Note to New Members ×

Full Hip Replacement??

2012Alpine1

I personally know the former Swiss world cup racer Heinz Inniger. He even won a bronze medal at the swiss championship in 2010 with a hip prosthesis. After retiring from racing he still rides very often and seems to have no problem.

Nevertheless it depends on how the outcome of your surgery is anyway.

Edited by nextcarve

The hip replacement operation and technology keeps improving. Postop precautions recommended in the past appear to be overly cautious. This study comes from the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York, an internationally recognised centre of excellence.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/03/190312170818.htm

20 years ago a horse bucked my right hip out of joint, as I was flying through the air my first thought was, "I'm an alpine snowboarder now", the day before at Okemo against John Neal (a bonafide 5) I got a 4 nastar on skis.

So for 20 years I rode alpine, unable to touch my right foot, I'm a nastar 7 on a snowboard. (totally questionable with the monkeying around going on at the Okemo nastar course these days)  

Last October I got a new hip, snowboarded last winter, it was much easier..

Now I plan to also ski, spent the summer bicycling the Mts of southern vermont, had been unable to for 20 years, I only rode on the flat seacoast of Maine.

200,000$ for the hip, yea medicare, 20 years wasted.

If anyone got a hip 10-15 years ago it's being replaced today, new materials that don't rust.

Waiting for a better mesh to fix my hernia;)

Get the hip, don't take the narcotic  and cut the other pills in half, definitely start eating oatmeal before the operation and definitely use a stool softener, "trust me",  luckily, you'll be walking in two days, three without a cane.

My buddy got a new hip a few years ago. He is an avid cyclist and skier. The new hip did not slow him down at all. He is still pedaling a few thousand miles a year and skiing as hard as ever. Last year he did the Vermont ride - north south border to border in one day!

6 hours ago, 2012Alpine1 said:

Thanks for the encouraging information, i go Under the knife Dec.12th 

Eat well, exercise, if you smoke then reduce, or better stop, in the lead up to your surgery. Any long term health issues e.g. diabetes, you have should be stabilised. These are simple things people in general can do to make the chances of a good outcome significantly higher.

• Like 1

I started snowboarding due to my hip. Due to a car accident, my femur was smashed through my socket and they had to rebuild it. That was in 2003.

I ride every weekend, and every school vacation with my son, and have competed for the last 3 years racing on my alpine setup.

I am not saying I dont get sore, or that ibuprophine isnt my friend, but once healed, you bones will treat you right and you most likely will be fine. 

Oh, and the reason for snowboarding was after a year, I needed to test the hip, so I decided to pick up a sport where I would crash and stress it...

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 7:42 AM, 2012Alpine1 said:

Does anyone still ride hard boots after having their hip replaced or know anyone that has.

Thanks

This will be my 6th season on the right and 4th on the left, never felt better or stronger. I chose the BHR procedure as there have been minimal post surgery issues and once healed, there are no restrictions. A full replacement is still possible if ever needed. Downside is a more invasive procedure and a 14 week recovery to function, takes about a year to be pain free, but that takes work, focus on range of motion, strength, etc. Get your head around that first, buy a new board for daily motivation :😁

FB_IMG_1559251628881.jpg

Edited by Algunderfoot

Zimmer total hips 2006 and 2011. Raced Nastar and USASA from 2005 to 2015. Ski and ride about 50 days a season. No problem with hips. Even with a few hard falls on the hips. Total knee in 2016 gives me more issues due to limited range of motion. Hip replacements in September, on the snow in December. Other than going thru airport security, don't really notice the hips.

Asked my Dr. what her thought would be easier on the knees.  He said he didn't  know because he didn't ski. He said try both and see. We talked about getting him on a carving board.

Edited by arneburner
More info
  • Like 1

I am going to research this some more and speak to my doctor about BHR, if its a fit for me as I am very active. Carving 35-40  days a year 2 softball leagues, Mt and dirt biking, wake boarding... 

Great to hear the encouraging info from the mouth of the experienced bionic carvers. 

Thanks again,

Clint

• Like 1

On 10/24/2019 at 4:31 PM, arneburner said:

Zimmer total hips 2006 and 2011. Raced Nastar and USASA from 2005 to 2015. Ski and ride about 50 days a season. No problem with hips. Even with a few hard falls on the hips. Total knee in 2016 gives me more issues due to limited range of motion. Hip replacements in September, on the snow in December. Other than going thru airport security, don't really notice the hips.

Hi Arne,

Did you look at stem cells for the knee, or was totally trashed?

Left knee arthritis is making itself known this Summer...

19 hours ago, Algunderfoot said:

Hi Arne,

Did you look at stem cells for the knee, or was totally trashed?

Left knee arthritis is making itself known this Summer...

Trashed, After 4 scopes, it was bone on bone. Need to have some cartilage for it to work. No problem riding a board, a little stiff riding a bike.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2019 at 9:42 AM, 2012Alpine1 said:

Does anyone still ride hard boots after having their hip replaced or know anyone that has.

Thanks

I had both hip labrums done 10 + years ago over a 2 year period. The labrum surgery is way more intrusive than a hip replacement, believe it or not. My recovery from surgery was 6-8 weeks on crutches, and 4 months of intense rehab to walk properly. Since the surgery I have had lower back issues, that sometime creep up to my mid back, caused by the limp I have acquired.

Remedy:

Lots of stretching, if I don't stretch I cant walk. I recommend yoga twice a week, cycling and swimming for exercise. Running and hiking are not an option anymore. 

I am due for hip replacements on both, as the labrum surgery was done incorrectly and has caused other issues. From my research, as I would like do to them at the same time, a hip replacement recovery is almost a 1/4 of the time  than the labrum surgery. 

If you're at the point where the 800's aren't doing it, I say do it the sooner than later. Recovery times are faster the younger you are. 

• 1 month later...

Three weeks after surgery Full hip replacement, walking with no limp, pain free, back to work. Looking forward to stepping back in the plates end of Feb. beginning of March. If you know someone dealing with hip pain caused by lack of cartilage I highly suggest getting this easy and quick recovery surgery done, do not wait any longer. Don't get me wrong I used all the Oxy I was given to relieve the pain that's why they give it to you. In the hospital at 6 am on the couch at 2 pm "walking" with crutches. 

Again thanks for the encouragement to get it done.

Think snow,

Clint

• Like 2