Note to New Members ×

With Mark Miller's encouragement, and permission from my sidelined Wife (fibia), I took the liberty to take her SF WARP 161 out for a run....well one quickly became four, and being late in the day, zapped any energy I had left! Hopefully I'm not sounding like a broken record here but this board had all the edge hold I've come to expect from a thirst. Being late in the day, conditions were mixed and well tracked. The only other board I ever rode that could throw down so many tight turns in a limited space was a Coiler Angrry 160 ish. I understand from Corey the Donek Mad Killer (aka Muscle Killer) is a similar joy ride, think skateboard slalom. The SF was remarkable stable, no chatter, despite the mixed conditions.

Surprisingly though, I could still shape wider turns with ease, and it didn't care one bit that I have over 50 lbs on my Wife. Like all thirst boards, they want a calm, neutral rider, you load the nose and you'll over steer, while the board won't care, you will, as Corey learned on a Superconductor last Friday.

Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised, but now need to sell off another board or two, to make room for an SF of my own ?

Edited by Algunderfoot
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

One like this? I'm in love with mine. Effortless carves a turn instead of having to push on a board to get it to perform. Extremely stable at high speeds too, gave it the tuck test. Only had a day or 2 on it so I'm sure I'll have more to say

0402181812.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2018 at 11:55 AM, Algunderfoot said:

With Mark Miller's encouragement, and permission from my sidelined Wife (fibia), I took the liberty to take her SF WARP 161 out for a run....well one quickly became four, and being late in the day, zapped any energy I had left! Hopefully I'm not sounding like a broken record here but this board had all the edge hold I've come to expect from a thirst. Being late in the day, conditions were mixed and well tracked. The only other board I ever rode that could throw down so many tight turns in a limited space was a Coiler Angrry 160 ish. I understand from Corey the Donek Mad Killer (aka Muscle Killer) is a similar joy ride, think skateboard slalom. The SF was remarkable stable, no chatter, despite the mixed conditions.

Surprisingly though, I could still shape wider turns with ease, and it didn't care one bit that I have over 50 lbs on my Wife. Like all thirst boards, they want a calm, neutral rider, you load the nose and you'll over steer, while the board won't care, you will, as Corey learned on a Superconductor last Friday.

Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised, but now need to sell off another board or two, to make room for an SF of my own ?

Al,

Sorry to hear about Beth. Hope she’s doing better.

Looking for a new board for Gloria and SF sounds what we might be looking for. She’s doing good on our typical softer/ slower snow, but when it gets harder/ faster she’s struggling with speed control ( me too ) :). What you think? Maybe even a Superconductor?

Edited by digger jr

• 1 year later...

I rode the SF Monday and Tuesday at Timberline. Conditions were bulletproof in the mornings,  The board handled great both days. On Monday I had the bindings set in the back and things are working great. Tuesday I had them set more forward and things were even better. The Palmer  was open on Tuesday. It was the perfect board for that day on the run. 

6 hours ago, west carven said:

howdy

how did I miss this post? … a year ago ...so has the board sold? … sounds like something I would like ...

perfect for my girlish figure ...

Oh dude   you would love this board. I'm sure it's for sale but they're not cheap. Most people that on these boards have jobs. 

Probably why I don't own one. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, kram said:

I rode the SF Monday and Tuesday at Timberline. Conditions were bulletproof in the mornings,  The board handled great both days. On Monday I had the bindings set in the back and things are working great. Tuesday I had them set more forward and things were even better. The Palmer  was open on Tuesday. It was the perfect board for that day on the run. 

I started with centered stance and eventually moved it forward a notch because I found myself whipping through turns so fast that I occaisionally had difficulty getting my weight forward to get out of a turn and into the next. Almost went into the trees a couple of times. Moving stance forward was the cure for me.

Rode it mostly when conditions were icey hard or poor visability. I don't like going fast when it's really hard or I can't see the terrain.

Not that it makes much difference, but standard SF's are 162cm, but maybe Beth's was a 161? 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for a Turny Little Bandit and I Want On Of These SF162's!!   I'm 225lbs and like a softer board. 

Don't need a stiff piece of lumber that I can only ride for a couple of hours before my legs give out!   Been there- Done that!  

