Note to New Members ×

Powder TD3 SW SI's Binding De-Icer??

barryj

On these daily Sierra powder days when getting off the lift I'm spending way too much time and energy  trying to beat the snow/ice build up off the bottom of my Track 425's boots and from the base of the step-in receiver to get them to hook up!

No I'm not changing my pow boot/binding setup....so working with what I got.............what say the Powda Sages ..............is there a technique or some spray application I can put on my heel receiver to decrease the ice buildup?   

On the ride up the lift I always am knocking my rear boot against my front boot and on the top of the rear heel receiver  .......but in this Sierra cement and when it's been like it is now, over 20 inches of new deep every day it's not enough! 

No powder here but I get buildup when the temperature rises from below freezing up thru freezing.  My buddy and I keep little ice scrapers in out jackets for those days.

I found that regular gray duct tape stuck to the toe pads and the top of the red "ice breaker" on the Bomber step-in receiver on the bindings, and the heal and toe pads on my boots stops a lot of the ice build up.  The tape doesn't last forever, but it will usually last all day and we take a lift ride every four minutes here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dredman said:

I'm with this guy! Add loop Velcro on the board and hook on the pad and now it's removable for travel or plates. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Corey said:

:biggthump I'm already using those Dakine Stomp Pad Spikes!

I'll try duct tape on the step in receiver tonight for night riding at Boreal to see if that makes a difference. 

12 minutes ago, dredman said:

love the velcro addition! 

....photos???

12 minutes ago, dredman said:

use the heel receiver on the SW Stepin to scrape

Yeah..........do that already on the lift ride up and stomping on it when off the lift. 

Great topic Barryj, and advice - love tape idea - will give it a shot.

It has been snowing a lot here and I've also been having trouble with ice and snow build up. I often just take mitts off and dig with finger nails, but lately I carry a small scrapper that came with some bindings I bought from Phantom. Its about business card sized. I pull mitts off on chair and use scrapper to dig out ice from screw holes and other surfaces of heels and toe rubbers on Deeluxe 700 boots. Scrapper is also useful for working on ice build up that occurs on my non-stepin bindings.

scraper.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wolf said:

regular gray duct tape

Photos from this evenings  tape test.   I used red Duct tape on the rear heel receiver and that area stayed totally clear of snow and ice while riding tonight :biggthump  ..........but the rear boot heel is still clumping up and I have to stomp it on the rear heel receiver numerous times once off the lift before I get a solid hook up!  :smashfrea

Seems there's got to be a spray?  to cut down snow sticking to the heel.....but without making the heel even more slippery? ??    :cool:

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

• Like 1

Here are a couple of pictures of the duct tape method. 

The boots have last years tape and I think that tape has two days on it.  That's at least 100 lift rides and several walks to and from the car.  That tape is in rough shape and due to be replaced.

The binding has old tape on the toe block.  It's been used for a day.  It fails when the hollow above the mounting screws eventually punches through.  The tape on the heel is new.

This isn't pretty, but it's helped me a lot.

Boot-Tape-2.jpg.90e4688f0b74bb5547bd02cb4354a538.jpg

Boot-Tape-1.jpg.49ba3b2ecfa339c6f3ba125eae7d2a14.jpg

Edited by Wolf
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Wolf said:

several walks to and from the car.

Huh!  I had thought tape might help reduce snow buildup But make the heel more slippery for walking!   ....and my Fintecs are already notorious for sending ya ass over teakettle if your not carefull! 

I replace the red heel rubber on my Fintec heels every season but even when in good shape Fintecs are more slippery than snail snot!

I've taken some pretty good walking yard sales because of  those heels! 

Need something that reduces snow buildup and provides as good if not better grip!   Maybe some gritty gaffers tape could do both jobs???

• Like 1

I see two issues with the sidewinder heel receiver.  First is the omission of the icebreaker bar on the heel receiver, however this is easily overcome with a good stomp pad like the one the was already recommended.  The second is the metal heel receiver itself as ice builds up in the corners of the base and receiver.  What CAN'T be fixed duct tape! 👍  Perhaps better would trazon tape or flex/gorilla seal tape which would be waterproof and more durable. The trazon tape would certainly be a better choice for the boot soles.  Snow/ice shouldn't stick to any of those choices...

• Like 2

I prefer the plastic F2 intec verses the metal Fintec ones. because plastic doesn't conduct cold like metal. As for removal I use a yeti bottle opener tethered to jacket on the lift and try if possible not to step on snow before stepping in. But if you have to paddle around I use the Dakine stomp pad that has this nice scraper along with the crabgrab stomp pad to clear snow which is very similar to the dakine one mentioned earlier. 

https://www.amazon.com/Dakine-Modular-Stomp-Size-Clear/dp/B06Y5RL1V1/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=7kR4C&content-id=amzn1.sym.e4bd6ac6-9035-4a04-92a6-fc4ad60e09ad&pf_rd_p=e4bd6ac6-9035-4a04-92a6-fc4ad60e09ad&pf_rd_r=4ZFWFYQ1G8FWXF8W3Y59&pd_rd_wg=9SOwF&pd_rd_r=060abb0c-bf12-465e-96cc-61052084b856&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Crab-Grab-Shark-Teeth-Traction/dp/B0711TJKBP/ref=sr_1_2?crid=EHF6OPQ9TFX1&keywords=crab+grab+snowboard+stomp+pad&qid=1670287187&sprefix=crabgrab%2Caps%2C231&sr=8-2

20221205_172915[1].jpg

Edited by snowburn
  • Like 2

On 12/4/2022 at 5:49 PM, barryj said:

...photos???

Not really. Instead of sticking the stomp pad right to the board, stick the hook side of velcro to the pad. Then stick the loop side to that, then stick that sandwich on your board. Use a butter knife to split the velcro when you gotta remove the stomp pad. 

Usefull when putting boards in a Sportube or similar. This assumes that you care about the top board's base. 😉

110% credit to whomever suggested that on here! I love this idea so much! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Corey said:

Usefull

Ok, I AM the guy with the brain injury....but I don't get it!

I understand the concept but what tha hell does this velcro sandwich have to do with decreasing snow/ice buildup or better traction?

It's just a transferable stomp pad........right? 

1 hour ago, barryj said:

I understand the concept but what tha hell does this velcro sandwich have to do with decreasing snow/ice buildup or better traction?

Zero. Just that I know you like your plates, and a fixed stomp pad will interfere with most plates. 

The Dakine Spike or similar is good at removing packed snow or ice without even bending over. Stick it however you want! 

2 hours ago, Corey said:

a fixed stomp pad will interfere with most plates. 

Hmm....I guess I could see some benefit in that  if you got a ride that you  us with and without your plate.

I'm going to ride my new little go-kart coming from Bruce without a plate for a while before my minty fresh F Plate gets slapped on, so I might could see this use in this situation...but seems like it's only saving me from buying 2 stomp pads....but you still got the cost for a square of velcro tape and I don't remember that being cheap.  

I used to use silicone spray, which also works for the seals on triple glazed windows, hence I have it anyway. I don't much bother any more... my F2 bindings & Atomic boots don't ice up where I'm riding.

I do carry a standard hotel credit-card entry pass which has one specific snow removal function.

If you sit on your upturned board at lunchtime to eat... it warms the board up. If you then stick that board in a heli basket and fly it to the top of a mountain, it will have snow stuck to the base when you take it out of the basket. Thinking about it, maybe I should take a box of the plastic cards as I could easily sell them at that precise point 😉

• Like 1
  • LOL 1