Note to New Members ×

How you guys feeling about new soft boot carving phenomenon?

slopetool

Preeeetty sure they're trying to get to the finish line first. If that means to skid a turn then of course they will. From my experience top racers are the top carvers skill wise. They can out freecarve us on any terrain and beat us all through the gates... 

• Like 1

The more time you have in expert terrain, the more you’ll know that “Edging” is not a light switch. 

The kind of skidding a pro racer is doing, or someone making less than purely carved turns in advanced terrain, at higher speeds, with relaxed and balanced posture is FAR from easy. 

“You’re either carving or skidding”, as a blanket statement, shows a singular lack of understanding. If you’re at this point in your snowboarding, you should realize that there’s a lot more to learn, rather than feeling like you’re at a point where you can contribute meaningfully to the conversation. 

Yes... that’s harsh tokes, but it does support the idea that anyone who offers advice beyond “the Norm” should be beyond “the Norm” themselves. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, daveo said:

Preeeetty sure they're trying to get to the finish line first. If that means to skid a turn then of course they will. From my experience top racers are the top carvers skill wise. They can out freecarve us on any terrain and beat us all through the gates... 

I couldn't AGREE more and I apologize if I implied otherwise.

1 hour ago, Rob Stevens said:

The more time you have in expert terrain, the more you’ll know that “Edging” is not a light switch. 

The kind of skidding a pro racer is doing, or someone making less than purely carved turns in advanced terrain, at higher speeds, with relaxed and balanced posture is FAR from easy. 

“You’re either carving or skidding”, as a blanket statement, shows a singular lack of understanding. If you’re at this point in your snowboarding, you should realize that there’s a lot more to learn, rather than feeling like you’re at a point where you can contribute meaningfully to the conversation. 

Yes... that’s harsh tokes, but it does support the idea that anyone who offers advice beyond “the Norm” should be beyond “the Norm” themselves. 

Believe me, I know I have a lot more to learn but that has never inhibited me from expressing myself even if it makes me look foolish to some (all).  I sincerely appreciate all of the comments and info from all of you as it helps me do constant values clarification whatever my endeavor at the time and on whichever website I am on, i.e. carving, rowing, smartphone use improvement, trying to be a decent husband, father, brother, grandfather, etc.  Most of what I learn comes from saying something stupid to my wife or one of my four adult daughters as they are much more ruthless than you guys.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, softbootsurfer said:

With all due respect to anyone that Races, It is not Carving... 50% of the time, the Edge is not engaged or touching the ground typically...

Wow. The Yenta Coefficient is extremely high with this one.  This has to be one of most ignorant things to ever grace this site. 

The sport is called "Snowboarding", not "Carving".  Racers are masters at edge control and can take this skill anywhere on the hill. Ice, steeps, hell even moguls.  While I can appreciate the many positive things that this site/company have brought to ALPINE snowboarding, on the flipside, this site has cultivated such an insane mentality where guys that carve intermediate runs are somehow convinced to think that it's the purest form of snowboarding. Newsflash old guys! It's one of the EASIEST skills to learn and to perfect. If steeps scare you and you can't carve them, well, no hard feelings.... you simply haven't honed the skills yet to do this and you are a one-trick, internet pony. 

Edited by SolRosenburg

I've never considered what I am trying to get good at as "snowboarding".  I've never wanted to learn to snowboard and because I spent only one day on rented softies after which I went straight to a hardboot setup I never really learned to snowboard and still have no interest in it.  My own personal hang-up with semantics.  I'm sure that's one of the reasons why I struggle with my quest to carve now but I am getting there and having a lot of fun doing it.  I hope I don't run out of B-days before I can become good enough so my skills and my quads allow me to make some turns with some of you in Aspen.  My own, personal, very narrow definitions when it comes to riding a board are "Freecarving", i.e. carving unencumbered by gates and determined by riding the edge back and forth across the hill with no skidding to scrub off speed,  "Racecarving", i.e. lots of awesome carving...quite a bit of skidding...of course PSGS racers can freecarve most of us under the table, and "snowboarding" which is what my kids do on their softies and they're damn good at it.  They are baffled as to why I am always trying to ride the edge.

I have had a couple of days of deep pow snowboarding using my Salomom SX-91 ski boots and a big fat board and that was a lot of fun but those opportunities are best realized by helicoptor.  Digging out after a fall was really a bitch, though.

Don't get me wrong.  I have nothing against traditional snowboarding.  I just have no interest in it.

Edited by 1xsculler
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 1xsculler said:

I have had a couple of days of deep pow snowboarding using my Salomom SX-91 ski boots and a big fat board and that was a lot of fun but those opportunities are best realized by helicoptor.  Digging out after a fall was really a bitch, though.

Whaaat? Helicopter didn't pull you out? Ask for your money back! ;)  :smashfrea

1 hour ago, Shred Gruumer said:

This is hillarious!  

