Note to New Members ×

Plate vs no plate?

Plate vs no plate?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer to ride with a plate system or without?

• Always ride with a plate
    • Sometimes ride with a plate
    • Never ride with a plate

No plate for me.

With a well engineered board, I do not believe you need a plate. Especially when you are a recreational carver living in the Western US/CAD.  

I tried some of the first generation plates many years ago, and found them not to be hugely beneficial for my style of riding nor the conditions I typically ride in.  We rarely have to sharpen our edges in Montana.  

I could see if I was racing or riding a lot of man-made snow / icy condition they could be very benificial.  

The latest generation of boards from the US / CAD board makers are some of the easiest riding, quietest, great handling on icy condition boards ever for recreational carvers.  

Recreational carvers in the US are very interested in a step-in MS boot however.  

• Like 2

Here on the ice coast of NH a plate is a Great option!  I usually ride one of my sans plate boards for the morning...Swoard, Moss, Thirst, Coiler and by mid day when it's chopped up scraped off man made crud I switch to my K168  with BP V2 4mm and I can continue for the rest of the day as it really takes alot of impact off  my knees!

• Like 2

Always with a plate unless it's early (rocks) or late (slush) in the season.  I may be plateless if there's some good fluff over the groom.

Lots of man made snow @ my local hill.  So when the morning groom is gone, lots of ice remains. Diamond filing every outing (200/400/800)

1 hour ago, dredman said:

Recreational carvers in the US are very interested in a step-in MS boot however.  

+1

• Like 1

I haven’t tried an allflex, but my brief experience with plates is that I can’t stand them. They do smooth things over a bit, but to me, that is not worth the tradeoff of the extra stack height, and reduced snow feel (which I realize is part of the point). What I really dislike about them for recreational riding is how they make the board less manageable at slow speeds on cat-tracks and such. I can see why racers like them but I don’t think the tradeoffs work for recreational carving.

• Like 1

I'm not certain if Apex Geckos qualify as a "plate" but I ride with them 100% of the time. 

I have to agree with some of the previous posters that this largely depends on where you ride.  If I lived near a snowy high elevation resort in the west I wouldn't ride a plate. Why even deal with the extra weight and complexity?!

If you ride a lower elevation resort with a strong relationship to the freeze thaw cycle, like I do, I don't take them off.  I have owned and ridden the majority of plate systems available today.

Good luck.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

A plate is a tool. If conditions are less than ideal a plate is of great benefit if you want to ride all day . I realize that many lucky people have only ideal conditions where they ride and I resent them enormously      (🤣) Again I would emphasize it is a tool.  You should never suggest that using the right tool for the right conditions is not advisable. 

• Like 1

I very much prefer the sensation of riding without a plate on fresh groomed snow or fresh powder. But then, who doesn't?

Depends on the typical conditions where one rides. I only need to use them occasionally when conditions bother my knees and I just have to ride. I prefer a minimal plate experience like Geckos or a Donek F-plate which is similar to the Vist or the old K-plate.

Plates are a nice tool if you must ride rough conditions and they're a real knee saver for old or damaged knees.

• 11 months later...
On 1/21/2021 at 5:31 PM, dredman said:

No plate for me.

With a well engineered board, I do not believe you need a plate. Especially when you are a recreational carver living in the Western US/CAD.  

I tried some of the first generation plates many years ago, and found them not to be hugely beneficial for my style of riding nor the conditions I typically ride in.  We rarely have to sharpen our edges in Montana.  

I could see if I was racing or riding a lot of man-made snow / icy condition they could be very benificial.  

The latest generation of boards from the US / CAD board makers are some of the easiest riding, quietest, great handling on icy condition boards ever for recreational carvers.  

East(ice) coast carver and entry racer here.

We have 95% man made snow, mixed  with icy, slushy, hardpacked, and sticky snow in uneven slopes. My isolation plate(apex v2) is doing great job. Not just for the edge grip but it is the best medical device for my knees.

• 5 weeks later...