Note to New Members ×

How to Carve a Snowboard

crackaddict

Tell me more about the cat- I love smokey gray cats!

Good content, maybe a bit wordy but well done for doing this on your own.  One point that always seems to come up is finishing the heel side turn without washing out (too little pressure) or chattering (too much).  The delicate balance between the two is complicated by over-rotation from neutral.  Some of this can be mitigated by lifting, canting and forward lean adjustments, but those are only adjustments and don't necessarily fix the issue.  The middle ground angles of 20-30 front and 10-20 rear seem to be the worst in my experience, whereas duck and extreme alpine are less so.  

Thanks for taking the time and putting in the effort to create this.

D.

• Like 1

Hey James!

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
You truly one of the best softboot carver out there an it’s cool that your taking the time to share your tips to help others.
I’m a snowboard instructor/evaluator been teaching for 15 years and I love seeing a great how to carve video. A lot of good tips and helpful drills. Amazing work pretty sure it’s going to help many aspiring carvers.
Have a good season!✌️

Guillaume

• Like 1

I appreciate this effort. The intro is rather antagonizing to other groups and styles. That’s been tried (ahem, EC vs Bomber/racer style) and I can tell you it’s pointless. As much as I agree that falling leaf is not snowboarding, if somebody sees another style and says to themselves wow, I need to carve more, that’s a win for all of us.

And I’d love it if we could retire the term Eurocarve. :biggthump

• Like 9

From having made a couple of instruction videos of my own, I know only too well how much effort and time goes into these.

40+ minutes is a long time. An alternative would be to break the subject up into shorter sections, perhaps focused on a single component that an aspiring carver could work on. Then a final one putting the components together.

More focused segments also allows tighter scripting. Shorter shots edited together means you have less to remember to say and don't need to refer to your script as you were towards the end.

Creating a video plan beforehand, of each individual shot and exactly what it will contain helps to tighten things up nicely.

Typo check: Extention or extension?

Loved the lecture aid of the slot cut in deep snow! Adds to your cred that you live in a place with so much snow.

Thanks so much for taking the time to pass on your knowledge.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Deuxdiesel said:

Tell me more about the cat- I love smokey gray cats!

That's Smokey himself!  He's about 16 months old now, he loves investigating the forest, hunting mice and harassing the local chickens.  His pet peeves are a dirty water bowl and a cold woodstove.

6 hours ago, Jack M said:

The intro is rather antagonizing

Yeah, that was intentional...  You know me @Jack M, always trolling.   It's my online persona, I'm nicer in person.

Funnily enough I was riding with @b.free today and he was explaining the differences between European extremecarving and Russian extremecarving.  Respect and love to all carvers (even the duck footed ones).

2 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

An alternative would be to break the subject up into shorter sections

That might happen later.  I know that's the way things are done on the world wide web, but I just wanted to package everything together to start and give people a one stop shop for the theoretical knowledge.  It's my magnum opus, if you will.  In my dreams it becomes the new cannon for carving curriculum and the foundation on which new ideas are framed in the future.  Part two will be shorter.

2 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

Typo check: Extention or extension?

You got me.  The editing software you downloaded for me last year doesn't have a spellchecker...

• Like 3

Thanks for the informative video. Thats a lot of works!!

Your style is a combination of Swiss EC (Rotation) and Russian EC (back and fore), without fully laid down.

You've got a very strong body. Nice carving!

Amazing video!  magnum opus indeed.  
putting clear conscience words/describing something my body can barely do.
i send it to bunch of my softboot friends that love carving.

one problem after watching:  urge to run away from work and joining the circus rising.

The content is not specific to setup: hardboot vs softboot; but any addition on hardboot that you want to point out/share?

Good reminder:

Funny - when i first starting out:  most of these article does not click/make much sense.  I do think some beginner will still get lost by your video.  We have so called the "burden of knowledge".  To standardized nomenclature allow for much more effective communication and distribution of wisdom. 

clickhttp://alpinesnowboarder.com/tech-articles/

love that feeling hand touch down (center of radius) and draw a circle with my snowboard and continue over and over....

Finding our own style that work i think is the most fun part.
freedom of varying degrees of rotation/compression, extension, push/pull/angulation/bomber/race/euro 

2 hours ago, hknz said:

Your style is a combination of Swiss EC (Rotation) and Russian EC (back and fore), without fully laid down.

Don't want to open a can of worms but I disagree with that......🤔🤔 May be other members' opinion ?...

@crackaddict Nice job mate, and strong riding !!  👌👌

nice vid @crackaddict. as we know, there is very limited accurate and useful carve specific information on the internet. at this day and age, this is where people look. saturated with shorts, tips, etc. I don't know all the terms of using others clips/pics/etc. but hope you reached out to ask to use what you did and maybe linking credits to those demonstrates due diligence even further. in most cases in the snowboard community, they're supportive or at least should be. for a lack of a better way to say it, some are just greedy and chalk it up to 'business is business'; sadly. i hope the vid stays up. some of the language may be new to aspiring riders, but truth is they need to learn it and someone needs to explain it... whether or not they listen. it is a starting point for explanation. the execution is the responsibility of the rider. I for one can appreciate the longer take and the time and effort it takes to put something like this together. probably been sitting on this since last year and to get anything but positive feedback can be deflating and discouraging. haters gonna hate no matter what, so keep doing your thing and following your passion. the persona is your own, but with 9k views in 24hrs this may be something to reconsider. you're better than that and the information you're sharing is valid information. dare i say timeless. not all of it, but most. looking forward to a Part 2 sequel and many others. cheers buddy!

