Note to New Members ×

Helmets - what is everyone using?

LambertoMI

I use Giro because it’s the only brand that fits my xxl oval head. My advice is buy from a local shop with good selection and get the one that fits. For me MIPS and adjustable venting were required features. 

Also, they should be replaced a lot more frequently than every 20 years. Plastics have a limited lifespan. 

• Like 3

Agreed on the sizing issue.  I also use Giro because of my shape.  My helmet is from 1998 when i bought my first helmet.  Pre MIPS and everything else.  I bought it when i realized I was going too fast not to have a helmet...  I like the idea of the built in visor, but not sure about fogging and such in the midwest.  We get sleet, rain, humidity in Michigan similar to you fellows over the border from me.

the beanie helmet has good specs!

for zero fog, decent ventilation, and nice integrated blue-tooth ph/audio add on, not to mention high intimidation, go RuRoc !! ..the chin piece is optional/removable. I answered a work call at top of chair in the wind “in the office”.

IMG_0960.jpeg

IMG_0089.jpeg

• Like 1

Another vote for "whatever fits your head best" as the most important criteria.

If you try helmets on in person, bring your goggles to make sure they fit together well. If you also need new goggles too, go to a store that sells a wide range of both and try on lots. It's generally easier to buy a helmet and goggles from the same company to help ensure a good match, but I'm sure you could find a mixed brand combo that would work as well.

• Like 2

A little annoyance to watch for is that the size adjuster knob on the back of my Smith Camber MIPS helmet has a nice grippy, rubbery surface.  It's great for getting a grip on when wearing gloves.  But, that wheel gets enough grip on my collar that the adjustment will loosen up as I rotate my head from side to side.  It would be better if either the knob were harder to turn, or if the surface were less grippy.

• Like 1

As an alternative to Ruroc, I know a handful of people who swear by CP helmets now. Similar integrated visor deal, though the visors can be swapped. I've yet to try either, but what I've been told is that the CP visors seal better against the helmet, so no snow gets through. And supposedly they are glasses friendly. Again, no personal experience, just what I've been told by people who like them.

Personally I just bring my goggles to a ski shop and look for something that fits, has a bright color, and has all the bells and whistles (MIPS, light weight, and a lot of adjustable vents being the main ones, but also I love Fidlock buckles).

• 1 month later...

Having a "fixed" visor is practical, but the main reason I love visor helmets is the much wider field of vision compared to regular ski goggles. The visor has to really fit the contours of your face though and there are huge differences between the fit of different makers, so it pays to try them all if shopping for a visor helmet. I have the Head Radar MIPS helmet with photochromic and yellow lenses, and it's the greatest snow helmet I have ever had by far.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a Pret Cynic helmet last year as a replacement for my 15+ year old Giro G10.  You have to take the whole thing apart to flip the liner to the "vent" position, which is a PITA, and the ear flaps are miserable to remove.  It is also for a more round-ish head, so that is something to consider.  I think I will strip it down to Spring mode and leave it there and get a different helmet for 90% of the cold and grey riding that I usually do.  

• 4 weeks later...

I have this (or similar older model) I got it to be able to wear glasses under the goggles without them being smashed into the bridge of my nose. For that it works great and you look like an Apollo 13 naut. The down side with this system is that the fit is not tight enough to keep out snow if it is snowing, blowing or you do something snowy towards your face.

image.png.d43c0ea88fdf8bc4685e8bb2ea32db2a.png

image.png

I've been sporting a carbon Osbe Race helmet the last few years and it has served me well.  Light weight, warm with ventilation if needed  and fits well.  Small brand presence here in the states.

Not my cup of tea but here's a link to an review of an Osbe  with integrted visor :

https://gearjunkie.com/winter/osbe-proton-helmet-review

Resized_20240327_190846.jpeg.23d0df258e756c10f6caedfd99a4db0f.jpeg

I use a Ruroc and generally like it. But in my next helmet/visor combo I'll be looking for something that has wider vertical vision. I find the field of vision through the Ruroc goggles rather limited. Lateral is alright, but vertical could be better.

Edited by Aracan

• 2 weeks later...