Note to New Members ×

How to Carve a Snowboard

crackaddict

On 1/28/2024 at 9:18 PM, crackaddict said:

Gotta disagree there... 

First of all, I only have two tricks (toeside and heelside) and I've pretty much posted my best examples of these.  It's hard to get good riding video.  I gotta find a competent videogapher who's available on short notice when the groom is good and the sun is shining, but I haven't seen the sun since we shot the hands in pockets stuff three weeks ago.  We had some great days last season and got some good footage but our cameras were not great so slow-mo or zoom-in doesn't work. 

Secondly, it seems people want the knowledge.  Look at @Justaride-Snowboard-Channel for example.  Lars started the season with about the same number of subscribers as me (450) and, I assume due to lack of snow, started posting videos of himself talking to the camera in his attic.  I don't think he's posted a single riding focused video this season and he's up to 3600 subs!  Look at this guy: @shmsnow.  He has some instructional stuff but his most popular video (100k views) is 32 minutes on "how to wax your board in 15 minutes".  (See the irony there?)  This other guy @skng has 733k views on a video titled "how to put on your ski boots"!!!

Unless you're Markus Kleveland you're not gonna get a lot of views with only riding.

My reasoning is that you first got people's attention by showing your riding but that doesn't get you subscribers. If you take a look at my duck stance carving vid I released a month ago, that's got 28k views atm. but I only have 155 subscribers and I started from around 80 (I'm not really interested in growing my channel though). The interesting thing I just noticed when I looked at some stats is that most of those are pretty recent which is pretty logical since now the season is on. So release timing is important too.

But the main point is that you don't get subscribers by showing your riding even if you get views. But you will get their attention and when you then show them instructional video how to ride like that, you get to where you are now. Lot's of views and healthy amount of subs too.

So yeah, I do agree with you that instructional videos get you subs but people won't believe you unless you show them the end results and that's where the riding comes in. You did do that and it works. Looks like your examples also use that approach.

@shmsnow shows impressive thumbnails. You don't even have to watch the vid and you already get a lot of attention from just the thumbnails. @Justaride-Snowboard-Channel also has well designed thumbnails. Those get you a lot of views from Youtube algorithms. Both show what kind of riding you can achieve even without having to look at any of their vids.

But it's the @skng example I'd like to point out the most. His thumbnails look really professional and if you hover the mouse over them, you will see the riding in many of his vids. That's what I meant in the first place. Take a look at "How to Ski Parallel - Intermediate Ski Lesson #3.1" with 1.5M views for example. The thumbnail already shows clearly what the video is about and if you hover over it, you'll see a cleanly executed intermediate turn. So you know straight away what to expect if you watch the video. The riding isn't anything special in that example but it clearly shows what the video is about.

Also one reason why I suggested to show more riding was that I thought it's easy to make that kind of vids. 😅 Of course if you have to book a videographer, that gets harder but grabbing a selfie stick is easy. Maybe I thought that too much from my own perspective since I film like 70% of my riding anyways, so I thought the riding footage is already there. I don't think showing the same style of riding over and over again is much of a problem. Just take a look at Ryan Knapton. I watch all his vids even though he pretty much rides the same style in every vid.

Then there's the point about video quality. Selfie stick solves the resolution issue of the 360-cams. I totally agree that it's hard to get high quality video from far away but with selfie stick or helmet mount, the camera is close to you at all times which results in good image quality. Of course the perspective has its limitations but the ease of video capture and the high image quality is worth the tradeoff imo.

It's a pity we don't ride the same resorts since I have all the gear and know-how to capture high quality video but I have no-one to film and there's no-one to film me with all my fancy gear. 😅 I work for this institute, so that might give an idea what kind of gear I have access to: https://memo.aalto.fi/

Edited by Xargo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Xargo said:

secondIt's a pity we don't ride the same resorts

How the snow in Norway this season?  Anything can happen but our season is expected to be short.  Let's talk in March...

Today I will release a six minute summary of the "Secrets" video, just the core lessons and four drills.  Only 4% of my viewer made it to the end of my 42 minute monstrosity so I thought a more digestible piece might be well received.

Next up are two videos shot in my boardroom, the first on interface (boots, bindings, risers) and the second on boards.  After that I might like to turn to some video analysis of my own and others' carving.  This was supposed to be in Part I but I had to finish up and publish without it. 

I might do some live feeds too.  A friend who is handling my Chinese social media and has asked for live feeds to engage my audience.  I'll probably do simultaneous sessions on YT and Red Book.  These I expect will be far less time consuming than shooting and editing, and may work well to acquire the influence I need to push my agenda.

I do have some good footage that I haven't released yet, and I can always recombine some old footage without too many people noticing.  I made a mistake last spring with the "Crushing" video: those were most of my best turns for the season, I didn't hold enough back.  Those who ride Revelstoke and know those sections were certainly impressed, but I should have stretched in out to four 90 second videos instead.  Viewers lose interest after a few turns.

Even my ASB brothers are bored of my riding videos...  I put a new one on the "Softboot Carving Worth Watching" thread a few days ago and didn't even get a single like!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, crackaddict said:

That video will have to remain private...

For "private" lesson contact 🤣 the end was great.

i like it:  there is an element of  Zeno's paradise at play
holding tray - static/good start
directional tray - a bit more dynamic
hand on knee - more dynamic 
dynamic weighting/compression <-- this is the step that Eureka moment that elude me from 1-3 for a long time.

Akin to how to convey the feeling of carving to those who is not yet ready to receive it or have not experience it?

those who get it already have burden of knowledge.  How do we bridge that gap between step 3 to 4?
some might have problem from step 1 to 2.  everyone progress differently.  some might have jump straight to step 10.

here is where Zeno comes in - unless someone is at the same cusp of discovery - it's difficult to try to explain that half of the half (Dichotomy Paradox).

It's gotta start somewhere and a great start.  I enjoy it and watch it a few time.  <we need more cat content>