Note to New Members ×

Anybody Committed to a 20/21 Season Pass?

barryj

TVR Good for you ! You have committed to your plan . At this point i can't be as confident that any decision i make at this time given current circumstances would be safe given my age and the level of risk vs fun. The money back idea is the least one would expect given how serious the pandemic is. The opening of the  Canada US border at the end of August is the next action that awaits a reaction before the process of evaluating the next level of risk. Don't think it's going to be fully open but will have to wait and see. I would imagine the snow shows that usually tour the country will not happen this year . I always look forward to talking shop with the great people that staff the booths and quiz them on their knowledge or lack of pertaining to alpine boarding. It's the best preseason stoke i have found to date.      Hope you and your kids have a great season .

I'm staying with Epic, and sent in a deposit back in the before-times. Seems like a great value, and forces me to get out to justify the expense. Also like the military discount. Only bummer is Sun Valley and Snow Basin don't honor military Epic passes. Love those mountains, but plenty of others to ride. 

On 8/2/2020 at 10:27 AM, lowrider said:

Is it the 5 br for 2.9 m or the 6 br for 3.7m ?

It's the 125 Bedroom for $21,900,000.  There is one of these on the way up to Big Sky, maybe not 125 Bedrooms though.

Actually it's a 2 Bedroom Ski-in for $485K. 

I thought things were bad when the cheapest thing that was being built was a 3 Bedroom Condo for $695 in the Meadow 6 miles away.  Now the poor man's lots are $987,000 on the hill.  It's NUTS.  I don't see anything being built for less than $2.5 Million+.  The old Powder Ridge Log Homes are starting at $1,467,000.

Actually Siberia is starting to sound pretty good, except it's burning in the summer.  

Even Hokkaido is in trouble.

I'd like to join Redman.  We'll see how that goes.

• Like 1

Chances are slim that we could get into New Zealand.  Slim is too optimistic, no chance in Hell is more like it.  They're not even letting Aussies in.  Great Boarding down there.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/03/they-didnt-close-the-deal-new-zealand-looks-on-in-horror-at-melbourne-covid-19-crisis

Edited by bumpyride
additions

Is anyone aware of a plan by any ski area (anywhere in the world) where they have come up with a workable plan to open up, operate and abide by social distancing requirements?

I'm trying to imagine how this might work. It seems like it won't be completely safe but maybe safe enough. 

Depends on your definition of workable. Are they going to open up? Most definitely. Mount Hood and others have shown that by limiting number of people (reservations, limit of tickets, etc), closing the lodges and requiring masks they can get permissions to start up. Trestle bike park is up and running in the same vain. 

Whether this is safe or not is anybody's guess but capitalism must win out.

Don't forget that Europe and Canada are doing much better in terms of controlling the pandemic than the US. 

• Like 1

I like to say that the 2 most dangerous words in the English language are "I THINK".  I only use facts that I know, or something like "BEST GUESS", or "I DON'T KNOW".  When someone says "I DON'T KNOW', I thank them and say that's the 2nd Best Answer.

When there is a modifier used with "SAFE", it does not mean Safe, it almost always means less than Safe, so when we all make decisions about Boarding when we can't control all the conditions, we will not be Safe, and consequently none of our Friends and Family will be Safe. 

About the only Boarding I may do this year is Earning my Turns.

Sorry if this is a bit of a downer, but I would like this community to remain in tact, and continuing without losing anyone.

• Like 1

I think we all take calculated risks. We wouldn't be boarders if we didn't. Most people wouldn't even consider sliding down a slippery slope at high speed on a plank. We do and we believe it is worth the risk. 

If we wait until we truly know everything about this virus before we venture out, we'll die of old age. I am still trying to live my life and listen to the advice of the experts. I make every effort to social distance and wear a mask when I cannot. I avoid crowds as much as possible. However, I still get out and ride my bike and try to stay at least 6 feet away from others as much as possible. 

If we only consider the US: do ski areas have plans on how to operate at any level assuming the virus is at current levels when the season begins? What will be the protocols? I'm willing to follow the rules if I can get a few turns in this season. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JRAZZ said:

Don't forget that Europe and Canada are doing much better in terms of controlling the pandemic than the US. 

It looks like Canada is doing better because we accepted advice early on but as time goes on people are getting antsy. Restaurants and bars have limits on numbers and must distance. We have had outbreaks where younger people have partied in large groups so it's safe to say stupid lives in every country. Masks are required in public buildings and on public transit , most comply but still some resist because they  are smarter???? The reality is the virus is around and all it takes is to think you can outsmart it and it comes back to bite !    I know how to make a sandwich so i have the food thing covered but if i eat it i may need to use the loo. To my way of thinking that's the common  issue all resorts will need to address. Perhaps some of those fancy self cleaning toilets  in use in Europe will be the thing that make opening safer than the present set up'. I know of one British Columbia resort that had to close it's parking lot after Covid hit because people were tail gating and gathering in unsafe numbers   Back country access that should have been a safe activity was no longer allowed because of a few who couldn't follow simple rules It's not going to take a large group of people to screw it up big time for the rest of us!!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just got the reminder emails about early season passes for RCR. I'm really not sure what to think. Our local hill is a zoo most weekends and if they think anyone's going to be social distancing there, they're dreaming.

I just can't see how anything is going to change from where it is now for at least the next six months, and if that's the case how are they going to handle lodges and lift lines? The same way they're handling the schools, I guess ... yikes.

I'd like to buy a season pass because I think it's unlikely that I'll be travelling much, if at all, this winter, but I think I might take my chances with the discount card instead, and make a call in December.

17 hours ago, lowrider said:

Mix in some other leaves and your skills may improve.

LOL... As Michigan Mike would say "Pocket Plate" Trade Mark.
something something "my body is a temple"; gotta burn sage or something herbaceous.
I envy those relax/loose rider; personal choice:  I preferred clarity over purple haze.

Grew up with the "say no to drugs" thing now that it's "legal" all the old  dealers and pot heads are now the ones with apparent cash to burn and opening new businesses to cater to their old buddies. Clarity is certainly the preferred state you never know when you might need to react to a real life situation.

• 4 weeks later...

Season passes finally went back on sale here at Loon Mtn....but only selling  M-F passes (with blackout dates)!  I guess that's their way of social distancing!  They say they are only selling a Limited number of these M-F passes and they are Not going to use a reservation system and the mountain will be wide open to any and all pass holders as no day tickets will be sold this season.

I plopped down the $589 for a M-F pass......and hope I get to use it! :lurk:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RCR posted guidelines this morning.

https://skircr.com/blog/we-look-forward-to-looking-forward/?fbclid=IwAR32YNwVC69dm17gL3znM06hPzh9tn3P1Pc5NbivTt8DaYmZFgxXB5ECpas

Face coverings in the lift line? Guess I'll be buying a bandana this year, because getting a mask on and off with a helmet is impossible. And social distancing on the lodge at Nakiska on a busy weekend just ain't gonna happen, because it's packed to the rafters at the best of times. Thank Dog the carpark's only a short walk away, because I think tailgating will be a thing this season.

I think I might be doing more snowshoeing this winter.