Note to New Members ×

How to watch 2018 Olympic Snowboarding

Jack M

On 2/24/2018 at 12:29 PM, bigwavedave said:

Normally, even with single elimination finals, the top 16 racers from each course get a second run in the other course. Top 16 combined times from qualifiers go on to finals. The top 8 get to pick the course they like for their pairing, giving them an earned (by being fast in qualifiers) advantage.

But, I didn't see the qualifiers...so don't know for sure how they did it. Trap and AJ likely didn't finish top 16 in their course to earn a second run.

You can watch all the races on the NBC app, I just rewatched most of the races all day today. My family thinks I am such a dork :eek:

I feel bad for Trapp, he was on red and the other racer on blue crossed all the way over into Trapp's line and Mike was forced out of the course. AJ was number 24 I believe if I recall. 

On 2/24/2018 at 9:46 AM, Wolf said:

For the qualifiers, they also just had one run.

That is not correct.  In the qualifier, every racer had one run on each course (red and blue) and their qualifying time was the combined time of those two runs (see the images below).  The racer with the fastest qualifying time got to choose which course they wanted in each final (1/8, 1/4, semi, small & big).

m-pgs-1q.thumb.jpg.b7e365467af36a41071a6675a90b7c87.jpg

m-pgs-2q.jpg

l-pgs-1q.jpg

pgs-s.jpg

m-pgs-3.jpg

m-pgs-4.jpg

l-pgs-2.jpg

l-pgs-3.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for posting that @noschoolrider. I found it hard to believe that there was only one qualifying run. Sometimes, if they're really short for time or if conditions suck, they will just do the qualifiers, no finals (at NorAm and World cup contests).  Seems somewhat common to end up with single run eliminations in finals. I've never seen them resetting between qualifiers and finals. There are no practice runs, just slipping the course.

So, top 16 men from each course got a second run and the top 8 women from each course got a second run (the rest go home). Can you imagine going all the way to the Olympics and getting just one run and you're out?

1 hour ago, Jack Michaud said:

Did they reset the course after qualifying?  The qualifying times don't seem to favor one course over the other, while in the final everyone knows red was faster.

Props to AJ Muss for the 4th fastest single qualifying run of the day.

They did not reset.  The majority of the faster qualifying times you see on the Blue course were from the racer's first run.  As more racers ran the courses it became apparent that the Red course was holding up better than the Blue course (the Blue course deteriorated faster - it looked like the snow was softer in some places on the Blue course).

AJ had a great first run (on the Red course) and if not for a mistake on his second run (on the Blue course) he probably would have been in the top 16.

32 minutes ago, bigwavedave said:

I've never seen them resetting between qualifiers and finals.

They did not reset between qualifiers and finals.  However, the only time they did any course maintenance was between the qualifiers and the finals - there was no ongoing course maintenance during the qualifiers or during the finals.