Note to New Members ×

Dear Buck Hill Diary, Season 2, Disc 1

bobble

I tell you what, I rode today 2/15 and the snow great. It was like baby bear. Just right. Not too soft, not too hard, very consistent, and just fast enough.

It was one of those days were I could really relax and concentrate on what I was doing. It kind of feels like everything is in slow motion, but you're actually going quite fast.

Unfortunately I could only ride for about 45 minutes. I didn't feel like I wasted my $10 though.

Long story short tomorrow morning should be great, if things are as they were.

Anyone riding Sunday morning?

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The G-Team got approval for lane space on Saturday,

so we'll have a group out today running GS on "Milkrun" from 1-5pm.

(There's also a team Halfpipe practice from 9-noon on Sat, so keep

an eye out from the lift, and you might catch some of the action.)

Greg: Thanks for the update. Jessie and I will be out

riding Sunday morning for S.M.@.B. Glad to hear Buck is shreddable.

Hyland's snow was awesome on Wed evening.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>2/15/2008</td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>30's</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>sunny blue sky</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>very soft</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td>SES</td></tr></table>

Sloppy Seconds

i planned poorly. tried making first tracks on Ajax but was way too late despite getting up early. the group had headed up the mountain around 8:00 AM. i got there a little later and couldn't get onto the gondola till 8:50AM.

on the runs i went down; silver dip and dipsy doodle, the snow was groomed but was soft. got to ruthies (its the run most hardbooter gravitate towards) and thought it was too choppy from the carve ruts. i almost went of the nose of the board and it hurt my back some. i left shortly after that run. went to Buttermilk.

Buttersuck

a long time ago when i was young i met my cousin for the first time. she was about 3-4 yrs old and was walking around with a stick of butter in her mouth and eating it like an ice cream bar. :barf:

anyways,,,, Buttermilk was a disappointment. it was so much so that trent jumped onto the next shuttle bus and headed to Snowmass. i stuck it out. there alot of hardbooters that stuck it out too. there was a race on Tiehack and all of the black runs were not groomed. the hardbooters were limited to a blues and greens. i did see some european hardbooters try going through the ungroomed runs and it didn't look fun. i was okay with the soft snow as i was trying to take it easy. the snow eventually packed down. bob jenney was taking some pictures, so was sean martin. every now & then you'd see a pack of hardbooters taking turns carving in front of the camera,

Shwanquet

the cool part of the session is the Shwanquet. it is highly entertaining. i believe there was about 130 people attending. as usual, they had a trivia contest that pitted countries against each other; germany, greece, austrailia/new zealand, USA, and canada. all the questions were mostly snowboard related. one task was to model a raichle boot (i don't remember the model) using play-doh. the groups were given some play-doh. there was a very specific feature of the boot that had to appear on the play-doh boot. i forgot what the feature was but the germans won. they had went as far as to spell out raichle and show an intec cable.

grand prize for the trivia contest was a bottle of Ouzo. the germans had the highest score and won.

they had a raffle for some boards, bindings, boots, etc. unfortunately the cool stuff did not come our way. one lucky person won a virus powder board, it was a split-tail and had this wood veneer that is a work of art, guaranteed to draw people's attention on the lift line,

mr t. won something that was at least useful. i think it was an accessory for td bindings.

trent won a medium size t-shirt. too bad that they couldn't give out XXL, or XLT shirts. no SES t-shirts this year.

i won, of all things, a 2007/2008 Aspen Snowmass Journal. one of those joke prizes. i just knew it was going to happen when fin announced the prize. call it karma or poetic justice. when they announced my ticket i wasn't going to go up and get it. i sat there and kept my mouth shut. trent looks over at my ticket and yells "ITS BOB!!! ITS BOB!!! HE'S RIGHT OVER HERE!!!". his number was one off from mine so he knew it was my ticket. the journal has all these ski/snowboard pictures inside, trivial info, quotes and non-useful information.

for example, do you know the President of the USA phone number? i do now, it's 202-456-1111.

Date 2/17/2008

Visibility Overcast - not bad, but could have been better.

Conditions Groomed. Decent carvable hardpack.

Hardbooters 9 ( +1 new guy - Welcome Rick! )

There was a big group of carvers out today.

Great fun! was like a mini expression session.

Had low light, but snow was grippy and consistant.

Once the ski racers left the hill was pretty quiet.

I stayed a little later to put in some time on my freeride board to test some new bindings/lift plates before I head west. That is a hard transition. I only lasted about three runs. I found out what I needed to know, but I was laughing to myself about how different a freeride board actually is. I feel like I can ride a freeride board fairly well, but it is a whole other game.

Nice to meet you Rick.

Greg

I stayed a little later to put in some time on my freeride board to test some new bindings/lift plates before I head west. That is a hard transition. I only lasted about three runs. I found out what I needed to know, but I was laughing to myself about how different a freeride board actually is. I feel like I can ride a freeride board fairly well, but it is a whole other game.

Nice to meet you Rick.

Greg

did you mount plates to your freeride? you sell your donek axxess?

I didn't mt plates, but I'm going to try that before I go as well. Oddly enough, that's what I did to start riding hardboots. BobD saw this and immediately lent me an alpine board. Thanks again Bob.

The Axis is sold. It was a great board for riding chopped up conditions, but I felt like I don't see conditions like that often enough to keep it. I bought an Osin 3800 to replace it. It's more of a powder/freeride board. I hope I get a chance to use it in Tahoe, but it's not looking good for powder right now.

I think you have become a superstar. My new hero for sure!:biggthump

i'm not worthy! i'm not worthy! anyways, that picture is from last year. i;m sure it'll get bumped soon.

sean martin said at the shwanquet that he's starting a project to make posters of carvers. nowadays you see pictures of skiers in the powder, boarders doing everything cool but you don't see much in alpine snowboarding. i think everyone can agree that the pictures you see posted on some of the links on bomber makes one go gaga. (those pictures are from bob jenney).

the pictures sean took of the people at SES are really worthy of putting on your wall, cube, etc. they had a bunch up of pictures printed on large sheets (11 x 17?) and they raffled them off. what sean said he wants to do is make posters with the donek logo in the corner -- just like burton, ride, palmer, etc. they would be available for purchase. i haven't seen any of the pictures he's taken. i might've been in one or two frames but i didn't see him till the last second. i'm probable in one of those mid-transition ugly shots.

i'd buy a poster from donek if and when they become available. it save me time trying to explain alpine snowboarding.

maybe its another incentive to attend next years SES.

here he comes to save the day!

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>2/23/2008</td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>23F</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>sunny blue sky</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>icy, crunchy underneath the cord</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td>2 (me, karl)</td></tr></table>

Morning

initially, milkrun and crossroads looked sweet while riding the lift up. going down was another story. the groom was a thin veneer and it broke easily into large crumbs(?). very granular. felt crunchy. no laying out turns. rode very upright. always had problems midway -- sketched.

i think karl will agree that it was disappointing. maybe if it warms up a bit the carving will be better but it just felt kinda bland.

Bullet Time

Neo: What are you trying to tell me? That I can dodge bullets?

Morpheus: No, Neo. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to.

ahhh... the classics!

strange coming back to buck. compared to outwest the runs feel very slow. riding crossroads felt like riding teacher's pet. it took awhile to build up speed but then snow/ice underneath gave way during the turns.

we need steeper pitches.

Beautiful day out - but like Bob said, snow was crumbly and not

really conducive to laying out any big carves.

It did get better as it warmed up, but but still not what we had last week..

I may skip Buck and go to Hyland tomorrow morning instead.

Come down to Welch!