Dear Buck Hill Diary, Season 2, Disc 1

bobble

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>3/22/2008 </td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>32F F</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>cloudy and some snow</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>about 1-2 inches of new snow on top of the soft groom</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td>5 (me, karl, joe, joseph!, and mark)</td></tr></table>

Morning

about 1-2 inches of new snow on top of groom. on buck's website they are reporting 9-inches of new snow. the conditions were very slow but easy carving. it was like an etch-a-sketch. the trails revealed dark soft snow underneath. it was okay at the start but after about 2 hours it was forming into small piles.

there were soft spots. i had one of those moments of sudden deceleration when the nose hit a soft spot. it knocked me off balance, my head was looking down at the nose, then i impacted into ground. not fun.

even though it was cloudy with some snow, visibility wasn't too bad.

On My World...

okay. so the snow looked immaculate when i got there. it all turned to crap when these skiers showed up and started scraping snow off the hill. it literally sickened me to death to see these tards swinging their ski poles and doing stem christie turns on MY hill. i say do that crap at hyland! that's why hyland is here for. i went into the ticket office to complain that skiers were destroying the runs. well, guess what? apparently i wasn't the only one that complained. they said that they were aware of the situation and were looking into the matter of whether to ban the stem christie turn and possibly ski poles.

Another Satisfied Customer

looks like there might be another convert.

Started getting choppy so left around 1pm.

Joseph was doing really well for his first time on an alpine board!!

I'm excited to hear he's considering the G-Team next year.

Rider: +1 Met a guy named Dale who was visiting from Illinois.

Was carving pretty well for having not boarded in 9 years.

Variation on a theme.

Was watching a group of three young men who were

slipping > bombing > and then crashing each and every run

I started timing my runs to oppose them and their hijinx..

Was talking with a patroller on the chair when some shouting

and odd movements on the hill caught my attention..

Picture this: One rider was bombing the hill..

The second rider was holding onto the first riders rear leg and being

dragged behind "Superman" style.. on his stomach..

They were cookin' down the hill..and eventually crashed... HARD..

I'm really surprised they both got up laughing..

Jess and I should be out to Buck tomorrow (23 Sun) morning.

Joseph did some trenchin' today for the first time. He and I will be at Buck in the AM tomorrow. He says he likes carving better than skiing groomers after the first experience on the F2.

Bob D - - we borrowed your old Burton Boots from Karl's car trunk. Joseph would like to try them tomorrow. We hope it's OK by you. They seem to fit lika a glove. :biggthump

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>3/23/2008 Easter</td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>32F</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>cloudy, snowing </td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>about 2-4 inches of new snow on top of the soft groom</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td>7 (me, karl, jessie, joe, joeseph, bill, greg)</td></tr></table>

Morning

not very crowded. about 2-4 inches of new snow on top of groom, seemed like more snow then yesterday. it was slow but easy. didn't want to drop the hands or else you'd get snow in the face. milkrun, crossroads, powder ridge ok, olympic dreams was bumpy. overall, good to get out and play.

Easter Sunday Snowboarding?!?

its an unusual event -- snowboarding on Easter??? i thought for sure that buck was going to be closed today.

there's an article in the star & tribune about the easter calendar. march easters are a rare event. the next time we might see another easter on the 23rd is the year 2160. easter is scheduled to be "the first sunday after the full moon that follows the vernal equinox." i don't quite follow it.

Videos

the videos are here... i had problems downloading from the camera. missed karl and greg. not sure why. if anyone needs an cd, let me know.

Ms. Bobble's Creme Brulee French Toast

perfect for inducing diabetic comas, on Easter (in case the jelly belly's don't work).

Ingredients:

* Butter, 1/4 lb.

* Brown Sugar, 1 cup

* Corn Syrup, 2 tsp

* French Bread

* Eggs, 2

* Half & Half, 3/4 cup

* Vanilla extract, 1 tsp

Directions:

melt 1/4 lb butter over low heat. stire in 1 cup brown sugar and 2 tsp cirn syru. keep stirring over low heat until smooth. pour sauce into 8x8 baking pan.

slice french bread into six 1-inch slices. place on caramel sauce.

whisk 2 eggs, 3/4 cup of half & half and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract with pinch of salt. pour very slowly over bread to soak. cover and refrigerate overnight.

bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes. let set for 10 minutes then flip onto serving plate.

What Is The Name Of Your User?

some woman was decked out in some outfit that reminded me of the movie Tron. she looked like Sark and was de-rezzing the hill with skis. when that movie came out it was frickn' cool. looking back now the special effects look cheesy.

post-1112-14184225494_thumb.jpg

I couldn't believe the temp this morning. I'm thinking I may come down tomorrow if they groom. Hopefully they do.

