Note to New Members ×

Dear Buck Hill Diary, Season 2, Disc 1

bobble

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>2/24/2008</td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>30F</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>sunny blue sky</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>excellent</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td>4 (me, karl, trent, kenton)</td></tr></table>

Morning

oops... wrong hill. oh well. welch was decent. snow much better than what i had at buck. fast, cord held well. unfortunately my back didn't. i almost left after an hour but ended up staying till noon. 600 mg Ibuprofen please.

dan's dive was excellent, i think bakki was too. a snowboard course was set up close to wild finally and it was too tight (at least for me).

kinda crowded. skiers were buzzing us occasionally.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kinda funny that you guys had that comment made towards you this weekend... I got something very similar on Thursday from a racer's parent/coach... This weekend, Marquette hosted the USSA J3/J4 Championships...

So I am out riding early and minding my own business... Because their race courses had about 1/3 of the hill closed off too freeskiing, my favorite run had become the obvious choice for warmups/coat running.... So I am going along, and I get to the lift area... I go down to release my back foot and undo my buckles for the ride up... I stand back up and get tapped on the shoulder and hear "Excuse me"....

I turn and acknowledge the guy... He says "hi" and then asks why I am "tearing up" the run I am riding... I say that it's my favorite and that I always ride it... He then tells me that I am "being very inconsiderate to the racers who are warming up for a very important race."

He then explains that the kids are running Super-G and that my ruts are preventing the kids from warming up properly... They are getting bounced around because they are on Super-G skis and that they are trying to tuck and such...

I just give the guy a confused look, say "Ok"... Then being the whitty, smartbutt that I am, I then mention "I'm sorry to be an inconvenience, but if that is a problem, what happens when they have ruts on the race course?"

The guy just says "That's different." I just give up, say ok, and then go over to get on the lift...

It never ceases to amaze me how self serving parents can get when it comes to youth sports... And I don't think I have ever taken an intended insult as such a compliment in my life :p

bobble - peeing my pants i'm laughing so hard. great write up, it's just how i remember it (or wish i remember it).

nmu - you're a racer... have a little more consideration! you're wrecking the run. :nono: or at least that's what we were told today. :D i was hoping that your story was going to be that another carver had tapped you on the shoulder. joe d's kid was in those races, and he was out there. too bad he wasn't around, then you would've had backup from a carver who's also a parent of a ussa kid.

skiers are jealous that we can do on one edge, that most of them only dream of doing with 2 edges.

-trent

than it used to be, even just two years ago. At least many skiers at buck can carve now so the ruts don't affect them as much. I can remember sitting in the chalet early on a w/e morning. Only a strip of milk run had been groomed, so Joe D and another (I forget who) were snatching a few runs befor the gates were set for a junior race. The parents in the chalet were cursing the snowboarders doing so much damage to the course. I remember commenting that if thier kids learned to use thier skis properly and carved on them, it would not be a problem. They had no idea what I was talking about.

I see the old lady (you know who) most days. She never says anything. I heard she is 82 years old so I can forgive her not wanting to learn to carve.

BobD

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>2/29/2008 Leap Day!</td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>31F but very windy</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>started off cloudy then later became sunny</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>soft snow but easily carevable</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td>1</td></tr></table>

Back To Mama Buck

initially the visibility was bad but then the sun started poking through the clouds. eventually it was completely sunny. the wind was really blowing up on top. so much that a couple times it knocked me off balance while trying to put my boot in.

the new snow made for soft carving or hero-like conditions. everything was excellent. tried doing toe-side carves off that knoll/wall/burm. it was too soft and thick like icing. i almost went over the nose so i stopped trying to carve off it and instead jumping off it on heelside and land toeside.

for a friday it was very busy like a saturday morning.

Captial Idea

it frustrates me to no end when i'm standing in the ticket line and there's a family of five window shopping for hats, gloves, etc in the ticket office. the line was already deep and out the door. this grandmother was trying to buy the perfect hat for her grand daughter and so they were trying them all on for size. and then just when you think the line is moving then someone else wants to buy a snowboard rental and some goggles.

its too bad that season pass holders couldn't just wear our season passes like they do up at spirit. i'd almost pay a little more for that extra convenience.

