Note to New Members ×

Dear Buck Hill Diary, Season 2, Disc 1

bobble

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>12/15/2007</td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>14F, wind was calm</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>Sunny. Excellent</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>lots of new man-made snow but grooming was poor</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td>1</td></tr></table>

Disappointed

so last thursday sucked, it was too icy then. today there was plenty of sunlight and lots of new snow (albeit man-made) but the grooming was poor. crossroads has alot of snow but the grooming was uneven, pocked, irregular, etc. the fall line is all screwed up -- the side of the hill next to ballroom is uphill so if you're going skiers right, its uphill. there are a couple uneven seams near tower 6 that would stop a board or ski. they need to start shaving the bumps down and distribute the snow evenly. i saw a couple people fall near tower 6. one kid took the red sled down.

milkrun has death cookies along the lift towers. there was a race going on. once it was over i went down milkrun near the trees. the snow was very good but then other people started heading over there.

the backside, red tail ridge, was treacherous at first. this is the run that when you get off the quad, go straight, then right. well, the grooming was bad. there's this big mound of snow in the middle of the run. its been like that for awhile. i don't understand why its there. if they're trying to save snow, then why store it in the middle of a run exposed to the sun?

olympic dreams was decent. it has lots of rolls -- pretty easy to catch air. it was fun but then it got crowded with people standing around.

i was disappointed. there was really good light conditions which is something we have no control over only to have a barely carveable run (something that a groomer could fix).

Blue Oyster Cult

the legion of the Blue Oyster Cult showed up today. same crap, different year. the hills were awash in old blue spyder jackets and some (not all) scary skiers. they must've all decided to do a group bomb run down crossroads to announce their invasion. they were 10-15 ft apart and maybe 30-40 people all at the same time. when i saw this i thought you have got to be kidding! it just looked stupid and dangerous. one guy would swing his poles outstretched and defensively like swords. another person would bomb the hill with his poles and hands way above his head -- he looked like he sitting on a toilet ("Mommy!!! Help me!!! I'm stuck!"). what are they teaching these people? the top of the quad was crowded with their ilk just standing around. the runs were getting crowded with pods of ski jammers standing on the run and talking (geezus, talk much?!?). i went to olympic dreams. there was another group standing on the run. i did two runs before that group started to move and do their ski shuffle where they take up the entire run. by the time i did my third run they were almost at the bottom. i almost gave up and went home but i lingered for awhile. when the ski race ended on milkrun then things opened up a bit. snow was decent by the trees.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Blue Oyster Cult Part Deux..........

Bob, was able to get the hardboots on at about 1:30. The Blue Crew were everywhere. Couldn't get a decent ride this afternoon. The death cookies on milkrun sucked, ski jammers sucked, but for my first day in hardboots this season, I had fun. Be nice if they groomed some of the rollers down. Got enough air off one that I felt that I was flying off a table top in the park. Left at 4. Hope to be back tomorrow.

Kenton

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>12/16/2007</td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>19F</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>Overcast all day, went in the evening</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>better then yesterday</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td>2 (me, Bruce who carves with the Rossignal and ski poles)</td></tr></table>

went in the evening. i was out late saturday night so getting up was rough. went to see Trans Siberian Orchestra. sorry Kenton.

boarding was better then saturday. there are still problems on crossroads near tower 5 and 6. some of the new snow from friday looks knocked down a bit.

ran into bruce, the guy that carves with poles. rode with him for awhile.

i left at 7pm. there was a long line out the door at the ticket office -- way past the ski racks. i don't know if that's typical for a sunday night or maybe it was a group party.

should be better tomorrow for all you day runners.

Rode with Powell1.8 today. The mounds are flattening out and there were very few ruts. Grip was very good.

Just to let you know, the ski race coaches had a problem with a skier going through thier course to get to the snow next to the fence. So may not be a good idea to try that for a while.

BobD

I rode for a bit at Buck today. I had to check out what the bootfitter did, which seems to be working well.

The light was terrible. The entire hill was in a cloud. It reminded me of out west. I always seem to end up in a cloud out there.

Switched to a SL board for a bit, which helped.

Only ended up riding about an hour before I called it quits on account of the ultra flat light.

