Note to New Members ×

Off-season training

daveo

Carving season is winding up soon. Wondering what people do for off-season training? Or perhaps you have something in mind or some sort of physical and/or mental health plan to prepare for next season?

I didn't get a season this year, so thinking of trying to prepare for next season.

Laser sailing, tennis, slalom/LDP skateboard, some ping-pong, hikes with the dogs... And not to forget the ongoing house renos - excellent workout 😆. I might even do a bit of fencing again, if I feel that my arm has fully recovered from a last season's riding accident. 

No gym, weights, running, or any other meaningless structured workout, for me. 

Powerlifting style training for me. Squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press, row, ab wheel rollouts, etc., etc. 

I love the approach these guys take to health and wellness: https://www.barbellmedicine.com/blog/the-beginner-prescription/ (warning: strong weight training bias with a side emphasis on cardio health) 

The most important thing is that you like it and want to do it regularly. If you hate weights and love running, then don't invest (time or money) in weight training as you won't do it. Doing anything once a week or every other week is nearly pointless - consistency brings results. 

Still doing my Burton Stretches -  going on 6 weeks now. I think it's helped my hips and knees... and not just for riding but everyday activities like stairs or hills seem to bee somewhat less uncomfortable.

.otherwise road biking 5 or 6x weekly and weight  training 3x keeps me busy. 

Normally id be snowboarding all year round at the indoor slope but thats been closed nearly for the whole year due to the rona and so have the outdoor resorts. As a result ive pretty much reverted back to mountain biking full time to the extent the devil on my shoulder is trying to convince me into racing again as one last hurrah 😅

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, BlueB said:

Laser sailing, tennis, slalom/LDP skateboard, some ping-pong, hikes with the dogs... And not to forget the ongoing house renos - excellent workout 😆. I might even do a bit of fencing again, if I feel that my arm has fully recovered from a last season's riding accident. 

No gym, weights, running, or any other meaningless structured workout, for me. 

Can you please shed some light on slalom skateboard?

I use a surfskate to ride mellow downhill (1:20) as my summer training. But the speed is just too slow to mimic the feeling of alpine carving.

I don't have any specific plan myself, but interesting to see how everyone has a different approach. Might try to incorporate some of these ideas, which are within my skill level (no longboarding) into this off season.

On 3/24/2021 at 3:48 AM, RotorGoal said:

I have found that ice hockey goaltending does wonders for leg strength/explosiveness and core stability. 

Aside from that, just doing the basic lifts and olympic lifting. (and the occasional run!)

Are olympic lifts from your hockey background? Do you do these specifically for snowboarding? Just curious about olympic lifting in general.

On 3/24/2021 at 3:31 AM, Corey said:

Powerlifting style training for me. Squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press, row, ab wheel rollouts, etc., etc. 

The most important thing is that you like it and want to do it regularly.

Yeah I think this is some real talk. Frequency and consistency are key. Side Q, have you tried olympic lifting?

@daveo I am actually just returning to snowboarding after an eight year hiatus, and am finally getting into hardbooting like I had always wanted to. I do them for ice hockey and general fitness. I mainly stick to deadlifts, squats, snatches and cleans/ jerk because they require your lower body to function in a more explosive fashion than you would with a squat or a deadlift. I feel that a lot of the core stability and explosiveness that is gained from these exercises translates well to snowboarding, as I haven't noticed much lower body fatigue after riding, or trouble supporting myself while locked into a high speed carve.

@RotorGoal nice! yeah that makes a lot of sense. i agree, i can see how a lot of those exercises could translate well into snowboarding. 

recently i dug up a video of olympic gold medallist nevin galmarini doing so many things wrong during some hang cleans and push presses. just makes you (not you, just in general) realise that sometimes even top athletes don't have access to half decent strength training.

Edited by daveo

19 minutes ago, daveo said:

@RotorGoal nice! yeah that makes a lot of sense. i agree, i can see how a lot of those exercises could translate well into snowboarding. 

recently i dug up a video of olympic gold medallist nevin galmarini doing so many things wrong during some hang cleans and push presses. just makes you (not you, just in general) realise that sometimes even top athletes don't have access to half decent strength training.

That is a great observation. I had noticed the same thing back in my high school football days (long snappers ftw!) I would see so many players clean with some form that I would at best describe as concerning. Sure they cleaned 315 lbs, but they would nearly break their wrists in the process. 

I think that many fail to realize that these types of lifts have a lot more to do with technique than one would initially think, and tend to get caught up with the numbers, not the process.

@RotorGoalyeah for sure, totally agree, that's also why i dislike the crossfit mentality here in general, where pushing heavier weights strangely takes precedence over technique.

i was a track sprinter but was never particularly strong - never power cleaned over 120kg. but there were high school kids (right proper weightlifters) at the weightlifting club where i did my strength training, who would c&j over 150kg while weighing under 70kg. and then you'd have some guys weighing 100kg who you'd feel should have a mandatory ambulance waiting outside for them cleaning under bodyweight just because their technique was so poor.

i was never in their league, but i was lucky enough to have the blessing to train alongside a few olympians on a daily basis and even got to train with dmitry klokov once (ok he actually used my bar in between my main sets as a warm up ha :biggthump). at a minimum, it was a good opportunity to observe good vs bad form. those days are long gone, now.

Edited by daveo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, daveo said:

Side Q, have you tried olympic lifting?

Tried? Yes. I suck at it. Either I don't have the wrist flexibility or I have long forearms, but I can't get in a proper front rack position. 

Both Olympic lifts look neat, but I have zero interest in becoming proficient in them. 

3 minutes ago, daveo said:

mmm sounds like shoulder mobility hindrance, actually. it's pretty normal.

I don't get how shoulders factor in. I can front squat with the zombie style or arms crossed in front, but not classic front rack. 

Meh, it's not something I intend to pursue as I can still front squat well over body weight for reps. 

Probably connected: I also can't low-bar squat. Can't get the bar low enough for back muscles to carry the weight. Tried for 6+ months, went to high-bar and watched my squat climb after my elbows and wrists dissipated their stress. 

• Like 1