Note to New Members ×

How you guys feeling about new soft boot carving phenomenon?

slopetool

1 hour ago, Rob Stevens said:

And I've got a flu, so what else am I going to do besides put myself up against Erik?

The flu, you say? That might explain some of the spoo coming off your keyboard. Maybe focus on the fluids and other remedies until you're back to normal?

2 hours ago, Rob Stevens said:

Just seems like the kind of thing you'd say. Call it an assumption based on experience.

Good to know. For a minute there you had me thinking I was someone else. From the assumptions and projection, one might conclude you think I’m someone I’m not.

3 hours ago, Rob Stevens said:

That you could presume, however, to place your opinion of "mechanics" above another experts (Mike in this case) actual experience is telling. I know I'm not going to say anything to sway you. No doubt, it comes from somewhere.

To save you the time, I’ll tell you that I’ve been working with mechanical systems for a long time. Sometimes those systems involve the human structure, sometimes the system is the human structure, and sometimes the system stands apart from the human structure.
That said, I’m reasonably qualified to make comment on subjects ‘mechanical’. Though I wouldn't call myself an expert.

As to the rest of your screed:

>If you’re trying to sway me in any direction, you’ll have to move away from the ‘expert this, respected that’ and toward something more substantive and empirical. Tell me why, mechanically, something will or will not work, and under what circumstances. 
If you don’t know, just say so, but relying on consensus won’t cut it. 

>I offered Wescott is an example of a visual difference, not a source of inspiration in and of himself. He and I cordially disagree on a few points, but still have respect for each other and our contributions to the sport. If you ever get the chance, he's a hoot to ride with.

>

If your template was objective, you'd see the efficiencies in what another expert does. You might still not have it please you, but that's beside the point.

Things are what they are, and nothing more. I see precious few 'experts' riding snowboards. I do, however, see a lot of people doing what trend and instruction dictate. I may not be 'pleased' by a cheetah running down a hare, but I do admire the efficiency and the physical elements that make it possible.
>

how can you say that the practice (or performance in this case) is inefficient? You'd have to know the individuals desired outcome to make that call. It seems like you have a different desired aesthetic which I'd say is no more or less ideal than what Mike is doing. Remember; Mike is a pro...

I’m deadly effective with an adjustable spanner, but I know it’s limitations, and when it’s not the best tool for the job. If Mike wants to work harder on his heelside as a reach-around to his stance limitations, that’s his prerogative. Don’t elevate his performance as some sort of paragon. That’s just nonsense.
Whether or not he’s a ‘pro’ is irrelevant. Pounding a square peg in a round hole outside of demonstration or dire need is poor craftsmanship, regardless of who’s doing the pounding.

As to the errant 'Perfect Practice' nonsense, it appears your grasp of how I may or may not conduct myself in the educational context is severely limited, and possibly affected by too many interactions with those who don't share your point of view.

Edited by Beckmann AG

I've been dedicated hardbooter for the last 15 years.     Last year I tried a few softboots board / boots / bindings.  So many choices.    This year I have a few softboots setup in the quiver and it's very impressive how well it carves and it's fun to ride.    Nothing will beat my .4 coiler on a quiet groomed morning,  but I'm definitely having fun on my soft setups and it's a lot more versatile.      I would say this year it'll be 50/50. 

I've seen a few people that I know who is slowly moving away from hardboots.   Not sure if it's a trend across all of us but it won't help hardboots sale. 

12 hours ago, barryj said:

Hey Jack  I'm old enough to say I also owned and rode a Burton Elite 150 back in the day...........functional for 1988, but you are correct, were horrible in general and especially "horrible, horrible" compared to today's tech..........and that's where the popularity of  "surf shapes" that the majority of major board manufactures like Jones, K2,  Rossi have been putting out the last couple of years trying to catch up with Moss and their designs and sales!.....and Moss has been at it since 1971 so they might know a thing or two about what there designing and it's capabilities. 

Really.............don't beat on it until you tried one................it's nimbleness, track ability, carve ability, pow ability, groomer ability will blow your mind!   Moss snowsticks are truly a renaissance board design that are easy to ride and a hell of a good time!

In 2010 we went to Jackson Hole.  I didn't own a softboot setup at the time so I got a "high performance" rental from a board shop (not the mountain rental shop).  The guy was very knowledgeable and recommended I try the new theory in freeride/powder boards, and set me up on a Burton Malolo, I think 160 (or 156??).  I hated having almost nothing behind my rear foot and such a short board in general.  I spent a morning on it and went back and exchanged it for a Supermodel 168.  Aaahhhhh.

