Note to New Members ×

How to watch 2018 Olympic Snowboarding

Jack M

9 minutes ago, daveo said:

Think ester's had gold buckles... Nevin's I think are the same ones he always uses? I think they have some sort of replacement tongue. 

That's as far as my knowledge extends. I'm not useful, I know. 

Screenshot_20171011-230325_edit.jpg?type

Screenshot_20171011-230404_edit.jpg?type

Screenshot_20171011-230400_edit.jpg?type

Nevin's boots have gold as well.

Edited by lonbordin
Gold... ?

5 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

True, one would expect perfection in course prep at any world class event, in fact there are pretty strict rules regarding such, but then , everyone raced on the same conditions─I'm assuming─Did the top (16?) qualifiers from each course go on to race in the other course and then eliminate based on combined times?

Too bad they shortened the whole format. It does make it less fair not having each racer go through each course, especially when one course seems so much faster for whatever reason.

No, it was single elimination. For the most part, if you got the blue course, you lost. Choice of course was based on qualifying time, so at least it wasn’t just the luck of the draw. 

I can't help but think that the IOC and FIS just want alpine snowboarding to go away. The course itself was uninspiring, especially compared to the course at Sochi. They don't bother to maintain it. Then they go single run. Add to that the Kosir/Lee travesty.

Lunchbag letdown.

Jasey Jay showed a lot of class in his interviews. He made his feelings known but conducted himself like a pro.

Edited by skategoat

2 hours ago, Jack Michaud said:

No, it was single elimination. For the most part, if you got the blue course, you lost. Choice of course was based on qualifying time, so at least it wasn’t just the luck of the draw. 

So, qualifiers were one run and done?  I didn't see qualifiers. I obviously saw the single elimination finals. My question was did the top 16 racers from each course get the normal run in the other course to qualify into the finals. If so, it's fair, just makes finals a little less open to surprises and 2nd chances.

Single elimination finals happens quite often in world cup and NorAm races when they are short on time.

My previous post:

Posted 10 hours ago (edited)

What a disappointment, the NBC announcers are terrible! They don't explain much and really don't seem to be very knowledgeable about the PGS format.

Looks like they're doing a single run elimination to save time. Top qualifiers get to pick the fast course and looks like red is faster.

What's cool is the stands are packed!

Edited by bigwavedave

8 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

I was just going to ask if anyone else saw that. The photo finish looked like the Kosir won and you hear him saying so when he saw the replay.

So I just looked at the photo and maybe Kosir's hand is higher than the sensor, but in the photo, he clearly is first.

Completely agree! The previous link didn't work for me, but this one did:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/photo-finish-show-south-korean-snowboarder-actually-losing-062545852.html

Favoritism from the hosting country? 

I'd hate to be on the blue course...

Just finished watching the TV finals (recorded).  The single run red/blue course differences were a shame along with the Kim photo finish controversy.  But it can't take away from Ledecka and Galmarini's consistency in their wins.  Hopefully the hype over Ledecka winning two events will keep PGS around for a while in the Olympics.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Corey said:

Completely agree! The previous link didn't work for me, but this one did:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/photo-finish-show-south-korean-snowboarder-actually-losing-062545852.html

Favoritism from the hosting country? 

I'd hate to be on the blue course...

There is no photo finish, it is just like in skiing, rider must cut laser beam, who cuts that first wins.
Korean guy had his hand in better position

• Like 1

The blue course was definitely a disadvantage. After watching women’s and men’s, did blue produce one winning run? And Trace Worthington as a commentator? Hard to find parallels between freestyle aerials and PGS. Never saw the qualifiers...were Trapp and Muss victims of the blue course as well?

4 hours ago, powdahbonz said:

The blue course was definitely a disadvantage. After watching women’s and men’s, did blue produce one winning run? And Trace Worthington as a commentator? Hard to find parallels between freestyle aerials and PGS. Never saw the qualifiers...were Trapp and Muss victims of the blue course as well?

Normally, even with single elimination finals, the top 16 racers from each course get a second run in the other course. Top 16 combined times from qualifiers go on to finals. The top 8 get to pick the course they like for their pairing, giving them an earned (by being fast in qualifiers) advantage.

But, I didn't see the qualifiers...so don't know for sure how they did it. Trap and AJ likely didn't finish top 16 in their course to earn a second run.

Edited by bigwavedave

For the qualifiers, they also just had one run.  Top 16 lowest times out of the first group advanced, then top 8, then top 4.  I don't know how they assigned red vs blue for the first run, but after that the faster time of any pair must have had their choice.  I'm pretty sure Ledecka ran red course for every run.  I may have missed some commentary because I was watching a Cavs game on TV at the same time.

Ledecka had fastest qulifying so she was on the red course the whole time as she had fastest time in qualifying. 

I think only way people lost in red course was if they fall or made mistake: Alena Zarvazina fell on bronze medal run on red course.

Edited by yamifumi

3 hours ago, west carven said:

the guy got robbed...

DWx11nQUQAAuOZW.jpg

That's a good picture! If you zoom in, you can see the lights. Looks like the far rider's hand just passed over them, while the Korean rider had his hand positioned perfectly. The red course rider tripped the light with his shin. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, daveo said:

Right. So he didn't get robbed, then. He missed putting his hand through the sensor. Well, I'm sure his upcoming training will fix his mistake for next time. 

No he crossed the line first.  He should have won, he was robbed.  Because the technology used is so sh*tty it can't tell who crosses the finish line isn't the racers fault.

Edited by lonbordin
If it's close they should just review the photo finish, easy peasy solution.
  • Like 3

Don't think it is who crosses the line first. It is who passes the sensor first. Otherwise they wouldn't all try to run their hand down through the sensor they would stretch out directly in front of them since that would give the longest lever and fastest time. You know, pythagoras and all. All athletes are aware of it, it has been done like that for years, he missed the sensor and I'm sure his training will now account for this error and he won't (at least less likely) make this mistake again. 

I agree he was faster to the finish line, if his hand was lower, he would have won. Everyone "cheats" the technology by punching their hand down, it's the accepted norm. People with long arms (and a board with a short nose?) have an advantage that has nothing to do with how fast they are.

The rules of a body part crossing first date back to when you started by tripping a wand with a body part (legs). Now the nose of the boards are even with a gate at the start. When you're measuring results in thousandths of a second, maybe they should think about some kind modern technology─sensors on the racers front foot? ....and calculate the setback from the nose?

They were using sensors on halfpipers for vert measurement.

Edited by bigwavedave