Note to New Members ×

(Another) Riding Advice Thread

AcousticBoarder

11 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

Heelside 'weight' still looks biased to the front heel

7 hours ago, AcousticBoarder said:

So right now I have a 6 degree can't front foot that is mostly toe lift with some inward cant. I felt like I wanted to try using a 3 degree instead, but didn't want to change too many variables at once. If I am thinking right then switching to the 3 might help to move the "weight" away from the heel and in turn help to even it out?

Apologies. What I meant was that your weight bias is toward the nose of the board, rather than centered/back. Very common tendency to come into the heelside turn front weighted, unless you aim to be rear weighted, in which case you'll probably come out centered.

Generally speaking, if you have too much toe lift at the front binding, the contact under that heel will be somewhat 'vague' on a heelside turn, almost like your heel is in a hole.

Try the three, but be aware that will effectively increase the forward lean of the front boot, and your stance may then feel quite a bit wider.  Also try both the three and six at zero cant.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lonbordin said:

see you fall further into those carves

LB and I rarely agree on anything....but we sorta agree on this.  That said,  are you more worried about falling over or about too much speed??   

You don't have to have more speed to accomplish going farther into and deeper into your carves your making now.....you just have to commit to getting the board even more on edge ("fall further into those carves") and riding it out...which will additionally accomplish (1) picking up more speed and (2) you will find that line/sweet spot between falling over and riding it out.............  

8 hours ago, AcousticBoarder said:

So right now I have a 6 degree can't front foot that is mostly toe lift with some inward cant. I felt like I wanted to try using a 3 degree instead, but didn't want to change too many variables at once. If I am thinking right then switching to the 3 might help to move the "weight" away from the heel and in turn help to even it out?

Yeah........a starting "norm" on Bomber TD's...and I use that term loosely.... is a 3 degree disk for toe lift on front foot and 6 degree disk for heel lift on back foot.   Try it - that setup  should get your weight over the nose of your board which will really help with initiating your turns. 

Looking smooth. If you are looking for the hardbooter equivalent of the sb tips your gf got, try reaching for your front boot cuff with your back hand on heel sides and your front hand on toeside. Another drill is to hold a ski pole with both hands and try to keep it level. 

I feel like lonbordin: your next step might be to carry more speed and drive the board a little more. Right now you are just riding the edge without putting a whole lot of input into the board. 

I probably should have prefaced the post with that I am trying to just focus on technique at the moment because I had some bad and unnecessary movements to provide input into the board. The relaxed riding thread really helped to outline how to go back to basics and do that so I was focusing on those steps.

Once I can nail down proper technique, then I will be exploring trying to get the board further on edge and driving it more. But to answer the question posed on falling, yeah I am a bit afraid of falling, especially a pop out of a mid carve fall on steep terrain, so getting to that line may take me a little longer but is something I plan to do. 

Also, just to note I am in UPZs which is why I have a 6 degree under the front foot currently due to their high ramp. 

3 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

Apologies. What I meant was that your weight bias is toward the nose of the board, rather than centered/back. Very common tendency to come into the heelside turn front weighted, unless you aim to be rear weighted, in which case you'll probably come out centered.

Generally speaking, if you have too much toe lift at the front binding, the contact under that heel will be somewhat 'vague' on a heelside turn, almost like your heel is in a hole.

Try the three, but be aware that will effectively increase the forward lean of the front boot, and your stance may then feel quite a bit wider.  Also try both the three and six at zero cant.

I did feel there was a slight heel hole or vagueness when using just my feet to transition, so I think I am going to take a try with the 3. I also looked and my "slight inward cant" is by about 10 degrees, but I will be sure to pay attention to it as well. 

I do see what you mean that more of my weight is on the front foot for heelside, so I will work on evening that out next too. 

Thanks! 

I didn't like 3-degree toe lift in UPZs. I felt like I was in sprinter's starting blocks. 6-degrees gets your front foot almost flat. 

I see something minor in your heelside turns; a rotational tension. Your shoulders/chest point the same direction as your feet, but your hips and knees point to the side like a softbooter. The tip I got for this was to "pee on the nose of the board". It took a bit of effort, but it let me relax a bit more as everything is in line. It's a work in progress for me, slipping back to that position on bad days. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daveo said:

What? 

UPZ boots have a 6+ degree internal slope. With a 3-degree binding toe lift, your heels are still higher than your toes. Works for some/most, I didn't like it. 

2 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

Hope you don't relax everything too much. 😉

Everything in moderation. 😉

1 hour ago, Corey said:

UPZ boots have a 6+ degree internal slope. With a 3-degree binding toe lift, your heels are still higher than your toes. Works for some/most, I didn't like it. 

Everything in moderation. 😉

Oh got ya. I was thinking totally wrong lol! 

