Note to New Members ×

Anybody Committed to a 20/21 Season Pass?

barryj

No bags inside, suit up in your car, Am questioning,  What do you do IF you go inside,  with the  small amount of items you do need to remove? Example,  helmet, goggles gloves, coat?

One possible answer,  do not go inside,  main base is your vehicle. And use the chair only. Used to do this a long time ago.  

How about full face helmets and face masks? OK , helmet off with mask on while on  chairlift,  usually take helmet off any way to cool off. 

Edited by RobertAlexander

Well, we bought passes.  Against my better judgement, but we're on the hill. 

1. We will pee in the trees. 

2. We'll eat in the Condo. 

3. We'll ski till we get cold and go home, no warming in any Building. 

4. We won't be getting first tracks because of lines. 

5. We will be requesting our own chair.

6. We will not ride the Gondola nor a Bubble Chair with the Bubble Down unless we're sole occupants.

7. We will carry water and food.

8. We will walk to the lift and ski home.  No people mover.

9. We will definitely mask up.

10. Will be buying boxes of Hand Warmers.

11. We will have to see how the first couple of days go before we take those initial days, and see whether or not we'll delay the pass till 21/22.

That's about all we can do.  First and foremost is to remain safe.

I figure I've got 10 years of hard charging left, and if it doesn't look right, it's just $800 wasted over 2 years

REMEMBER, the Covid started out with 1 (let me repeat that ONE) case.  It's still here and it's going to get worse, so be safe.

Anecdotal information (not a study) coming out of either Japan or China, can't remember which, but only 6% of Covid cases were eyeglass wearers.  If it was Japan, around 36% of the populous wears glasses, and I would imagine that percentage goes up with age.  So there seems to be a reverse ratio of Covid cases to eyeglass wearers.  That bodes well for goggles.

Perhaps we should start Boarding with 10' long ski poles to make sure people keep their distance in line.

Anyone have info on full face shields and whether or not they fog up?  Darth Vader will be alive and well on the slopes.

Ikon and Loveland pass finally purchased. I mean I have 2 new Coilers that I NEED to ride. It's a public service!

I figure snowboarding is important enough. I can wear my mask (which I do anyway) and stay away from people (which I do anyway). The LCI people are too fast for me so no problem there.

OTOH I did get infected by whatever they got so no safety in this case...

• Like 2

Just spoke with a very good friend that worked at the High End Restaurant at Big Sky.  She said it was the busiest season they ever had, and they stayed open 2 weeks longer than usual because of people still around.  

Doesn't bode well for the Ski Season, with Big Sky not limiting Skiers on the hill, but Ikon and Mountain Pass Collective will have to make reservations, and subject to limits.

Additionally this doesn't help with the Ramcharger lift and notice the codicil "Operationally Feasible":  We will not be enforcing maximum capacity on chairlifts and will allow groups traveling together to ride on their own chair when operationally feasible. Some exceptions may be made for higher-capacity lifts such as Ramcharger 8

Back for the first time in a while

Bought tickets today, will insist that everyone else on the mountain be socially distant and leave when I get there so I can’t possibly be close to anyone 🙂

20 minutes from home, making assumptions that short trips at the right time are manageable and relatively low risk.

I renewed my employment offer with Sun Valley and will be teaching again this winter. We led the nation for two weeks in April in per capita infections. A good friend was one of the first to succumb to Covid in this area. His nephew worked for me for a couple of years. RIP Bob. So it's not like we aren't taking it seriously. There are still pockets of adamant mask rejection in the valley. I don't get it. I have still not gone out to a restaurant for a sit down indoor meal of any kind. One meal outside on the deck and the rest is takeout. 

Some people (a local Dr among them) estimate with known rates of local infection, presumed positives (one family of four got sick, all of them, but only one was tested and shows up in the data) and local infections that got credited to the part-time resident's home state that 20 to 25 percent of the local population has had it. Where that bodes well for locals not being the point of transmission is the theory that nearly everyone has been exposed to very low levels of the virus. Not enough to get sick, but enough to start building antibody resistance. 

I don't exactly know all of the resorts measures they are adopting, but I am counting on myself to stay safe. I have been working retail at my store since I was able to be open on May 1st. I have between 10 to 30 people a day thru my gallery, and I wear a mask at all times when anyone else is present. My coworker is 72. Her son and his girlfriend both had it fairly early on, before the mask thing was prevalent. They were in extremely close contact. She did not get it. 

Never did like spending much time in the lodges. Just breaks up my rhythm for riding. Eating during the day? Phhttt. A waste of time. My answer is pocket bacon and my favorite tree pee runs. I have many, due to my general aversion to stopping and going in a lodge 

The gondola was never my favorite lift either. They have been running it all summer to access the upper mountain for mountain biking. Getting in one with five or more strangers is not going to happen. If you are with your crew, keep the vents open and wear your gator you should be fine. 

I did renew my locker rental for the season. It just makes sense for me. It's not too busy in there and will likely be less this year. I will wear a mask during the time I am inside. And the way we shut down last year all my stuff is still in there. I hope my edges didn't rust too much. 

Weather changing patterns are on the way. Very much looking forward to sliding soon. 

• Like 2

We decided to risk it and get the Epic Pass with 7 day reservation window. An interesting observation is that we saw a huge increase in the number of visitors to local attractions here in NJ/NY. Hiking trails that used to be empty on the weekends now require you to get there by 9am otherwise forget about finding a parking spot. Anything outdoor related is slammed with participants - biking, kayaking, canoeing, roller blading, fishing whatever. The uptick in people soing outdoor activities is huge. We are hedging that a lot more people take up skiing/snowboarding this season... 

• Like 1

Back to the ole days of parking lot grilling and chilling, minimal facilities, "roughing" it if you will but for a high price tag. Hoping for the best, expecting the worse and if it means earning turns, so be it. No splitty yet so using the touring skis and heavy F12 frame bindings will have to do.

• Like 1

Thanksgiving this weekend in Canada new cases in Ontario at record level but hospital admissions not peaking yet. Probable spike in two weeks. Gov't advice is house hold members only for turkey feast. Pay attention i suspect your outcome in the US will be no better perhaps worse. Bars closed  and restaurants are back to to take out. Need a nice covering of white stuff to erase the memory of what was and some hope for what might be !

• 2 weeks later...

Border closure extended again today.  With the Canadian side saying that it things will remain closed "until the situation in the US is under control", I'm not planning on getting to anywhere in the US this winter.  With a bunch of vacation I have to burn, it might be a good season to take a road trip to BC ... more than a few hills there I've yet to hit.

10 minutes ago, Shred Gruumer said:

Covid... Just get over it!

I never seen so much fear mongering...  

Delete this stupid political post....  I swear people act like this is some zombie plague ..

Like the 220,000 dead Americans are part of the hoax?

17 minutes ago, Shred Gruumer said:

Covid... Just get over it!

I never seen so much fear mongering...  

Delete this stupid political post....  I swear people act like this is some zombie plague ..

I never thought that buying a season pass would be considered a "political act".... 

• Like 1