The snow was geat though. Mounds are still there, but no ruts or deep groves. If had not ridden yesterday and known where the mounds were it would have been really scary riding.

been trying to get out more often but work has been a PITA!

i told my manager that this season was my play time.

my reward: 2 extra projects on top of one that requires 100% of my effort.

now i have a manager who's upset that i didn't spend any time on his project when he knew i couldn't break away.

its effed up.

one of these days...

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>12/22/2007</td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>19F (evening)</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>Some snow in the morning. Overcast all day, went in the evening</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>icy</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td>1 </td></tr></table>

the weather report said there was some rain that turned to snow in the early morning hours. i had to make a run to caribou. the roads were wet, gloppy and slick. it was snowing... maybe 2-inch accumulation. the early morning temp was about 32F. decided that with the flat light and wet snow that it wasn't worth it and to try in the evening.

went in the evening. i left after three runs. top of the lift is glare ice. i could not hold an edge going down crossroads. a lot of bare ice. tried olympic dreams and it was all ice in the middle. took the lift back up and went back to my car.

366 days ago the same thing happened.

did anyone try buck during the day? curious to know.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>12/23/2007</td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>12F, windchill -6F (evening)</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>evening lights</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>fresh powdery snow about 4 inch accumulation, icy crust beneath</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td>zilch</td></tr></table>

I Like The Night Life, I like to Boogie...

Dear Buck Hill Diary,

what I'm about to reveal is true. i used to think this happened to other boarder people but that was until this very evening. it all started out as a crappy day... a day of crowded mega malls and last minute christmas shopping. all i had to show for my effort was a bunch of iTune gift cards, a couple books, and a pair of earrings for ms. bobble (she picked them, i slapped the plastic down). after shopping i was beat. laid around the house and watched the snow come down. eventually i got bored. after shoveling the driveway for the second time i decided i needed some action. i grabbed my softboots, freestyle board and headed out to play.

the streets weren't plowed so the drive was a little slow but i got there. 35W was a slow crawl with plow trucks. upon my arrival the parking lot was maybe a quarter full. not many people at buck. hmmmm...

on the way up the lift i was amazed at all the new snow. it looked like what you'd expect on a sunday morning... hardly any people and very few fresh tracks. but this was the evening!

i got to the top of milkrun. i started my run. the nose of my board was disappeared in the snow. i glided down the hill and laughed all the way down. such a turnaround from the night before.

mike n. was out there. he said this was the best all season.

there was so much blowing snow. the winds were gusting at the top. weather says winds up to 25mph. by the time i'd get back to the top the lines in the snow were disappearing. it started to die down after an hour.

the snow was better near the towers and milkrun. its was deep enough that my boots were getting buried especially near the knoll. my toes were so cold and i was wearing thick socks. occasionally the edges would scrape the bottom ice. the backside was really deep near the fenceline. i had to keep hopping just to keep the board planing. i should've moved my bindings back.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>12/22/2007</td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>19F (evening)</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>Some snow in the morning. Overcast all day, went in the evening</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>icy</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td>1 </td></tr></table>

went in the evening. i left after three runs. top of the lift is glare ice. i could not hold an edge going down crossroads. a lot of bare ice. tried olympic dreams and it was all ice in the middle. took the lift back up and went back to my car.

Sounds like I35 & I80 at Des Moines Sat evening. Dozens of cars off the road.

Ended up spending the night there instead of driving through to Park City. Made it Sunday night.

Have a great xmas everyone.

BobD

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>12/24/2007</td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>12F</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>sunshine, no clouds despite earlier weather reports of clouds and snow</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>groomed cord, might've been too soft</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td>6 :biggthump </td></tr></table>

Good Stuff

joe, trent, doug, greg, spanky, and myself. another hardbooter showed up -- don't know his name,

conditions were decent; sunlight, new snow, groom. the snow was a little soft. it made for some slow runs at first but when you compare the snow conditions to the last 48 hours, you really can't complain. not crowded... more like a sunday morning. after a couple hours the snow got a little choppy and sketchy. i'm sure the skiers were hating us, especially Ms. Crabtree. hitting our ruts would've not been fun. i know a couple times i carved into a rut and it threw me off.

