Note to New Members ×

Ester Ledecka

Jack M

On 2/24/2018 at 2:26 PM, jim_s said:

I was so waiting for someone to coin the name Poly-Ester, but alas, nobody seems to share my sense of, um... Linguistic Vision... Yeah, that's it, Linguistic Vision... ;-)

Absolutely amazing lady!!

You might have to be an enginerd to really really appreciate that term :)

• LOL 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, patmoore said:

Quote  of the Day from SkiRacing.com:   "Heck, if I were the US women’s speed coach, I’d have a day where all my athletes strapped on a carving board, and had them run some dual GS. Clearly there are benefits."

If I were a snowboard coach, I'd be sniping around the edges of a ski race inviting athletes who might be frustrated by the rigidity of ski racing. My opening line would be "Snowboarders have way more fun.".

I know Canada Snowboard planned a talent ID camp for skiers a few years ago to the point where they ordered boots and boards for the skiers to use. It caused an uproar with Alpine Canada (the ski racing governing body) and they had to cancel. At this point though, what does the sport of alpine snowboarding have to lose?

Edited by skategoat
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, patmoore said:

Quote  of the Day from SkiRacing.com:   "Heck, if I were the US women’s speed coach, I’d have a day where all my athletes strapped on a carving board, and had them run some dual GS. Clearly there are benefits."

That's in the comments.  The main article discusses whether her win is a good or bad thing for ski racing.

53 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

That's in the comments.  The main article discusses whether her win is a good or bad thing for ski racing.

It's an excellent article well worth the read. I chuckled when I read:

I was having an identity crisis. Maybe snowboarders were right this entire time, maybe we really do suck? Is ski racing really as easy as freeski icon Tanner Hall infamously said it was during a feud with American Downhiller Daron Rahlves back in 2004? This is a disaster!

On 3/6/2018 at 9:33 AM, ursle said:

If the skiers were required to "Strap On", 25% would get broken collarbones, or wrists, it's a very demanding sport and injuries are prevented by learning gradually.

Unlikely.

Many years ago, before the local ski academy deleted their snowboard race program, 'equipment swap day' was a spring rite. Granted, neither 'side'  expressed a high level of proficiency, but from the look of things, the athletes took to the 'new' equipment with enthusiasm and vigor, with nary an injury in sight.  

On 3/6/2018 at 10:33 AM, Neil Gendzwill said:

The main article discusses whether her win is a good or bad thing for ski racing.

The main article is a waste of pixels. They could have spent some time discussing how much of the success on snow is derived from the effort put in off snow. Or maybe how 'glide is glide', and that, as boardski suggests ("glisse skills transfer"), there is a facile recognition of sensation from one platform to the other. Or maybe pose the idea that perhaps ski and snowboard gate events aren't as different as they initially appear? Or how apparently drastic variability in training can keep an athlete fresh and stimulated, preventing stagnation and burnout? Or take note that she, Shiffrin, and Hirscher all use the 'same' boots and skis?

Instead it's more identity angst, which does nothing to further either type of race program, but perpetuates entrenched stereotypes. 

->As Ester points out frequently, at some level, the pursuit is supposed to be fun and rewarding.

When you consider how much 'redbluredblueredblue' and useless skill drills a young athlete is exposed to, it's no wonder there's a lack of depth in US skiing.

"Is ski racing really as easy as freeski icon Tanner Hall infamously said it was during a feud with American Downhiller Daron Rahlves back in 2004?"

Skiing, (and by extension, ski/ snowboard) racing)  is, at it's core, a very simple activity. Clearing a path to that simplicity, alas, is not.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

there is a facile recognition of sensation from one platform to the other. Or maybe pose the idea that perhaps ski and snowboard gate events aren't as different as they initially appear?

new event; Ester's alpine combined, 2 courses, superG and pgs; must run red and blue pgs course and sg course on one edge and two.

I'm all in favor of it.  Here's my tally from the Connecticut and Massachusetts Senior Winter Games over the past ten days.  GS and Super G on skis and board.  The bronze was for Super G on skis.  I needed to go faster!

413804236.jpg

Edited by patmoore
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I will say its way easier in the lift line now to say " its an alpine snowboard, ya know like that woman in the Olympics who won 2 golds in snowboarding and skiing"  The interest has definitely spiked in the younger crowd and hopefully it helps our sport !  

Edited by P06781
  • Like 3

On 3/10/2018 at 5:49 PM, P06781 said:

I will say its way easier in the lift line now to say " its an alpine snowboard, ya know like that woman in the Olympics who won 2 golds in snowboarding and skiing"  The interest has definitely spiked in the younger crowd and hopefully it helps our sport !  

I agree, one of my friend who rides with me said that he heard someone say "Dad, that is like that Ester lady rides who won the gold!!!" And I really hope it helps the sport as well!!

Edited by yamifumi
  • Like 3