Note to New Members ×

Learned two things today !!!

mr_roboteye

I'm old and I'm fat :) The mind is very willing but the flesh is weak LoL. Time to get back in shape, NOT the round kind :)

I was riding my trusty old Rossignol 184 world cup race.

Oh and Whistler was terrible today :)

20171231_101129.jpg

20171231_123104.jpg

20171231_123953.jpg

Edited by mr_roboteye
  • LOL 1

There are few places more beautiful than Whistler when the visibility is good, i.e. Mt. Garibaldi from Blackcomb Glacier, etc.  Few ski areas in North America can give you the incredible alpine experience that Whistler can.  I'll be there from Feb 20 - 24 but unless I become much more versatile on my carving equipment by then I may be spending most of my time on skis so I can go where my kids and grandkids go and be able to move around enough to help them out. To accompany and help some of my nine grandkids, ages 2 to 10, get up on those mountains to experience true alpine conditions with endless lifts, runs and lodges is really special. 

Everything about Whistler/Blackcomb is wonderful and very special IF the weather cooperates.

On 1/1/2018 at 3:58 PM, SunSurfer said:

More than anything, put a helmet on. Older brains don't tolerate head injuries nearly as well as younger brains.

Obviously, agreed.  No argument.  That said, your (Sunsurfer) avatar and most of the pictures that you post show a GoPro mounted prominently on your helmet.  

For sure,  GoPro designed the device to be used in this way, as evidenced by the mounting systems and the marketing material that accompany the product.  What I am much less certain of is whether the helmet makers have accounted for the concentrated force that would be generated by a small polycarbonate cube that is affixed to the helmet's surface.  I am no expert (and not an engineer) but the practice of mounting cameras on helmets would seem to potentially undermine their effectiveness.  Maybe even catastrophically.

Again, I agree with Sunsurfer.  Helmets are the world's cheapest insurance policies.  I wear one 95% of the time, or more.  The days that I don't wear a helmet, I should.  Once in awhile I ride a bike sans helmet, which is even less intelligent.  I hope this does not read like some snarky comment or the highjacking of a feelgood thread.  I just got to thinking about this and it seems like a subject that goes unmentioned.

2 hours ago, davekempmeister said:

I am no expert (and not an engineer) but the practice of mounting cameras on helmets would seem to potentially undermine their effectiveness.  Maybe even catastrophically.

It seems that such a camera (or its mount) played in role in Michael Schumacher's skiing accident, so you might be on to something.

Edited by Aracan

41 minutes ago, Aracan said:

It seems that such a camera (or its mount) played in role in Michael Schumacher's skiing accident, so you might be on to something.

I read about that as well... sounds risky! Is this maybe one of the reasons why I see many carve videos made by people holding a selfiestick instead of riding with a helmet mount?

That helmet has been retired, after a heavy fall that split the outer plastic shell, head was fine. Now running a full face with a chin camera mount, or a chest mount (MK demo video), or using a mount on top of my hand armour. I see Ryan Knapton is now riding with a helmet in his widely viewed videos.

I've not seen a definitive reliable analysis of what was the actual contribution of a helmet mounted camera in the Schumacher tragedy. Slamming his head into a rock under shallow snow at speed, with or without a helmet, would be quite sufficient to cause his catastrophic injury.

Loved the original post in this thread. I hope the Mr Roboteye enjoys as many more days carving as he might wish for.

Edited by SunSurfer

2 hours ago, Aracan said:

From the few photos I've seen of Schumacher skiing, the problem may well have been that he was out of his depth, and encountered a situation over which he had little control.

On 31/12/2017 at 2:27 PM, mr_roboteye said:

I'm old and I'm fat :) The mind is very willing but the flesh is weak LoL. Time to get back in shape, NOT the round kind :)

I was riding my trusty old Rossignol 184 world cup race.

Oh and Whistler was terrible today :)

20171231_101129.jpg

20171231_123104.jpg

20171231_123953.jpg

Hola Dave! I didn't see you for ages. 

Good for you getting out there... once in a while... You still didn't learn the 2 most important lessons: a shorter softer board and Cypress ;)