Edited by dhamann

Excellent vid! Though I do agree with @Jack M about the intro bit.

Even though I carve black diamonds with a duck stance myself, I think saying that it's way harder than doing it posi/posi is correct and I think the approach you teach is the best way of teaching duck riders to carve better. I too only managed to carve steeps with a duck stance after first learning to carve them with a posi/posi setup. So even if the goal is to learn to carve steeps with a duck stance, the way to go is to first learn what you taught in the vid.

When people keep asking me how to do those deep duck carves, I always tell them to learn posi/posi first, preferably with hardboots (because it's easier).

Yesterday I tried posi/posi angles with my 300mm wide 16m scr Contra and it was way easier to nail the heelside carve on my favorite black run than with a duck stance. Duck still feels more fun to me so I'll mainly stick with that but it was a fun test.

Edited by Xargo

9 hours ago, nextcarve said:

Maybe one day you cooperate with @b.free on a tech-vid called "EC with pencil line carves"

Been thinking along those lines...  @b.free is actually in Revelstoke this week but it's too cloudy and soft to shoot.   He's so knowledgeable and a very impressive rider to boot.  It's been a blast, I learned a lot. 

14 hours ago, Xargo said:

way easier to nail the heelside

Of course it was!  I'm still waiting to see footage of your new ride (non selfie footage, that is).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2024 at 11:06 PM, crackaddict said:

I'm open to feedback

Nice riding and videography.

In professional ski/snowboard instruction, the word flexion is used to describe what you are calling "compression", because flexion is the opposite of extension and the body's joints flex and extend.  Joint Compression is a therapeutic strategy where pressure is applied to various joints throughout the body.  

In ski racing, you can find discussions about tall transitions versus compact transitions.  However, tall positions are achieved by extension and compact positions are achieved by flexion/retraction.

In case you have not already read it (or a newer version), here's a link to the Canadian Association of Snowboard Instructors 2021 Reference Guide https://casi-acms.com/PDF/CASI_RefGuide.pdf

Quote from page 17 in the CASI Reference Guide: "Small Steps Are The Best Way To Learn".

I hope you find this beneficial.

• Like 1

Lotta patience going on. Great advice for foundational skill building. Then shows clips of stivot and pop. “Beeend… and snap”. Tip edge up and pressure, make round turns is Barnes carving fun-damental advice. It’s just that easy. Noticing more boarders on the hill turning and holding an edge, being patient throughout. A lifty also said he’s noticed a lot of snowboarders making turns like that, as I approached the lift. Maybe a dedicated mountain awareness video, as the popularity of this trend and fame continues. 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 10:58 AM, crackaddict said:

Of course it was!  I'm still waiting to see footage of your new ride (non selfie footage, that is).

I tried today to stick the camera to the side of the slope but resolution is just not enough for my liking. Posi/posi here because I had race practice at the morning so this is with AT boot setup and +45/+55 angles or something like that. 247mm wide Contra ECC with 16m scr. Forgot to take off those shin guards so not the ideal setup but the goal was to try the camera setup anyways.

I'll try to film a similar clip about the duck carving as well but personally I much prefer the selfie stick or even the helmet mount footage.

Edited by Xargo
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, softbootsurfer said:

Slo Mo, from Front and Sides

Coming in part II.  Frame by frame analysis.

5 hours ago, Xargo said:

stick the camera to the side of the slope

Much better, now I can see what's going on.  Good turns.

3 hours ago, Jonny said:

I haven't ridden soft boots since 1989

I understand there have been some advances in snowboard carving tech since then...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello, as @pow4ever has timidly pointed out, I, probably among many others, would like to know, given the fact I know you are also an accomplished hardboot rider, what would you add or modify from the video regarding hardboots? There is no video out there as complete but with hardboots. Do you think sometime you could do a similar video but with the hardboot technique? That would really be awesome...

In any case I want to thank you for putting such an effort, it is nice having it "all" in one single video. 

Keep on trucking!

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 10:58 AM, crackaddict said:

I'm still waiting to see footage of your new ride (non selfie footage, that is).

So before my trip to another resort I wanted to go capture another vid from the same place with duck setup this time so here goes:

That slam was so fun I just had to include it. 😅

I had some work stuff this morning so couldn't make it to morning groomers so this is from afternoon. Much worse surface than yesterday (the previous vid) but still plenty of fun.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but rather show how the techniques you teach in your vid can be used for duck stance carving as well. I'm assuming most of the people watching softboot carving tutorials these days come from duck stance and some of them might get motivated if they can think they can some day carve well with duck stance by learning to carve posi/posi first.

• Like 1