Bomber Diversity Training Module

Lesson #29 -- Inclusion

i was in the corral and sliding my board up to the chair lift. saw some season pass regulars there. two older guys on skis. there was room so i slid up to them. waited for the next group, we all slid forward and waited again. then it was our turn. i push off to get to the red line. i look back and those two guys were back in the line. you'd think they would've got on the chair. it all goes to the same place?!?

what do you think my reaction was?

A) C'mon! there's still time!!! you can make it!!!

B) Want the chair to slow down?!?

C) My lucky day!

D) I shall smite you all with my deep ruts!

if you answered A, B, or C, then you'd be wrong. no points. one point for answering with D however the correct answer is F.O.

Lost Chairlift

got to the top of the chair and there was this freaky guy in the lift house. he kept staring at me from behind the window.

post-1112-1418422519_thumb.jpg

was in the lift house in drag !!!!

Was this a cross between the x-files and Cabaret ? Lizza Minelli posing as ski patrol ?

BobD

its the mystery man in "Lost Highway". its robert blake. in the movie he's this guy that's intensely disturbing. some viewers think he's a hallucination, some the devil.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>3/1/2008 </td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>18F, cold wind blowing uphill</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>good... partly cloudy</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>firm cord</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td>4 (me, mark s, joe d, the bionic man)</td></tr></table>

Morning

i was surprised how much colder it was today compared to yesterday. it made for excellent carving conditions. unfortunately milkrun had a race course set up, so did olympic dreams and powder ridge. did not make it onto those runs.

crossroads was excellent (better then yesterday). although there was racing going on, it didn't appear to be crowded at all on crossroads. no waiting for the run to open up.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>3/2/2008 </td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>35F</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>initially it was good till about 10:45AM, then turned overcast/td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>soft</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td>2 (me, joe d.)</td></tr></table>

Morning

the sun was out when i got there. the snow was soft and carveable... maybe a little slow like oreo cookies. i kinda like it that way. at about 10:45 am the sun disappeared and it was all gray. the snow was chopped up so it helped with visibility. towards the bottom it was starting to turn brown. started to get slushy in the lift corral.

ski racing was going on today. most of the hills with the exception of teachers pet, terrain park, and crossroads were closed.

there was some D-team racing on milkrun. little kids racing against their parents. one kid looked like an ant -- huge helmet, black g-suit, tiny body. not many advanced skiers were warming up on milkrun so the part of next to the lift towers was open.

crossroads also had poles set up to skiers right. it was more crowded then yesterday. occasionally we'd wait maybe at most a minute for the crowds to dissipate. there were people crossing the run from olympic dreams. i was making narrow turns for a short while... nervous of making a wide turn. towards the end i was taking up the hill.

before we left olympic dreams opened up. joe and i did two runs. it was decent along the south fence. still cord left.

overall, just another decent day even with the flat light and race courses.

isn't too bad. It was carvable only if you didn't get the tiniest bit lazy. My guess is a couple of nights of grooming would bring it back. If we get some snow wed/thur it should be great for the w/e.

Went to Giants Ridge this last w/e. Ski raced Sat, but boarded Sunday. Never thought I would be anoyed by groomers. The cord had set up perfectly overnight and made for some awesome carving, but then the groomers started comming through, making it too soft. Can't win I guess.

BobD

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>3/8/2008 </td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>8F</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>partly cloudy</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>firm cord -- the kind to grate your gloves on</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td>1</td></tr>

<tr><td>364 Days Ago</td><td>mid 40's back then</td></tr></table>

Morning

wish i could've been out friday.

last night the temps droppped down to 0F. it made for excellent cord -- very firm. easy to lay out turns. gloves got shredded. my only complaint is there's alot of ice chunks in the lift corral.

gates were set up on milkrun and olympic dreams. no surprise. primarily rode crossroads.

hardly anyone there. after 30 minutes the toes were cold. after an hour it was hurting. left after 1-1/2 hours.

The Bobble Code

sure, why not?

