Note to New Members ×

Nice sunny morning, firm, fast snow. The clouds started to roll in a bit later and it felt colder... 

Jumpy session with instructors... 3800... 

I got to ride a chair with one of the grooming supervisors. I politely asked him how often they do double passes. He looked at me slightly surprised and said only if a place is very bad... 

PM update: 

Mogul bashing at Coyote - the snow softened up enough to make it quite pleasant. At about 2pm it started snowing some mini snowballs, almost like polystyrene... 3cm in 20 min! 

Edited by BlueB

Evening ride, crappy snow, softened during the day, then starting to freeze... 

I've spent all evening on Midway, going through the parks. Got onto the rails, first time this year... I'm still in one pice and so is the 3800... 

Good snow in the am, turned into real spring slush later... 

I brought the Maverick with plate, set with both alpine and monoski bindings. Variety is a spice of life 😉 It's been long time since I rode a monoski, my muscle memory was playing tricks on me. I constantly wanted to place my left foot behind my right, in the right turns, what would be my heel side, causing horrible back seat. Left turn was just fine. 

In the pm, I switched to 3800 for moguls and park ride. 

• Like 1

Lots of chowder came down over night. Lower elevations were probably getting rain until late hours of the night, as the conditions hugely differed top to bottom. Later, with getting skied out, it equalized a bit. 

I had first tracks over JJA into Cascade and on Coyote. First Sun was pretty sweet, Black on Black and Meteor nasty... 

Sky opened very late and Ripcord was great. Glades runs not so much - bulldozed too quickly. Top Gun very heavy. 

Colins Park totally chewed up. 

Toy: 3800 

Crew: B, Tony, Alton, Nikita, and Patrick on his own somwhere on the other side of the mountain... 

Edited by BlueB

First tracks down easy rider. We had some pretty good quality snow today, kind of made me wish I was on a board. I don't last long on skis so I was out of there by noon. The car was under some 7 cm and now the Cypress snow stake is approaching 25 cm. It was snowing well past the look out. Not bad for March. It should be very good tomorrow.

Yesterday's pow was a bit less than expected. However, all of Vancouver expected it and was there! The crowd was crazy, worst than on the weekend. Even the Raven chair had crazy lineup, stretching all the way to the Coyote run out. Runs got chopped up quickly. I had fun in the bumps, never the less! 

I brought the 4807 178, expecting a real deep day. The thing rode the bumps beyond expectations! And boy, it can carve well... I forgot how well! 

15cm of quite heavy snow over yeaterdays crap, made for very demanding conditions. I had first tracks right under the Lions chair and on of the first down Slash. Sky Chair had nicer lighter snow. Top Gun ok and then into crappy stuff lower. 

3800... Tanker would have been better... 

Starting to rain a bit now, at the lodge level.

More riding after lunch... 

Checking in from Sun Peaks! 

We made it here really fast, some snow on Coquihala, but not too much traffic. 

It was kind of warm, but very windy, with high overcast. Then it cooled down and started snowing a lot. 

Lower mountain conditions suck, but really nice mid-mountain and at high alpine. Run of the day: double diamond mogul run, high up, called the Chute. 

Toy: 3800. It will be my exam board. Elan Vertigo is on stand by, as a spare. 

Edited by BlueB
  • Like 1

Sun Peaks, exam day 1 

Bluebird, but last night's pow nowhere to be found... Alpine was closed and blasting the avalanche hazards, lower mountain mostly hard pack groomed, with some wind blown and crunched up patches... windy too. 

We did intermediate sliding turns on a black run (!?), forward and switch; short radius turns on a steep black (think steepest part of the Rainbow); park; carving on a steep and rolling blue. 

I did 2nd short radius turn run at some crazy speed, I wonder if it was too much? Park I did horribly, as usual. I had a spill out on a roller, during my first carving run. The 2nd I did like a devil on steroids, including a jump into the new edge, over that same damn roller... Over all, not happy... 

Sun Peaks, day 2 

The corridor task was on a steep pitch, with a roller in the first 1/4. One relatively poor run, other fast and good. 

Moguls, on a narrow run, under a chair, pretty hard, with snow lacking at some patches and branches and debris fallen from the trees... Very long too... Both runs below my standard. 

For my teaching task I chose the heel side EC and had a good lough... Lesson went pretty much as planned, except that I ran out of time to do the conclusion 😠 

Sun Peaks, day 3 

Sunny and warm.

Pedagogy test (instructor training), was ok, but evaluators still not impressed... 

Smooth drive home, no problems on Coquihala. 

I'll probably ride on Saturday at Cypress, then off to Lake Louise. If still open, though 🤪

We arrived at Lake Louise just after 2pm - enough time for few quick laps. Sunny and warm. Great snow on top, slush closer to the base. On our way to Banff, now... 

Lake Louise Inn hotel closed today due to wuwu. 

Lake Louise, exam day 1 

Super sunny, cold in the morning, hot in the pm. About 15C difference! Still good snow in the upper. 

We rode 5 tasks, instead of usual 4 on the first day. Surprisingly, I did park really well. Mogul run was less deadly than 2 years ago. I'm very tired now... 

Thanks Patrick! 

Lake, day 2 

Overcast, some snow in the pm. We had very crappy snow (frozen) in the front side of the mountain, decent at the back... 

Last riding task was the infamous corridor, on a mild black run and very hard snow. I did ok, according to my buddy... 

I did my teach first, on the frozen side of the mountain (they tell us where to go). Went very well. I have to wait until Friday, to find out how really well. 

Lake, day 4 

Sunny morning, great groomers and moguls in upper mountain. 

Results are in. I did shitty, even the teaching part that I thought it's more than 50% odds to pass. My buddy Sam passed his riding. 

We are driving back home, now. Went through a big snowfall at Revelstoke. Sunny around Shushwap. Apparently another snow system awaits us at Coquihala. 

Back to Cypress, the last day for Luka and me... Lots of snow came down over the last 2 days and sun this morning brought out thousands of people! I have never seen lineups like this, ever! 

Well, that's it. Thanks everyone for a good season, and have a good summer! See you all in November!