Note to New Members ×

How to watch 2018 Olympic Snowboarding

Jack M

So exactly when do I turn my TV on to watch anything? Confused... I only get BS ..NBC and CNBC ....please advise!

ps.. I been too busy studying the added Big Air event for my return to the Olympics in 2024 with Peru... I believe my great great uncle Jubu was from their..

Edited by Shred Gruumer

40 minutes ago, Shred Gruumer said:

So exactly when do I turn my TV on to watch anything? Confused... I only get BS ..NBC and CNBC ....please advise!

ps.. I been too busy studying the added Big Air event for my return to the Olympics in 2024 with Peru... I believe my great great uncle Jubu was from their..

Scrolling down to the bottom of this list:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/how-watch-every-single-olympic-snowboarding-competition-live

They now show that qualifying (event, not TV coverage) takes place starting 7:00 PM EST today (9:00 AM South Korea time), and finals take place starting at 11:30 PM EST today.  There are live stream buttons for each, so that may be a way to watch both.

The TV listings show PGS starting at 11:35 PM EST on NBC.  So that lines up with the finals.  Earlier listings don't mention coverage of the qualifying on either NBC or NBS-Sports.  So I would do the following:

If you just want the finals:

1. Watch NBC or the live stream starting at 11:30 PM EST tonight.  Or record if you have an AARP-dictated bedtime like me.

If you want qualifying and finals:

1. If you only get NBC and not NBC-Sports and have no recording capability, try the live stream  at the link above at 7:00 PM EST, and then watch TV starting at 11:30 PM EST (or do the second live stream if that works for you).  If the first  live stream at 7:00 PM doesn't work out, optionally also watch NBC starting at 8:00 PM EST in case they cover some PGL qualifying even though it's not listed as part of the coverage.
  2. If you get both get NBC and NBC-Sports and have no recording capability, do what I listed above plus try flipping between NBC and NBC-Sports starting at 7:00 PM EST in case either one covers some qualifying that isn't listed.
  3. If you get both NBC and NBC-Sports and have recording capability, record everything you can on both channels starting 7:00 PM EST and then record at least through 2:00 AM EST Saturday (an extra hour in case PGS finals run long).  Expect the finals to have been recorded at 11:30 on NBC, and fast forward the earlier recordings to hunt for any qualifying they may have shown.

This is my best take on how to catch the coverage, but my feelings won't be hurt if someone else has better info and wants post it.  I'm going to try the live stream, but also will do #3 above with my Tivo box.

• Like 2

Live stream working for me, but I had to "verify", then choose my cable company (little dinky local company, appeared on the show all providers list" below all of the logos for the big companies), then register for Watch TV Anywhere, then reload stream, then choose "verify" again and use login created when registering for Watch TV Anywhere.  Just saw Ester's run.

What a disappointment, the NBC announcers are terrible! They don't explain much and really don't seem to be very knowledgeable about the PGS format.

Looks like they're doing a single run elimination to save time. Top qualifiers get to pick the fast course and looks like red is faster.

What's cool is the stands are packed!

Edited by bigwavedave

The single runs bugs me too. The course shouldn't decide who wins and it sure seems that way today.

Agreed on the "announcing". I'm guessing they are in a booth in Connecticut looking at the generic international feed in real time.

On a positive note they are broadcasting all the final runs.

Edited by bruincounselor
edit for clarity

Ledecka is amazing.

Single elimination is ridiculous. Red course is clearly faster except for the last four gates where the Blue course is straighter.

If you think the NBC announcers are awful you should have heard the idiocy during the live stream of the qualifying rounds - some Brit who I don't think had ever seen a snowboard.

Galmarini's board looks to have a much softer mid-section than any other's (or he's just hitting it way harder.)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

JJ was pissed with the course prep. 

True, one would expect perfection in course prep at any world class event, in fact there are pretty strict rules regarding such, but then , everyone raced on the same conditions─I'm assuming─Did the top (16?) qualifiers from each course go on to race in the other course and then eliminate based on combined times?

Too bad they shortened the whole format. It does make it less fair not having each racer go through each course, especially when one course seems so much faster for whatever reason.

9 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

I was just going to ask if anyone else saw that. The photo finish looked like the Kosir won and you hear him saying so when he saw the replay.

So I just looked at the photo and maybe Kosir's hand is higher than the sensor, but in the photo, he clearly is first.

Edited by bigwavedave