrun has a ski jump for the new years eve celebration so part of that run was closed. olympic dreams was eventually closed off about when hardbooters left.

visibility sucked in epic proportions. i had my nephew along so i had to go through the terrain park. there were a few close calls for me. i could not see some of the jumps. the light was so flat that i was blind -- it was scary.

my nephew was out on skis. stayed till about 2:30pm. went inside to warm up, came back out and found that someone stole my nephew's rental skis.he placed them right on next to my board. the kid has big feet, about size 12. hard for me to imagine that someone accidentally took them and skied away with them. i'm hoping that they show up. i asked the ski rental if i was going to get nailed for it and they said no. i'm going to check tomorrow morning.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The ski racers and their three early-morning practice courses on crossroads

foiled much of the carving for the day. Really glad I rode my short board.

Also saw a guy on a yellow FP skating around - maybe giving lessons.

That just might bring the days 'hardbooter sighting' total to a sporadic "eight."

This ongoing "flat-light" issue is really getting old. Somebody please

order us some blue skies.

Bobble: Seriously now, who takes rental skis? Sorry man, that sucks!

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>12/31/2007</td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>14F</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>flat light, light snow</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>snow was excellent, too bad about the flat light</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td>1</td></tr></table>

If Only There Was Sun

not as many racers today. snow was firm and fast. the snow felt great. probably what Trent experienced on Afton yesterday. unfortunately there was no sun... not fun when i can't see the rollers. i did most of my runs on that backside run (red tail ridge?). it was very consistent. i did two runs down crossroads but i couldn't see at all -- i had almost went home. i couldn't see the rollers on olympic dreams. kept going back to red tail ridge and left. visibility seemed to get worse at 10:30am.

at least it was better then last New Years Eve

I Felt That!

saw a tween do a raggedy ann down olympic dreams. she did a long heelside, bounced, caught toeside edge, slammed down on her stomach, up and over her head, then back on to her stomach to slide. she didn't get up while i was watching. her friends came down to help. as i was riding the chair i saw her walking towards the chalet with her rental board crying.

have a safe New Years Eve.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>1/4/2008</td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>28F</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>sun light</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>snow was excellent</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td>1</td></tr></table>

Two Tickets To Paradise

went to welch in the morning. decided on the way home to try buck. got there about 1:30pm. milkrun was great. snow was still firm. i didn't bother with crossroads.

theres a nice wall on milkrun where that ski jump was located thats good for some nice surfy turns. i left when the racers started setting up gates. i think i had more fun at buck then welch in the short time i was there... don't know if it was the snow or toe-side carving off the wall.

Strike A Pose

there was a photographer there that was doing a video/camera clinic. he asked me to carve near him. true to my form i lost toe-side edge right in front of him. did better on second run. i've seen this guy before.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>1/5/2008</td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>32F</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>overcast most of the day, went in the evening. there was a very light fog over the hill</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>snow was soft but otherwise excellent</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td>1</td></tr></table>

Evening...

the snow in the evening was soft but held an edge. it was smooth -- no scraping ice. a little slower then usual. milkrun was excellent but nastar was going on. crossroads was decent but the side next to ballroom had some ice based on the sounds of other boarders. red tail ridge was fun but was crowded with the Family Circus.

the conditions weren't all that challenging but that wall or whatever you want to call it where the shaved the jump on milkrun is a frickin' blast!!! just gotta be careful of others thinking the same thing. saw two skiers almost collide on that wall.

It's so hard to see if they have groomed on the cam when the light is flat.

When I checked the cam this morning, the ski rack outside the ticket office was pulled in. I thought maybe they had moved it to groom. Guess that's not a good indicator.

BobD

the low tonite is suppose to be 24F. they could groom. if they did it'll probably be fast and icy in the morning if they do it late tonite.

not a big fan of icy.

IF they groom, they will wait until it starts to set up to limit the snow loss, they may even wait until morning.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>1/8/2008</td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>? ~28°F-ish</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>Clear evening</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>Very, very hard-pack and icy, with occasional shaved-ice mounds. </td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td>1</td></tr></table>

Evening 8-9:30pm.

Snow was wicked-fast! Recently tuned my edges, and tonight it really paid off.

Even though there were large patches of glossy ice, they were pretty easy to spot and avoid.

Did a few runs on "O Dreams" before settling-in to the familiar routine on "Crossroads."

Lift Op: "Dude - What's up with your board?"

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>1/10/2008</td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>32F</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>n/a</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>parking lot was full !!!</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td> :confused: </td></tr></table>

i tried heading out tonite. got there around 7pm. the parking lot was full !!! :angryfire and cars kept coming down the lanes. it was crazy -- like cub foods. i drove around 3 times look for a parking space. oh well, more money for buck.

so i turned around and went home. i have no idea what the conditions were like. anyone been out since scuff?

pee-wee herman says he's 87% accurate. no new snow till possible next tuesday.

still a few icey patches. Unfortunately, Thursday evenings are Claire's school ski club night. I think it's the busiest race night of the week. Parking lot is always full, kids everywhere and when the racing tails off, there are ruts on most runs.

BobD