Note to New Members ×

Fake Groom is Now Everywhere

softbootsurfer

This is a picture of Fake Groom, it is Fake because it is only a little over a 1/2 In. deep, it is more dangerous than the Old Kind with the over 1 1/4 in. Grooves...I saw it first around 12 years ago, was told that it was just my Imagination, nothing was different...I have asked numerous Industry People, for an explanation, no one will supply the reason for the Tiny Grooves, that now cover all ski slopes world wide... this Groom is harder, slicks off twice as fast, especially on areas where people generally stop...personally, I believe it is more Drought resistant in Design as the Idea behind it

Fake Groom 2:7:22.JPG

• Like 2

While I mostly agree, I will give a shout out to the heros of the night at Powder Mountain. They clearly till deep enough to allow cord to last until the afternoon. Some passes can be a bit uneven, but with no snow for a month it's likely unavoidable. 

I had an interesting experience this past weekend. We went to Loveland on Friday 2/4. They had huge swaths of wonderful groom. I really don't know what depth. 

I then went to Vail on Monday and Tuesday 2/7 - 2/8. They had a groom report showing a large percentage of their enormous mountain had been groomed. I looked everywhere both days and couldn't find anything that had been groomed for at least 2 days (maybe more).  

For those not familiar, Loveland is an old, small ski area. Vail is a huge resort. They couldn't be more different.

For whatever reason they don't groom, so be it. But at least don't lie to us and say that it had been groomed. Granted that sometime in history those runs had been groomed. "Groomed" to me means that they had run a groomer down it sometime between when the lifts closed yesterday until when they opened this morning.

Vail used to be known for their wonderful mid-day groom. I recall dropping onto a big, wide blue run right behind 3 groomers side-by-side around lunch time. Now no groom to be found anywhere. Maybe their $200+ walk-up tickets aren't enough to pay for grooming.  

What a lie. Thanks Vail.  

I read this article yesterday.

Sounds like your lack of groom is the new normal in Vail....

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/snow-sports/vail-resorts-record-ski-passes-overcrowding/

1 hour ago, JohnE said:

I had an interesting experience this past weekend. We went to Loveland on Friday 2/4. They had huge swaths of wonderful groom. I really don't know what depth. 

I then went to Vail on Monday and Tuesday 2/7 - 2/8. They had a groom report showing a large percentage of their enormous mountain had been groomed. I looked everywhere both days and couldn't find anything that had been groomed for at least 2 days (maybe more).  

For those not familiar, Loveland is an old, small ski area. Vail is a huge resort. They couldn't be more different.

For whatever reason they don't groom, so be it. But at least don't lie to us and say that it had been groomed. Granted that sometime in history those runs had been groomed. "Groomed" to me means that they had run a groomer down it sometime between when the lifts closed yesterday until when they opened this morning.

Vail used to be known for their wonderful mid-day groom. I recall dropping onto a big, wide blue run right behind 3 groomers side-by-side around lunch time. Now no groom to be found anywhere. Maybe their $200+ walk-up tickets aren't enough to pay for grooming.  

What a lie. Thanks Vail.  

1 hour ago, billyt. said:

Oh you want groomed runs?  That’s extra!  Coming to a resort near you.

Just a low daily fee to access groomed runs. 

Shallow groom is typical here. They don't want to pull up the dirt that's shockingly close! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Corey said:

Shallow groom is typical here. They don't want to pull up the dirt that's shockingly close! 

Amen. I was watching a LAXX grooming video...don't judge me! The head groomer mentioned they don't groom unless they have a meter of snow on the piste. That ****ing hurt my soul. 

I wanna ride LAXX someday. 

Edited by lonbordin
  • Like 1

Thanks for linking that article Frenchy.  What's the incentive for Vail to change, especially when they make $2B a year?  Having experienced first-hand what happens to a local area when the take over, the smoke and mirror show they put on the first season is impressive but it's not sustainable.