Note to New Members ×

Off-season training

daveo

1 hour ago, Corey said:

I don't get how shoulders factor in. I can front squat with the zombie style or arms crossed in front, but not classic front rack. 

that actually definitely sounds like shoulder mobility! pretty much every olympic lifter starts like that from what i've seen. i guess i could make a video on how my coach used to fix it, if you're interested *shrug*. it's quite an uncomfortable adjustment. kind of the same feeling when you first do behind the neck barbell shoulder press.

it usually is considerably more time consuming to adjust for someone who already has muscle built in the shoulders, traps, lats, rotator cuff, due to the tightness/lack of mobility they inherently have relative to a weightlifter due to their strength training. not a bad thing, though, just a thing.

but meh doesn't seem like it matters, anyway eh! if you can do other variations of fsq for reps at > bw, then who cares i say!

Edited by daveo

45 minutes ago, Corey said:

I don't get how shoulders factor in.

i forgot to say ...... it is because this particular position is only ever needed to be done while front squatting. in basically your whole life haha. so not many people naturally have the shoulder mobility to get into that position without some .. er .. help.

I stick with the sideways stance, just change boards and surfaces.

Wing foiling and kite foiling keep the soft water stoke and the flow...

Early morning transition sessions at a few local skateparks keeps my balance and flexibiiity where it needs to be.

Chasing my son and his buddies through the local mtn bike trails keeps the cardio at a reasonable level.

Like alpine carving all these sports require focus and concentration.  You just can't be thinking about anything else when linking wind-swells, riding a concrete wall or threading single track... 

We're all still 17 between the ears.  It's the 50+ year old body that's the issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rusty Edges said:

Like alpine carving all these sports require focus and concentration.  You just can't be thinking about anything else when linking wind-swells, riding a concrete wall or threading single track... 

Its funny how people deal with things differently i am to actually trying to not think about what im doing and just carve/ride on instinct. I found that if i thought about what i was doing id get scared and inevitably make mistakes leading to a crash/slide out

• Like 1

7 hours ago, daveo said:

i forgot to say ...... it is because this particular position is only ever needed to be done while front squatting. in basically your whole life haha. so not many people naturally have the shoulder mobility to get into that position without some .. er .. help.

Interesting...  If I ever get the desire, I'll reach out to you! 

4 hours ago, Rusty Edges said:

We're all still 17 between the ears.  It's the 50+ year old body that's the issue.

Haha, so true! It's that disconnect that keeps getting us in trouble. 😉

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2021 at 5:56 PM, Corey said:

Either I don't have the wrist flexibility or I have long forearms, but I can't get in a proper front rack position. 

Both Olympic lifts look neat, but I have zero interest in becoming proficient in them. 

+1

A lift I like that's much easier than the snatch or clean and jerk is the muscle snatch. I guess it's used as warm-up for snatches. (I've seen people do essentially this with kettlebells but I never found out what they called it.) Here 130 kg is made to look easy:

You're moving weight fast over a long range. As one who doesn't do Olympic lifts, I find it a nice complement to (and warm-up for) deadlifts and a good overall addition to powerlifting -style training. (My goal being health more than PRs on the Big Three).