So gnarly... (that's me describing their bending at the waist and reaching for the snow)...

It's a great insight of what VERY overqualified softbooters with a HUGE exposure to softboot equipment think of carving equipment...
Imagine what the "typical" snowboarder thinks....

Here's the Good Wood reviews-
https://thegoodride.com/snowboard-reviews/alloy-do-7x-2017-snowboard-review/
https://vimeo.com/198317576

https://thegoodride.com/snowboard-reviews/alloy-do-bc-2017-snowboard-review/
https://vimeo.com/198320292

and Alloy's website- http://www.alloysnow.com
image.png.df0a8ccc4684a9c893bb1c22f7d07d18.png

Edited by lonbordin
...boards for little people... ;-)

And the camber! Haha. Yes it is a good thing, but also hilarious. 

Different people have different goals here, no need to judge them and say their goal is wrong. Yes, people come here to ask questions and discuss carving/alpine/ whatever snowboarding, and yes, it is an open forum where anyone can reply and give advice. If you decide that advice is not for you that is fine, but no need for name calling or to throw feces at it just because their goal or idea of carving does not match yours, we have evolved past primates.  Doesn't matter if it is soft booting, hardbooting, EC, racing, pure boarding, if they just like to have fun doing it on one specific hero groom green run or all over the mountain switch in double black moguls, the half pipe, or in the backcountry.  

Healthy discussion is great and helps the sport and us individually grow. Difference of opinions can and should be respectfully and openly discussed, maybe we might learn something new. Sometimes the best teachers are those who just learned and had a breakthrough because it is fresh in their mind. If you cannot keep the discussion respectful and healthy though and must fall to the level of claiming yourself better and dragging others through the mud, you are no better than, in fact probably worse than, who/ what you are accusing. It is not helping anyone and has a greater chance of turning people away from the small niche sport we all love and have fun doing. 

Back to the subject matter, really waiting for the bindings to catch up now to the soft boot carving phenomenon. Would love to see some kind of fast entry binding that has some cant/lift adjustability designed for carving in mind! 

• Like 3

On 2/28/2018 at 10:01 AM, softbootsurfer said:

With all due respect to anyone that Races, It is not Carving... 50% of the time,

You are right on the mark here sbs.  I might debate your percentage (up or down, not sure) but your basic statement is correct.  I guess those so outraged by this (particularly the troll) want me to believe what they say and not my "lying eyes".    

And never mind this pisher mtb stuff coming out of that washed up alta kaka,  let's talk about the analogy i best relate too (where the riders are not afraid to call it what it IS).  Its a high percentage of SLIDING and if you need skills and courage to utilize it.  Perhaps in Alpine the consequences are not so great , but personally, I think doing a violent high side into protective netting with non-releasable bindings IS the domain of the brave.  

I think we can all agree that racer skivoting isn’t beginner skidding. 

For SBS, his jam is never skidding in any way. Of course that means you’ll want to stay reigned in on your terrain choices, but if it’s all about pencil lines at moderate speeds and pressures in soft boots then you’ll ride where that’s possible. 

I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn’t say “skidding” as a dis to call out riders who employ this tactic in race courses. I assume this, as he said I stick my “butt out” when I ride. When I barked about that, he said he meant it as a compliment. 

3 hours ago, sic t 2 said:

You are right on the mark here sbs.  I might debate your percentage (up or down, not sure) but your basic statement is correct.  I guess those so outraged by this (particularly the troll) want me to believe what they say and not my "lying eyes".    

And never mind this pisher mtb stuff coming out of that washed up alta kaka,  let's talk about the analogy i best relate too (where the riders are not afraid to call it what it IS).  Its a high percentage of SLIDING and if you need skills and courage to utilize it.  Perhaps in Alpine the consequences are not so great , but personally, I think doing a violent high side into protective netting with non-releasable bindings IS the domain of the brave.  

Your 'lying eyes' may not have noticed the rather significant difference between drifting a moto, and 'stivoting' a raceboard.

In principle, it makes good sense to drift a snowboard from time to time, but doing so with a rotational origin is not the best way to go about it. Particularly given the mass of a 'modern' race deck. 

Hey folks - FYI Endeavor has a few of the Hammerhead boards (reviewd earlier in this thread) left at their Vancouver office.

They are all out of the wrapper with the odd cosmetic mark.

I was talking to Chris Bishop at Endeavor and he said they could likely be had for somewhere around %40 off their $500 sticker price + shipping.

Reach out to him at the Endeavor FB page or at the info@ address from the company if you are interested!

23 hours ago, Shred Gruumer said:

This is hillarious!  

Sweet God almighty!  How can these guys give opinions on so many boards and yet be so completely shocked by the sensation of popping out of a turn?!?

Feel sorry for the folks who have ridden nothing but floppy rocker since it took over the market. :)

Glad they took it out for a spin and posted a review though!