So, I have no interest in these Elite shaped things. Frankly I suspect they're a fad, and just a way for some snowboard companies to catch people's attention by making something outrageous looking.  I experienced what to me was a serious drop in performance from the snub tail, so I can't fathom any benefit.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

56 minutes ago, scottishsurfer said:

Out of curiosity what are you guys running in terms of soft boot angles? I generally ride what i refer to as mild duck +27 -6, i have ridden +36 +12 also but ive never felt much if any advantage over my normal stance should i bring it round further to say +42 +21?

Two years ago I got a Winterstick SW164, which has a 26cm waist.  I tried to avoid boot-out by setting my angles at the maximum allowed by my bindings - 36/27.  I still booted out if I tried to carve deep.  So, I switched to 30/15 and forgot about deep carves.  I liked that a lot better for freeriding.  Now on a 27.5cm wide ST166, I can use these angles and carve and not boot out.  The flatter rear foot feels more powerful for everything.  However I tried 27/12 and didn't like it as much.  To each his own I guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scottishsurfer said:

Out of curiosity what are you guys running in terms of soft boot angles? I generally ride what i refer to as mild duck +27 -6, i have ridden +36 +12 also but ive never felt much if any advantage over my normal stance should i bring it round further to say +42 +21?

28/18 on my dedicated carver

13 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

>The flu, you say? That might explain some of the spoo coming off your keyboard. Maybe focus on the fluids and other remedies until you're back to normal?

That's not nice.

>Good to know. For a minute there you had me thinking I was someone else. From the assumptions and projection, one might conclude you think I’m someone I’m not.

You can claim to not be something, but your manner tells a different story. 

>To save you the time, I’ll tell you that I’ve been working with mechanical systems for a long time. Sometimes those systems involve the human structure, sometimes the system is the human structure, and sometimes the system stands apart from the human structure.
>That said, I’m reasonably qualified to make comment on subjects ‘mechanical’. Though I wouldn't call myself an expert.

You would'nt? I think you do. I think you have that on your business card.

>As to the rest of your screed:

>If you’re trying to sway me in any direction, you’ll have to move away from the ‘expert this, respected that’ and toward something more substantive and empirical. Tell me why, mechanically, something will or will not work, and under what circumstances. 
If you don’t know, just say so, but relying on consensus won’t cut it. 

I thought I did, but I'll say it another way. When I tried it, it felt great. Very planted, but still a mobile position. There was an element of circle jerk consensus to it in that we all commented about how rad we all were. Do I ride like this all the time? Nope, but when I feel like it, I do. I'm adaptable and willing to try new things! Interestingly, you haven't offered another way. I suspect I probably know the other options, though and enjoy them when I choose. I'm an expert!

>I offered Wescott is an example of a visual difference, not a source of inspiration in and of himself. He and I cordially disagree on a few points, but still have respect for each other and our contributions to the sport. If you ever get the chance, he's a hoot to ride with.

I thought we were moving away from "respect this, and contributions to the sport that"?

>Things are what they are, and nothing more. I see precious few 'experts' riding snowboards. I do, however, see a lot of people doing what trend and instruction dictate. I may not be 'pleased' by a cheetah running down a hare, but I do admire the efficiency and the physical elements that make it possible.

If you're not an expert, how would you know what one looks like? That's right. You are an expert. Says so on your business card. That said, you don't know much about why we choose to do what we do, like we do it. 

>I'm deadly effective with an adjustable spanner, but I know it’s limitations, and when it’s not the best tool for the job. If Mike wants to work harder on his heelside as a reach-around to his stance limitations, that’s his prerogative. Don’t elevate his performance as some sort of paragon. That’s just nonsense.
Whether or not he’s a ‘pro’ is irrelevant. Pounding a square peg in a round hole outside of demonstration or dire need is poor craftsmanship, regardless of who’s doing the pounding.

This pops up all the time on here... It's not the "best tool for the job". FFS Erik! That's the whole reason I pimped this video in the first place. Mike's carving the shit out of an adjustable spanner. Around here, you probably head out on the mountain with a tool that will work in as many different places as possible. No... It's not going to win any WC GS's anytime soon, but a bunch of us experts agree that if we can carve in that manner, while also being able to do all the other free-ridey stuff, we're stoked.

>As to the errant 'Perfect Practice' nonsense, it appears your grasp of how I may or may not conduct myself in the educational context is severely limited, and possibly affected by too many interactions with those who don't share your point of view.