W I S H I C O U L D ' V E B N E N O U T F R I D A Y .

L A S T N I G H T T H E T E M P S D R O P P P E D D O

W T T O 0 F . S T M A D E F O R E X C E L L E N T C O

R H - - V E R O F I R R . E A S Y T O L A Y O U T T U

R I S . G L O Y E S G O T S G R E D D E D . M Y O N L

Y N O M P L A L N T I S T H I R E ' S A L O T U F I C

E C H U N K S E N T H E L I R T C O S R A L . M A T E

S M E R E S E N U P O N M I L K R E N A N D O M Y M P

I C I R E A M T . N O S U R S R I S E . P R I M A R I

L Y R N D E C R O S S R O A C K . H A R D L Y M N Y O

N E T H T R E . A F T E R 3 O M I N U T E S T E E T O

E S W E R E C O L D . A F O U R A N H O U R I Y W A S

H \ R T I N G . L E F T C F T E R 1 - 1 / 2 H O U R S

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>3/9/2008 </td></tr><tr><td>Temp</td><td>20F</td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>started out flat but then improved. by noon it was sunny</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions</td><td>light snow over cord firm cord</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td>5 (me, bionic man, steve, wild bill, trent)</td></tr></table>

Houston, Tranquility Base Here. The Eagle Has Landed

got off to a late start. i hate daylight savings time. seriously, reason?!? i enter the ticket office. my phone rings as i'm getting my ticket, i fumble for the phone to answer it, "uhhh... hello?!?"

i hear "YOOOUUU SUCK!!!".

like the idiot i am i answer "uhhh... okay? why do i suck???". i'm standing there waiting for the person to say something then i realize the person had already hung up. i look up and the ticket gal is looking at me weird. i guess its atypical phone conversation.

five seconds later phone rings again. i answer again, "hello?"

once again i hear "YOOOUUUUU SUCK!!!!". another hang-up.

yep, trent made it to buck.

Todays Conditions

there was a thin dusting of new snow on top of cord. the edges held well but it did sound like ice underneath. regardless, it was more goodly. hardly anyone there.

once again milkrun had gates. they also groomed in three 1-2 ft drops (?) in the run to make it interesting. i was underwhelmed by the participation of this event. didn't see much racing. maybe it was going to happen in the afternoon?

olympic dreams had some poles set up but no one was riding there. we ventured over there for a couple runs. it was decent. the run was narrowed by the poles. the snow was faster. felt great.

we chewed up crossroads. towards the bottom third of the run the ruts were getting bad.

the more and more i look around it seems the hill is really flat. started doing quick turns to do something different.

Carved 360's, Fact or Fiction?

trent had me video record him carving 360's at the bottom of crossroads using his camera. the light was very flat when i recorded this event so it might not be the greatest viewing. when i showed up he'd already been there carving 360's into the snow. so, yes, its fact.

i also recorded steve and erik but not trying 360's. trent returned the favor and recorded everyone else. hopefully he'll have time to post the clips.

Hoigaards In Burnsville Is Closing

kind of a shame. today is the last day. bought an edge bevel.

I took Zoe to Welch today. We were off to a late start too, stupid day lights savings. It was icy, not horibly, but not confidence inspiring. I was riding my freeride board though.

After a while I had to switch to my slalom board. The freeride board was getting boring. The ice somehow magically disapeared in the time it took to switch boards.

Zoe was carving Jon Jon up on her skis. She was a little timid at the top, but was looking very good at the bottom. I was seriously impressed. Jon Jon is her knew favorite run. I can work with that.

Anyway here is the quote of the day. This came from Zoe, and is no joke.

"Dad, I almost fell in one of your carves."

She didn't seem too upset by this though, and I certainly didn't hear her complaining about it. Go figure.

After having a good day yesterday with Trent and Bob I figured one more day would be in order. I looked at the forecast and figured I should duck out of the office early.

Got there around 4 and the snow was soft but it continued to firm up as the night went on. I was out on the slalom board again and was really loving it. I adjusted the angles to 54/51 and my ankle held up (whew!).

If this was my last time out for the season it was a great night!