when i was leaving, a guy came up to me in the parking lot and was asking if i knew "the dentist" and bob d. he caught me off guard and then i asked why. he said he's a skier that shows up with his kids and takes pictures. he said he hasn't seen bob or tom in awhile and wondering where you guys have been. i think i remember seeing him take pictures last year.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>12/27/2007</td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>26F</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>evening lights</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>snow was soft, rutted, some ice underneath</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td>1-1/2</td></tr></table>

tried my new donek. its going to be a couple sessions before i get used to turning. a whole lot better then last time at welch. now i can at least kick out the tail to stop.

the snow was soft and slow. every now and then i'd run through some deep snow and the board would dig in and brake. switch to my elan. it was no better.

can't believe how much snow we have. suppose to have snow showers tomorrow.

Must have just missed you bobble - Was out (edit) "Thursday" (/edit) from

2:30 til about 6:30pm. Light was really flat during the day,

and the snow was soft and slow. Started to harden up a bit

by the time I left, but still not really that great for holding an edge.

Must have just missed you bobble - Was out Friday from

2:30 til about 6:30pm. Light was really flat during the day,

and the snow was soft and slow. Started to harden up a bit

by the time I left, but still not really that great for holding an edge.

i got there about 7pm. i could hold an edge at the start of the run but it was slow to the point where i'd fall over. i got bounced around alot. milkrun was tough. choppy.

so hardbooter count is 2-1/2 for 12/27/07. i thought i saw trenches on the run. must've been you. there was another guy there... i think he's australian but i didn't think it was his trenches.

i think i'll be at buck this evening after work.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>12/28/2007</td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>18F</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>evening lights</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>a little better than yesterday</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td>2 (me, Scuff and Splashy The Whale)</td></tr></table>

Snow Was A Little Better

seemed firm and a bit faster. it was rutted and choppy on milkrun like yesterday. crossroads was the same. olympic dreams was at least a little more consistent. i think we spent more time on olympic dreams. my only complaint about that run is the lighting at the very top. too bad they couldn't aim another light there. hope for a better tomorrow.

Yo Tengo Una Pregunta!

people were asking about our boards.

"what is that?" asked a teen girl.

"what kind of board is that?" asked a kid.

"alpine boards!!! you guys like riding them?" asked a liftie.

"i wanna see you ride the box on those?" asked same liftie.

"hey!!! bada bada doo-doo" said some kid from atop chairlift.

Maybe... Who Wants To Know?

a woman stopped to ask Scuff about the boards, "you guys race on those boards?". she talked to Scuff for awhile about boarding. it sounded like she was intrigued but not enough to buy a board.

Yeah, the new snow is finally firming up to where it is pretty consistent and carveable.

Icy in spots, but at least you're not blowing through the massive push-piles.

One lady said she used to ride a Burton PJ when she lived in Idaho..

but then "had to switch to skiing" when she moved to Wisconsin er something..

(Yeah.. I thought that was a lame excuse too..)

Was asking if there was a snowboard race league..

Will be out for the Sunday morning carvefest.

Info on Mr Splashy Pants here and here

Was with the d-team this morning in the park, they had gates across what seemes like every run. By the time practice was over, the gates were gone. Made five runs, soft snow over ice with lots of speed bumps and too many people out. I will be out with my kids in the morning but no carving. Seem to have regressed with carving this year.......maybe not enough hill time.

Kenton

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>12/29/2007</td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>23F</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>evening lights</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>what Bubba said</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td>1 (2 counting Bubba, if others then speak up)</td></tr></table>

when i got up this morning i checked the window... got depressed and jumped back in bed. i can't handle this overcast flat light. saw on the web cam that it looked busy. so, i rotted and watched crappy tv.

i went in the evening. i didn't stay long. snow was not holding me up. icy patches. just like you said Bubba.

the run on the backside got the huge mound removed. i tried going down that run but there were too many kids. there was alot of families out skiing.

someone should sell drogue chutes for kids that don't know how to turn. make it mandatory until they learn to turn (i'm cranky). i kept seeing a couple kids going straight down crossroads. they never turned. you could tell they just learned to ski. might as well go sledding. less dangerous.