Note to New Members ×

Anybody Committed to a 20/21 Season Pass?

barryj

8 minutes ago, JohnE said:
20 minutes ago, Shred Gruumer said:

Like the 220,000 dead Americans are part of the hoax?

Like my neighbor  guy down the street that died in an automobile accident last month , they listed it as covid related. ,  TRUE! he lived 4 house down.  

Or when they find a beer bottle near an accident and its alcohol related.

Its a bad post... ditch it..

1 hour ago, Shred Gruumer said:

Covid... Just get over it!

I never seen so much fear mongering...  

Delete this stupid political post....  I swear people act like this is some zombie plague ..

It's not political for me. I had a good friend die early on. No underlying conditions. Another friend had cancer come back hard two months after 'getting over' two months of Covid 'recovery'. There were few treatment options available because her lungs were covered with a thick mucus. She had one third of her lung removed and is now on oxygen almost full time. Not fear mongering, just what has happened. I don't feel particularly afraid of it at this point and not being political, it is just a reality of this time for us. We got hit hard early and even though death rates are down, infection rates are way up lately. The local hospital is running out of room due to covid admissions. 

I don't share public spaces with people much at all even before this, but I have always been a little anti-social anyway.

You can ignore it if you want and we can still be friends. I still hope to make a WTF one of these years. 

2 hours ago, Shred Gruumer said:

Covid... Just get over it!

I never seen so much fear mongering...  

Delete this stupid political post....  I swear people act like this is some zombie plague ..

Covid doesn't make me afraid for my health' It makes me afraid for what it exposes about sociey.

Well, I just received my Splitboard gear...the senior pass is up to around 600 if bought before nov.8th so yea, I am ready...Snow is required however, and it has only rained here 4 times since mid march, the driest I have seen it in over 52 seasons...if the Covid screws up the mountains, the split will help me split from that...thinking for now, the holidays and the weekends will be a time to split for sure as well...Wearing a mask, standing in a lift line 6 ft. from anyone, shunning the Gondolas and only singles on quads chair rides could be a detriment to the type of seasons I have had for the last 50 years...

• Like 1

I thought only the Epic pass required reservations... At least at the mountians I go to Ikon doesn't seem to require reservations.

2 hours ago, softbootsurfer said:

Well, I just received my Splitboard gear...the senior pass is up to around 600 if bought before nov.8th so yea, I am ready...Snow is required however, and it has only rained here 4 times since mid march, the driest I have seen it in over 52 seasons...if the Covid screws up the mountains, the split will help me split from that...thinking for now, the holidays and the weekends will be a time to split for sure as well...Wearing a mask, standing in a lift line 6 ft. from anyone, shunning the Gondolas and only singles on quads chair rides could be a detriment to the type of seasons I have had for the last 50 years...

Here in CO with all the wildfires going on the backcountry is going to be a complete $tshow this winter. The forests are really dangerous with falling trees and most parking lots are going to be closed for mitigations. Plus everyone thinks they're going to go backcountry riding. Absolute $tshow! 

Did I say BC?  👀 no I didn't... that would be late Spring or perhaps a few early ones in Places where there is nobody else...with 50 years of knowledge of 4 ski areas here, I don't need a lot to make it happen, nor hang out with large uphill crowds, especially since they mostly hang out in the same areas to wave at each other... 😀

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, softbootsurfer said:

they mostly hang out in the same areas to wave at each other... 😀

Usually in the middle of the pitch on the hidden backside of a roller.

My guess is the crowds will be smaller this season for a number of reasons. 

I can only hope that the US/CAD border opens so I can use my multi-pass at Searchmont in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Chouinard said:

My guess is the crowds will be smaller this season for a number of reasons. 

I sincerely hope that you are right.  What I've been hearing is just the opposite up here.

I'm still in Big Sky.  Today I happened to speak with a person who is cleaning for VRBO and AIRBNB.   He said he was slammed for the upcoming season and was raising his rates 10% this coming week.  I've spoken with several others that do VRBO and AIRBNB and the story was the same, they're busy.  I had the earliest inquiries for the upcoming season, and turned them down due to Covid.   Decided to wait to see what happens with the protocols at the resort.

Safety first.  I'd hate to have anyone that rented my property succumb to Covid or anything else.

Not looking good for "not busy" here either. COP is the local bump, 300 ft vertical, but it "is" right in town. Usually the place has more skate skiers on the lighted loop than it does people on the lifts, but apparently not this year.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/winsport-covid-19-dale-oviatt-canada-olympic-park-1.5771823?fbclid=IwAR2KGF-td1TyI7NoCRoHvJWh5C1CPUraTS0SY8dW8l7Q7Z_f9uiXkJmG4zE

I have a bad feeling about this season. People who can't fly to sun destinations for vacations or head to the US to ski, are all going to be looking for something to do, just like they were in the summer - and summer around here was a s**t show. Most of the resorts are moving to an online ticket sales model, with no tickets for sale on the hill, and only a limited number available per day - but season pass holders are exempt. I suspect that's going to drive a lot of season pass sales, but I' can't say I'd risk that much money on a hill that could literally be shut down again at any time.

I think there's going to be a lot of snowshoeing this winter.

• 1 month later...

Went to Wachusett today (Sunday) for the first time this season.  Admittedly we received a good amount of snow yesterday so I suppose I should not have been surprised, but I was really disappointed and disillusioned.

There was a crowd, lots of youngsters not wearing masks in lines, line compressed not spaced, singles line permitted, almost no visible attempt to manage the risk of being in the mountain.  It felt like there was no crisis at all.  Earlier I had heard of the mountain’s approach to making being there safe but I saw little of that in reality.
I am not sure that I want to repeat that and am going to have to assess when the mountain feels like it is safe to be on it.  Hoping that my season’s expectations are not going to be for nought!

Wondering if this is something mountain management can actually control or if this laissez faire attitude ultimately results in the mountain having to close doors to protect customers.

I have a Crystal Mt season pass and a parking pass for A-lot. Both have made my last five days there sweeeet!  Mid-week there is at least twice as crowded as last season and I really have to pay attention to keep from getting hit by some dufis straight lining it at Mach 5!

Altera (Ikon Pass) does not care about Covid and crowds. They use reservations to limit attendance of pass holders to sell more day tickets. Crowds at the Crystal for example are much bigger than at any previous season. All parking lots (including additional new parking lot) are full at weekends and almost full during meed week. This season they park cars much closer than ever before.
Altera does not care abut safety of the people. They are simply too greedy and use Covid just to make more money.
To be frank officials must close this resort right away, if they care about people safety (even thought I do not want that☹️).

The only good thing about having such non restricted crowds is that my "avoidance" skills on my SL board are improving very fast 😂.

Edited by dgCarve