I keep telling myself this is the last day I'll get to ride, but then I get pulled back out by some mysterious force. I'm not going to complain though.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>3/28/2008 </td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>32F - 36F</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>blue bird sky</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>started out firm and fast, ended up slushy</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td>3 (me, bobd, and some new guy</td></tr></table>

Morning

bobd called it. snow was groomed. good day for carving. you guys missed out. milkrun and crossroads were excellent at the start. powder ridge was too soft. when i left it was very soft with ice underneath.

on my 3rd run i tried doing a toeside off that knoll on milkrun. i was going so fast that i was in the backseat. my left hip was in the snow and i could feel heat from rubbing against the cord. i couldn't hold it so i wiped out on my stomach.

alot of skiers were carving their turns. they were trenching up the place. about time!

anyways, nice to be able to end the season on a postive note. what amazes me is that there's alot of snow base still left. buck is closing this weekend. its going to be a depressing seeing snow on the runs and no one riding.

Went for an hour or so this morning with the family. It was actually pretty good. Carvable ice type stuff and not too mucky.

It was good to see the crew again this winter, though not as often as I would have liked. Maybe next winter I'll be on a more normal schedule (employed) and have to get out on weekends more. And of course you guys won't be down at skidderville next season.

BobD

alot of skiers were carving their turns. they were trenching up the place. about time!

It's amazing, unless it's busy most skiers there are caving to some degree and I haven't seen the snow get bumped out at all this season. That's why I have no concerns about BH following Welch's lead. There are so many skiers at Buck who leave trenches now.

BobD

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>3/29/2008 </td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>32F - 36F</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>blue bird sky</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>started out icy cord, ended up slushy</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td>3 (me, trent, and joe kessler)</td></tr></table>

Morning at Afton

the runs were cord with ice. extremely fast! on my first run on trudy i made two turns and then found myself going scary fast. on my third turn i made a toeside and it was just too much of everything. i couldn't handle it. i was rocked towards the back of the board unable to get forward. start to chatter hard, landed on my stomach and slid a long way. the cord literally heated up my pants. on my second run i tried it again and same damn thing happened. it hurt getting raked across the cord.

This is "OH MY GOD I'M GOING TO DIE" Fast

... said trent. he was carving down inga's. i was relieved to not be the only on freaking out. it was the fastest i've ever gone... and then for me to try to stick the carve?!? come on!!! things change on icy fast cord. everytime i slowed down or braked, it sounded like the bottom of my board was getting shredded. i started to sketch out my turns at the top of trudy then carve midway. then the ski race team started to set up gates.

Did Nazi Scientists Really Try To Build A Time Machine?

maybe. anyways, joe showed up sans the kessler. we searched for some better runs. i don't know the names of the runs on the back side. the trail map on the website sucks. suffice to say that those runs were soft but we got some good runs before they turned to total scheisse. one of the runs was semi crowded with skiers. the lift lines got long... free puppies.

Come On Barbi, Lets Go Party! (Ah-ah-ah-yeah)

barbi's challenge has this natural half-pipe. we carved down it with vim and vigor. the shady side was rock hard while the sun side was soft. somewhat of a challenge. so on the shady side you could throw everything into it but once you got to the sunny side you couldn't get too aggro... just hold the edge. there were lots of people speeding down that run so you really had to be on guard going down. its an excellent run... i just wish it wasn't so damn crowded. we did that 5-6 times. trent's got video.

Doppelgängers

there were these telemarkers out on trudy that carving up the run. these guys were skiing faster and carving better then most of the skiiers. one guy even had twin tip skis with telemark bindings. it amazes me that telemark bindings can handle those twisting forces. they were carving with those deep knee turns at incredible speeds. these guys weren't just making the picture perfect telemark turns... they really amped it and were cool to watch.

Afternoon at Buck -- Last Day

since today is the last day of the season for buck, i felt a moral obligation to at least make a couple runs at buck. driving back from afton i could see buck in the distance from county rd 42 in rosemount -- all pearly white. got to buck and ... well... not so much. hey, better then last year. today was either 40 or 41 lift ticket. i did a couple runs on milkrun and crossroads. it was slushy and bumpy. brown at the bottom. i had problems holding an edge. it felt cruddy. i was tired and hungry so i quit after about 5-6 runs.

In Closing...

• phenomenal season. excellent snow!
  • it was good riding with everyone!
  • glad no one got hurt!
  • good to see new hardbooters!
  • regret missing MES at zilch village
  • start thinking about SES. seriously!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5uPmVVEpvs"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5uPmVVEpvs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

i'm glad bob's figuring out the name of runs. i just say "race hill", "bowl", "chair 9", etc.

most of the video is from "the bowl" except the 2 crashes when we were playing under "chair 15".