• 40-50 years old
    • 50-60 years old
    • >60 years old
  2. 2. When did you start carving

• 19080s or ealier!
    • 1990s
    • 2000s
    • After 2010

Arriving at first lift this morning I was suprised to see all the "old" people in line.  Then the moment of blinding insight struck - they were probably the same age or maybe even youger than I am.

It got me thinking about the demographics of the carving community which i perceive as aging so question 1 is to identify age groups for carvers and question 2 when they started to carve.  Boot type is not important.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lonbordin said:

I'm 50... but hoping to get older so I went with 50-60... still could've gone 40-50.  So there's that.

I was wondering whether I should have been more specific at the boundaries (40-49. 50-59 etc) but got lazy.  Sorry to make you feel older than you are!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

What I do see, is all the kids who race USASA for GS, SL or even BX, end up on hardboots after the age of 14. They have to to be competitive at all. All the disciplines they compete in have them use the techniques used for carvers, whether it be pumping or getting the hips over the edges. I am not suggesting we in this community start supporting the USASA program, but if any of us want to see the next generation and what they look like, simply make it a point to go to the USASA web site and see where they are having whatever race, and show up and ride that mountain.

My kid is 11 and has been racing on hard boots for 3 years now. Nothing makes him happier than to yell "Hardbooter!" and say hello to whomever we see that day on the mountain. You don't have to race, as we just love to see your trenches.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TVR said:

I am not suggesting we in this community start supporting the USASA program

I am.

1 hour ago, TVR said:

but if any of us want to see the next generation and what they look like, simply make it a point to go to the USASA web site and see where they are having whatever race, and show up and ride that mountain.

Or better yet, enter the race.  You might surprise yourself.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jack Michaud said:

I am.

Not USASA but im planning to enter the next race event at my local indoor slope they run a banked slalom style course as part of the selection process for the national boarder cross team. I rode it last year after the event having never ridden that style of thing before and according to the timing i would have finished second, not to shabby for someone who just enjoys turning.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Jack Michaud said:

I am.

I was trying to be neutral, so as not to cause any issues... but I am all for everyone who can get around a gate to join in the races. It would be great to have more competition, and since I am moderate at best, you have a good chance to take a medal. It makes everyone a better rider and is fun as hell.....

Fun fact,...  The race fee INCLUDES the lift ticket price and gives you a full day ticket on that mountain that day.... most times, at a HUGE discount vs retail.. and supports one hell of a good non-proffit

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, pokkis said:

1980's or earlier carving sounds very odd option

Not that odd, carving in softboots still counts, right?  Started riding in the late 80's having crossed over from 20+ years of skiing, had no interest in freestyle / skate-style tricks when I started, was just trying to make the board do the same sort of turns as a carved ski.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pokkis said:

I linked my first carved (no slide) toeside and heelside turns in 1983 on a Burton Powdergun on super soft fresh groomers. I had made leather loops about 2 inches below the top of my boots in which I passed the heelstraps so they could give me some support on heelside turns. I also added velcro to them because they were coming loose from the pressure.

• Like 2

Oh no you didn't Jack!!

OK, awaiting PSR to chime in man... we will now hear the stories of Vikings carving on Madd snowboards doing tricks from days of yore. I am gonna send a text now, just to stir the pot a little and get the stories starting...

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

40 here

Started in 1987 or 88 can't remember on a Big Burton Safari. 

Went to Pierre Verot school later at Belle neige like others here and the first 10 lessons were specific about carving . The instructor was in hardboots. Can' remember the year.

I didn't think it was cool very young and exchange my superb mint Safari for a Rebel freestyle.  What a mistake lol.

Stopped about 10 years...after marriage in the 2000's ? silly me.

Edited by Poloturbo
  • Like 1

So, 70's we still had fins. You cannot sideslip on fins. My Flite only Carved, but only at fairly shallow edge angles. Too steep up onto edge usually meant you wiped-out. Burton's bevel - bottom Performers would do slidey steered turns IF you removed a fin or two, and would Not "Carve" anything with all the fins removed. My first fin-Less carver was an '86-'87 Sims Ultimate swallowtail with Grell/Sims bindings.

• Like 3

Racing has the following brackets....

30 - 40 are masters, but most go Open class

40 - 50 are Legends

50 - 60 are Kahunas 

60 + are extremely respected by me

I have been hardbooting only 2 years now, and race Legends... soon enough to be Kahunas...

1 hour ago, pokkis said:

My first hardboot board was a Hot Logical - Grey with fluorescent Mondrian-blocks - which I think was a 1988 design. I was on a Cruzer 165 following some guy down Wachusett until he took a left turn and was gone. Finally caught up with him to ask what he was riding - a Hot - and I bought a used one at Madd Mike's the next day. Memory may be failing but I think this was 1989-90. Rode in ski boots and broke the bails on my Emery bindings more or less every ten days.

• Like 2

58 yrs old.

Mid 70’s on a yellow snurfer on the terrain on golf course next door.

Early 90’s on a Burton M6 with Sorels.

2010 on a Donek Razor with Driver X boots and Flow NXTAT bindings.

2014 on a Coiler Nirvana

AND i got an email just yesterday from my coach which said:

“What angles did you have your bindings set up on Sunday?

I was going to suggest 60/55 if you were at 55/50 . . . 

You are so close, your upper body and trailing arm are much improved from a year ago “

How long does it F#%king take?  :smashfrea

• LOL 3

My first "hardboot" was some kind of hybrid.  It had a shiny black boot, almost like patent leather, and firm soft cuff.  Way more support than Sorel or Burton boot.  They might have been from Kemper?  They totally failed.  Was riding total Kemper package then with pink and blue safari inspired Agressor and one of my favorites the Bullet.  I think the Kemper 170 Apex, was my first board that really carved, but was too soft for me.

• Like 2