Mark,  can the stock board handle my petite 6'2' 225lbs.   ????

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Barry, 

Sorry for the tardy reply, I've been busy with Spring chores, snow withdrawals etc. Easily, Mark's boards are not as weight specific as other customs, plus he will provide you with the flex index you prefer / suitable for your weight. My 1st ride on a SF was my Wife's and I have her by 60 lbs. If you truly want a turn monster, lean toward the softer side, so ask Mark to something similar to what he built for me. 

Get exited!

• 6 months later...

She's a dirty girl in all the right places.  Like Fiona in Shameless.  You DEFINITELY don't want to bring her home to mother.  She'll make you say the F word in front of your grandma and then cut the tags off of all your pillows then call the bedding police.  Oh and don't let them tell you "it doesn't need any isolation".  Try it.  It's ****ing AWESOME, Grandma. 👍

IMG_2747.jpg.9c229b574084d5a32c6e72dda248e861.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, barryj said:

Beautiful  ride Kneel!  What's the waist?    You ridden an Angrry or MK for any comparisons??

Waist is 19 and change.  I like them a little thick in the middle.

Interesting you bring up the Angrry, I had 2 boards budgeted for 19/20.  The first was an XC which I had discussed with Mark at MCC. The second was to be an Angrry which I placed with Bruce sitting in Kalispell airport on the way back east from MCC. Had a June build date, went back and forth a couple times on specs, then 3 months of radio silence. I really would have liked the Angrry, but got a little frustrated in the process.  So I asked Mark to ship the XC with a buddy.  After yesterday, I'm no longer thinking about an Angrry...

It's a killer board! Perfect size turns for a short board. I don't think I'd want it any tighter. Rode mine today on nice snow (first time this year), but a super crowded hill in flat light. Had to stop and wait for traffic a lot and found myself riding way over on the sides, under the chair lift, around lift towers just to find an open lane. 

Started on my XC 1st run and switched right away to the SF. I was afraid the XC would make the SF obsolete, but apparently not.

@Kneel have you ridden it naked (without Geckos)?

**updated 02/02/2020 additional comments** groundhog palindrome day

Rode the SF for a few hours on nice snow today. Variable overcast light and weekend crowds made riding the short board a good idea. Gotta say this is the best little board I've ever ridden (SG frt, K162, etc). It's surprisingly stable at speed making a large turns across the hill and it's just as sure making super smooth tight turns, fast or slow. I can't think of anything I'd want to change with this board!

The crazy thing is that Mark told me he built the first SF and sent it out the door--never tested, never ridden. I imagined it would take some testing of prototypes to get it just right, but no, whatever magic formula of core-flex-sidecut wizardry he has conjured up with seems to translate to whatever he builds. To this date Mark hasn't ridden one.

@BLOODTYPEZX10R, you definitely have to try one of these boards!

:eplus2:

• Like 1

My SF is about 20.3 for ~60° front ~55° rear. He'll make it whatever width works for your boot size and preferred angles without overhang.

I like riding shallower angles because I feel like I get a better balance between heel/toe edge pressure, and driving with knees using the cuff to lever the board.

***Correction: Just measured my SF and it actually has a 20cm waist. A day off from riding and all this talk about measurements made me get the tape out. I told Mark that my preferred waist width was 20.5cm, but he, more accurately, built it for my preferred stance width and angles. He's a perfectionist and wants us old guys to ride narrower boards.*** 

7 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

@Kneel have you ridden it naked (without Geckos)?

I wanted to put the geckos on the 8RW all last season, but never did. Didn't need it. Put them right on the SF for the first ride. I don't suspect the SF or the XC NEED it either, but man it felt good. It took me quite some time to figure out the 8RW, but not the SF.  Right smack in the middle inserts with the geckos asym in the middle row, not pushed out to the edge. It helps knowing how to ride Mark's boards as well. There is a definite relaxed characteristic to them that I haven't experienced with any other board.

FWIW, that was a discussion Mark and I had.  We run a similar setup. 60/57 and M28(Track 700).  Wanted a 20 waist, which is where I have the 8RW, but after he crunched the numbers we agreed upon 19.2ish.  Plenty of room for those angles even without the geckos while carpet surfing.

• Like 2