Note to New Members ×

On 1/19/2021 at 11:04 AM, BlueB said:

Yes, it's in this thread, first page. 

How you've been? Didn't see you on the slopes for ages... 

With the pandemic this year, we elected to defer our passes to the 2021/22 season - so no Cypress for me this year.

We still have our edge cards at whistler (didn't want to forfeit $$ to Vail). 

So I'm still around 🙂

It was amazing today! Packed pow! Almost impossible to blow the edge on groomers. I was overpowering the 3800 and switched to the stiffer Vertigo. 

Had 3hrs private with a new softboot carver. Guy is good already, but wants to improve further. Very capable learner! We were ripping g the groomers, but also ventured in smaller bumps on JJA and Cascade. It was an instructors Nirvana 🧘

Sunny day, lots of people... completely frozen corduroy in the am! Luckily, I have fixed the  tail on Kessler BXn and sharpened the edges. It got a bit better, later, softened in the sun. Actually on Sky Chair, which stayed above freezing levels all the time, was packed pow! 

I took Žira for a bit of tourism, to the very peak. 

Cypress20210205.jpg

^ Like father, like son... 

Edited by BlueB
  • Like 1

Cold, light snow, very few people. Accumulation was thin, ice still showing on the steeps. 

Solid session with L4 aspiring instructors. 

Another group was on their L3 exam. There was a young guy from Seymore, doing his exam on hard boots (AT, duck stance on freeride board). 

My buddy, Sam, brought me some Burton branded masks. Very nice fit, way better than Cypress ones. 

Edited by BlueB

Pretty good hard pack! 

I skied the Virus Raptors in the am. I had to wear the Dalbellos to ski, much stiffer then my noodly, girly Heads. Then I switched to the board, in the pm. Wowza! I forgot about the tip-and-rip goodness of stiff boots! Love it. 

Pow over hard pack makes for that funky feeling where you don't quite know how to ride/ski... Power the edge in or surf? 

Tools: Tanker and Atomic Metrons 

I realized that I have skied the Metrons way forward of the design position. They are easy to reposition, binding is on a rail, so I fiddled a bit. Made them a lot better, in variable snow. All the skitishness has gone. I'll probably have to work a bit more for my carves, on smooth snow, though. 

Great conditions today! Not much new snow besides yesterdays, cold night, good grooming everywhere. Light snow through the day, becoming heavy now. 

Run of the day? Freaking everywhere! 

Toys: Patrick - MK, B - Kessler BXn 

Skis didn't make it out of the car - too sweet of the snowboarding conditions. I went crazy with EC, in despite the sore shoulder and ribs. For the first time ever, I've been favoring my heelside EC - nothing hurts on my right flank... 

Absolutely amazing! Sun and the packed powder that hasn't started to turn into hard pack yet, but solid enough that runs don't get destroyed in 1 hour. 

We were supposed to have freestyle instructor session, but it turned into a carving session, right away. The leader was showing how to get low in the turns, until I've demonstrated the heel side EC (how's that as low?), with 3800 and close to duck stance. Then it turned into a "learn the heel EC" session. For the next hour, I had a good laugh watching everyone crashing and spinning out on heels 🤣 

Snowy wonderland, this evening... but huge crowd! My usual retreat, Midway, was on stand by, until 7pm. I had to cruze the Easy rider and park for a while.... 

Toy: A new to me, old Donek Incline 180x23. The thing is an absolute tank, both in weight and stiffness. But, it carves well, once brought up to speed. It was ok for jumps, too. 

Edited by BlueB

13 hours ago, BlueB said:

Snowy wonderland, this evening... but huge crowd! My usual retreat, Midway, was on stand by, until 7pm. I had to cruze the Easy rider and park for a while.... 

Toy: A new to me, old Donek Axxess 180x23. The thing is an absolute tank, both in weight and stiffness. But, it carves well, once brought up to speed. It was ok for jumps, too. 

The blue Incline? The legendary "Delrossi"? It was an "absolute tank"er for me at 185lbs. My favorite soft snow carver.

5 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

The blue Incline? The legendary "Delrossi"? It was an "absolute tank"er for me at 185lbs. My favorite soft snow carver.

Yeah, that one 🙂 I didn't ride it until yesterday... Different to the Tanker, but very mighty. Might give it another go tomorrow. 

I guessed right on the hero conditions and brought the Easy Jungle Skwal, for the morning. Lots of funny comments were had 🙂 I even had it in the park, for few straight jumps and a failed rotation.

I had the bindings all wrong, the first run, and the board wouldn't run straight on the flats, or initiate toe side turn without speed... Had it 90% dialed-in, within few runs, then I wouldn't waste more time with screwdriver. Fun, never the less. 

In the pm, I brought out the Kessler BXn, which also had some bindings issues at first (one of those days?), but that I sorted out quickly. Going through the park late in the day, two little kids asked: "Hey, were you not on that yellow ski-thing, earlier on?" Then after a 180: "Impressive!" Thank you, little fellas... 

Last, but not least, we finished off the day, with marinated ribs and baked potato wedges - the daily special. Yum! 

Edited by BlueB
  • Like 1

Huge evening crowd, again... These lazy buggers opened the Midway only at 7pm. The other chairs were unbreakable. Otherwise, the snow was interesting - semi-moguled compacted wet stuff from the last night.... Tanker ate it all up for dinner 🙂

We had unbelievable snow on JJA, this morning. Hardest cord without any frozen patches. Perfect grooming. 1/2" edge set, can't blow a carve. EC top to bottom. 

In the early pm, I had a crazy collision. On empty Midway, I went switch, over a roller and BAM! Someone was sitting there, in the middle of the run. My tail hit hers and sent me flying down the slopes, head first. I've readjusted every single vertebra in my neck. Luckily, no one injured, nor gear damaged... 

Toy: Kessler BXn 

Yesterday's awesome snow is today's hardpack with some 5cm of unforecasted chowder from last night. The light rain and the crowds packed it down into some dense grippy stuff so it's actually pretty good carving snow. I had some good runs down Jasey and Rainbow then finished the day off running laps on Midway.

Nothing to write home about, today. Relatively poor snow and very little grooming. I could swear that even Collins wasn't groomed 🤪 Huge and hardish moguls on Ripcord... 

Tools: Coiler AMT 169/24 and 3800 163. Like a true freak, I did the park session on the Coiler, then later, was teaching the instructors to EC on the 3800 🤯 

Low vis and heavy fresh snow made us reschedule Patrick's lesson. Too bad conditions for advanced carving... That didn't stop me from banging myself stupidly, at few occasions... 

Toys: P - K168, B - OES SL and AM 

We observed an interesting phenomenon, during the last run of the day: On harder carves, an entire slab of softening snow would break away under the edge and slide over harder layer under. Just like a mini avalanche. Of course, it causes an immediate spill out of the carve.