Note to New Members ×

Coiler Angrry 170

Gabe T

West:

"a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds".  IMHO there is no one/single dictionary way to describe carving.  

Dynamic/Playful is what I hope to be able to do one day.

Gabe:  Nice video/riding as always!!  Hope to see you this winter.  4mm vs 3mm?

• Like 1

Love the pop and snap you get out of that Coiler Angrry 170,   seems like your riding it like Bruce designed it:  "High maneuverability"      "With a substantially more variable sidecut, this board offers a very engaging ride as weight distribution can quickly alter turn shape. If you’ve got short, narrow, or not-very-steep runs, this board lets you make much more turns at a lower speed and still have a blast. A real go-kart on snow!"

Show us what else it can do..................

On 10/15/2017 at 1:47 AM, barryj said:

Love the pop and snap you get out of that Coiler Angrry 170,   seems like your riding it like Bruce designed it:  "High maneuverability"      "With a substantially more variable sidecut, this board offers a very engaging ride as weight distribution can quickly alter turn shape. If you’ve got short, narrow, or not-very-steep runs, this board lets you make much more turns at a lower speed and still have a blast. A real go-kart on snow!"

Show us what else it can do..................

Barry -  check out Gabe in softies on his Coiler BX.  

https://youtu.be/CMziK7kfDZY

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments everyone.

This version of the Angrry (3mm) dates back a few years.   I’m sure that there have been some iterations of this design since with some tweaks here and there.   In general, I have found the finish of turns on Angrrys to be less pronounced.   I think this is a result of the combination of sidecuts used  (In the case of the 170, it transitions from around 10.5 to close to 13 in the mid).   Definitely a less hooky feel; throw in some taper and that also adds to the effect.      

On 10/13/2017 at 12:15 PM, corey_dyck said:

Yeah, if you finish across the fall line on a mellow slope, you stop.  

Easy fix - move to the mountains!  Except it's not that easy... 

On 10/13/2017 at 9:16 PM, west carven said:

howdyite

even on a mellow slope you can still go across the fallline, but than I am in the rockies... and not on a former dump site...

There’s no arguing that lengthening out the carve will slow you down.  On that run, under ideal conditions, you could probably do one extreme carve and still have enough speed to keep riding.   2 full extreme carves and you’d probably come close to a complete stop. 

Technically, I’m not sure the place was ever a dump site, although the whopping 550 ft vertical may seem kind of "dumpy" !    I had heard it was built up with landfill but I think they actually just moved dirt to the top to give it some added height.   2 more turns... yeah!  :)         

Unfortunately that's what we've got to carve out our fun with.   Last year in particular was not great in terms of conditions.    Snowfall was ok but of course that made it too soft for decent carving and the fluctuating temps didn’t really allow the snow to set firmly for extended periods.    Don’t think I had any video of myself shot last season.   Sub par conditions mixed in with all day crowds due to the addition of night skiing made for few opportunities for shooting.   If you saw how busy that hill can get sometimes on the weekend, you'd be horrified!  Although the fact that it is short and fairly wide in spots somehow makes it less scary ...   If you ride fast, the horror show only last about a minute!

On 10/13/2017 at 11:00 AM, pow4ever said:

Gabe:  Nice video/riding as always!!  Hope to see you this winter.  4mm vs 3mm?

I’m not sure what’s in the cards this year, but it would be great to  ride with you again.   Your are definitely one of the most enthusiastic riders I have ever met!   You’ve got the happy carver’s perma-smile going on 24-7!   (I’m assuming you smile in your sleep dreaming about carving)    p.s. I saw those pics of you from late last year and you’re looking good!