3 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

Hope you don't relax everything too much. 😉

That's true or @Corey might be sh***ing on the tail of his board, also.

18 hours ago, AcousticBoarder said:

I did feel there was a slight heel hole or vagueness when using just my feet to transition, so I think I am going to take a try with the 3.

The change of 6 to 3 is pretty abrupt with the UPZs. The reduced rise will cause your knee to move further toward the edge which will force a more bent knee stance to maintain a similar balance posture and making it just that much harder to position your hips as @Corey is describing.

You can make a more nuanced change by increasing the forward lean on your UPZs via the Forward lean lever.

11 hours ago, Corey said:

"pee on the nose of the board"

That right there is golden. A simple way swing your hips around (and your pee stream) is to drop your back knee a little bit more. Try it next time you're out. Just make sure its not too windy

Edited by big mario
  • Like 1
  • LOL 3

Howdy,

Watched your vid,  Looks Good and you are on your way :biggthump

Wanted to share this Vid. of Sigi Riding, think it sums up proper technique, watch his Hands and Arms 

I know I mentioned here once how important I thought the hands are to conducting what we are doing...

someone came back with they ride with their Hands behind their Back and don't need anything other than feet to Carve...

Anyway...I think a few views of this can help you see the role arms and hands can play in your Carving...

21 hours ago, AcousticBoarder said:

I also looked and my "slight inward cant" is by about 10 degrees, but I will be sure to pay attention to it as well.

That's excessive if measured from the horizontal. Not so much if you're referencing binding index marks.

RE: 3 v 6:

If you don't want to fuss with/fix the forward lean on your front boot with the 3,  you can gradually bring your front heel up on the 6 by stacking layers of Gorilla tape under that heel, on the outside of the liner. This is also an option if the 3 degree disc feels 'wrong', and you want to be somewhere in between.

If you opt to swing your hips around, make sure you aren't also removing contact from your rear heel. Sometimes 'simple' moves add unexpected complexity in terms of other, seemingly minor adaptations.

Thanks for posting progress reports.

I'm not really someone to talk about setup but I recently had an eye opening experience.

I usually ride with the front flat and the back with heel lift. I got some new F2 bindings and had a HORRIBLE day on the heel. Nothing was working right. However, I did notice that when one-footing it I had to bend my knee way over to the right (regular footed). When I stood up straight the board would veer sharply to the left. 

I decided to do something silly and put the cant shims on the front foot (cant outward) and give it a shot. What a difference! The board does what I want! Super easy to cruise and way more responsive.

Moral - for me at least: @Beckmann AG is absolutely right. Make sure you can one foot comfortably without the board yawing left or right first. The rest is easy to figure out. Bring a screwdriver/wrench to the hill and make one change at a time. 

• 1 month later...

Got some more footage from yesterday!

Picked up a Coiler Angrry here and took it out for the first time today! (Thanks @rjnakata!!)

Spring conditions were in full force. It was not quite frozen solid in the morning, but it was close. More of a frozen granular corduroy. That only lasted about a run and a half though before it got soft, and then very soft by the 3rd run (the second half of the footage is there)

Overall I had a blast on this guy. I feel like the run in between these two was better, both in conditions and how well I was doing, but I don't have footage of that one unfortunately. 

I feel I am making progress in facing more forward, but I know I still have some ways to go. I felt like I was initiating more with my feet and lower body, but to me the footage seems to look more like a cross over with my upper body. 

• Like 1

Follow cam section shows pretty consistent slarving / wide track on heelside. Nose cam shows what your Right knee, the knee on the outside of your heelside turn is doing. Deliberately bringing my Right knee, on the outside of my heelside turn , towards the inside of the turn helped me solve that same slarving problem. 

Same effect could be produced by trying to make it feel like you've put your weight on the left hand side of both of your feet.

7 hours ago, AcousticBoarder said:

I feel I am making progress in facing more forward, but I know I still have some ways to go.

I wouldn't recommend forcing your upper body to face the nose of the board as much as you are.  Your stance will dictate the angle of your hips relative to the board.  From there you should hold your shoulders in line with your hips. 

Rotating counterclockwise in an effort to always face the nose of the board will rotate your hips out of position, in turn moving your knees, placing unwanted pressure/input on the board.

9 hours ago, workshop7 said:

I wouldn't recommend forcing your upper body to face the nose of the board as much as you are.  Your stance will dictate the angle of your hips relative to the board.  From there you should hold your shoulders in line with your hips. 

Rotating counterclockwise in an effort to always face the nose of the board will rotate your hips out of position, in turn moving your knees, placing unwanted pressure/input on the board.

I guess I really should say keeping a forward stance in being consistent on both heel and toe. Specifically in the follow cam footage I can see where I am still doing some counter rotation