Note to New Members ×

11 hours ago, Kneel said:

We run a similar setup. 60/57 and M28(Track 700).  Wanted a 20 waist, which is where I have the 8RW, but after he crunched the numbers we agreed upon 19.2ish

Kneel,                                                                                                              Wow! That's identical to my setup and boot size (Track 425) as well!  :eek:.....and I want a 20 waist also!!

What "numbers crunching" specifically got you to a 19.2 waist? 

19.2 was the minimum waist to avoid boot out with mondo 28?? 

Edited by barryj

From what I understand, which is not much, not to mention could be completely wrong, is the warp(asym) shape allows you to get away with shallower angles with the increased distance toe to heel.  That's the easy part. But what Mark does with the sidecut to give it the warp shape has to make sense to him. He has all my numbers, boot size(with BTS), binding angles, stance width, height, weight, etc. If I say 20, he says "ok, sure,. but why 20?".  I trust him to tell me whats gonna work best with his designs, his materials, etc. And he's 2 for 2 with me. No doubt 3 for 3 when I get back to VT next week and put the XC through its paces,which if I remember correctly is a 19.5 waist.

I guess what I'm getting at is everyone wants to say "Hey, build me a board, but it's GOT to be a XXcm waist...". We have an extraordinary resource at our disposal on this site where we have guys that have a far better grasp of the physics and dimensions of our sport, where literally 1cm in either direction can be the difference of shit or salvation.  It's not unlike golf where 1/8th of an inch off the club face is the difference between pin high or short and in the bunker. I played D1 golf in college and I'm still a low single digit handicap.  I have people all the time asking me to help them with their game. The first thing I say is "Sure! I'll help you to be an amateur...but if you want professional advice, ask a pro."  👍

Sorry, only one cup of coffee this morning. I'm sure none of that made any sense...

Edited by Kneel
  • Like 3

@barryj Essentially, he builds a board to fit your desired stance width and angles, if you already know them. Waist width will vary slightly for different length boards.

Generally, a long board and a short board of the same waist width will have different widths where your feet are, ie, a short board will be wider at the binding location compared to a long board of the same waist width. We're talking mm's diff.

You should contact Mark. Get it straight from the horse's mouth. I'm sure he's just waiting for your call. I can sense he's watching, all you have to do, is call.:ph34r:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

all you have to do, is call.

Thanks Biggie,

I've corresponded with Mark a couple times here via PM's

Being on the injured Reserve Alpine list this season I'm in no rush...which unfortunately has given me Way To Much Time to overthink all of this!!!

I just can't pull the trigger..... I'm torn between the SF 161  or SG Full Race 163 or an Oxess RS 162 SL or an Coiler Angrry....... in that preference order....at the moment! 

Edited by barryj

• 2 months later...

10 days on my SF now and can confirm the hype is real. If there is a more capable short board out there I'd like to know what it is. Tip it up high and you will disappear up your own trench. Flatten it off a little and it makes stable, big turns that would make much longer boards proud. Really easy to take from a carve to slide to carve; very useful in jerry rich enviroments. Edge grip is great. In longer turns sometimes it feels like some extra effective edge would be of benefit, but seriously people, it's a 162.

Perhaps the biggest revelation is how versatile this thing is. It's a true alpine board in every sense, but you can ride it like an AM. In fact, I would go as far to say it encourages you to release your inner waay gnarrllly duuude. Shortcuts thru trees to next groomer & bumps just too easy. The only downside is the real risk of a putting a core shot on your new carving stick. 

Underfoot it's damp, but not quiet, if that makes sense. In comparison, I would call my beloved Nirvana quiet and damp. Both are really easy to ride all day, but maybe the metal Nirvana would leave you slightly fresher at last chair, at the expense of some tactile (and hoodlum) enjoyment along the way.

The sidecut is smooooth - with some vsr's I sometimes got the feeling the different radii were fighting each other. Not so here. Riding is all about staying centered and angulating, with very minor fore/aft weighting to further shape the turn. Not sure it would suit the sort of aggressive rider that really likes to actively load the nose/tail and force the different scrs and board shape to work to their advantage - they might find it a bit too refined. Think Aston Martin v Lambo. Then again, it does everything else so well I would not be at all surprised that it can do that too.

Build quality is superb and the inclusion of the board cover, scraper and freight a professional & welcome touch. Mark spoke to me for 45min to make sure he understood what I wanted, and he delivered 110%. He mentioned he can still recognize all his customers by their boards and I believe that. 

So, like the Queen of England says "We are amused". And that is what snow sliding is supposed to be all about. Thanks @BLOODTYPEZX10R. I will be in touch re that CC+ or PCjv. Or maybe an 8R.......🙉

Also a quick thanks to the others who have previously posted in this thread - really helped me. Quench the Trench my Thirsty friends!

IMG_20200203_085041672.jpg

Edited by Lurch
Just do it Barry
  • Like 4

Apologies gents. I actually just gave Mark all my details (stance, angles, boot size, binding type, weight, etc, etc), told him "SF 162 WARP " and let him have at it.

Turned out to be 20.7 wide for my M29 landpackers at 55/50. The serial number is long enough to be continued and appears to contain some measurements (like .300 whatever that means). Believe scr averages around 10.44, but no idea what the actual L & R (asym) sidecuts are. Turny.     

----------

EDIT: Mark gave me some more info:

1. SCR: there is a surprising difference between the L & R scr that is not apparent under foot. Thirst voodoo.

2. Numbers are his flex index. Can be accurately translated across different board models.

----------

Oh and due to some obscure board alchemy, the inserts are not the same depth, so you get a spec sheet to tell you max allowable length for screws below the binding base and which insert is the shallowest. Stock TD3 worked just fine. 

Edited by Lurch
Just do it Barry

• 1 year later...

I got to ride this 12 yr old girls board tue. it was awesome!! No pink on it though😭.  Not used to skinny boards so after one run I had to bump the front binder up a notch. Mark asked me if I needed a tape measure, I laughed and said that's unnecessary I go by feel:eplus2: and one minor adjustment nailed the sweet spot :cool:

it held a carve better than my worn out BX, (nearly same EE at 10cm shorter) such a pleasure to rail some super tight full c carves on low angle runs and keep up the speed I had to give it back to the little girl owner(she's goofy too, thanks Annie) right away so didn't get to rip the steeps on it, a bit short and skinny for my all mt. tastes so I'll be replacing my beloved BX with over 200 days on it with a custom tanker spanker 8 wide optimized for switch:1luvu:

can't afford a full quiver of thirsts or I'd have a SF, XC, BX, TS, and SW

Edited by b0ardski
  • Like 7

ps, more info

I'm 6' 200# and tend to rocker a boards nose over time, the sf was much stiffer than my bx which was designed to be more of an all mt. noodle than hard carver, the sf was very forgiving for how stiff it felt and I'm for sure at the high end of it's weight range, I think Annie needs a 20# back pack til she grows into it🏂😉.

the snow was 2" snowcone slush on granular hardpack that held the edge well, super easy to load an flick transitions, the perfect narrow crowded trail board. It cut right through the slush piles when on edge and surfed them when I wanted.

Like all Thirsts you can stretch out a turn or tighten it up with just angulation, IMO some more width and a more nose on both ends it would be a great board for steep narrow chutes and tree runs

Edited by b0ardski
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1