I've had a fair bit of virtual experience with how you conduct yourself when you're "educating". I'll stand by my words.

•  

Jack..............well there's your problem!  Burton!!  They still running the same ol, same ol!...and the only innovative product they have put out this decade are the Burton "Step On's"

They are behind again as usual!.....don't have any product in the "surf style" shape 

The good old butt in the air toeside. Yea..needs some work. 

Beckman---"Don’t hand me a horse apple and try to convince me it’s a Honeycrisp."  Ha ha.

I haven't seen Jack ride his SB board and I don't have to.  I know his style is much better than the butt out riders. No offense.

I remember seeing Beckman training Terry and Nilliard at the Loaf who later joined the Palmer Boardercross Team--all on their Burton Stats.  Tim Sim railing Spillway and Lifline back in '93--another product of Beckman's. Where were you?  Kudos to Beckman and his worthy knowledge that he shares to all here.  Be grateful it's longtime knowledge and not opinion.

29 minutes ago, Ripturns said:

The good old butt in the air toeside. Yea..needs some work. 

Beckman---"Don’t hand me a horse apple and try to convince me it’s a Honeycrisp."  Ha ha.

I haven't seen Jack ride his SB board and I don't have to.  I know his style is much better than the butt out riders. No offense.

I remember seeing Beckman training Terry and Nilliard at the Loaf who later joined the Palmer Boardercross Team--all on their Burton Stats.  Tim Sim railing Spillway and Lifline back in '93--another product of Beckman's. Where were you?  Kudos to Beckman and his worthy knowledge that he shares to all here.  Be grateful it's longtime knowledge and not opinion.

You sound like you've been around for awhile, so I won't question your eye for riding, but I'd say there's a few things separating Mike's turns and the "good old butt in the air toe-side". I talked about it earlier, so if you want, you can go back and check it out. 

I haven't seen Jack ride, either, but "better style" is up to you. That said, it's up to me, too. That's the beauty of style and subjectivity. 

Do you mean where was I in 93? I won't assume you care to know, but if you want to know, then I guess I could tell you. 

Here is JG riding a crappy board free ride with no tune and worthless bindings to boot.  I could say his style sucks based on my opinion.  I value my opinion and that's my right.  But then I would be like my adversarial, Attorney ex wife where as at night time I would say it's dark and she would argue with me that it wasn't.   Yet if one looked out the window, it was dark.  I do believe that beauty and style is in the eye of the beholder...but only to a degree.  A diamond for instance..most of us would look at one and say it's beautiful.  A true expert most likely would say it has flaws. 

9 hours ago, barryj said:

Hey ScottySurfer   With my Bomber Power Plates I am going to try a 55/50 setup with the Burton Step On's............ we will see as to it's  feasibility and to what end results

Itll be intersting to here what you think of the stepins my biggest concern is generally how supportive will the boot and binding be in terms of side to side movement and just how rapidly will the boot break down and lose support

21 hours ago, Rob Stevens said:
  23 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

Rob, you're in plain text

I"m in italics, and [ ] on this one, so next round maybe use underline?

[>The flu, you say? That might explain some of the spoo coming off your keyboard. Maybe focus on the fluids and other remedies until you're back to normal?]

That's not nice.

Right, suggesting you take a break and tend to your health was a mistake. Noted.

[>Good to know. For a minute there you had me thinking I was someone else. From the assumptions and projection, one might conclude you think I’m someone I’m not.]

You can claim to not be something, but your manner tells a different story. 

Let me guess, my manner speaks in iambic pentameter?

[>To save you the time, I’ll tell you that I’ve been working with mechanical systems for a long time. Sometimes those systems involve the human structure, sometimes the system is the human structure, and sometimes the system stands apart from the human structure.
>That said, I’m reasonably qualified to make comment on subjects ‘mechanical’. Though I wouldn't call myself an expert.]

You would'nt? I think you do. I think you have that on your business card.

Found one of my ‘mechanical services’ business cards in the toolbox. Surprise, no mention of expertise. You might have one of my old telemark tip cards, but that was just a list of things to keep in mind. Sort of doubt that would claim expertise either. Maybe you could provide a screen shot, in the event I’m mistaken?

[>As to the rest of your screed:]

[>If you’re trying to sway me in any direction, you’ll have to move away from the ‘expert this, respected that’ and toward something more substantive and empirical. Tell me why, mechanically, something will or will not work, and under what circumstances. 
If you don’t know, just say so, but relying on consensus won’t cut it. ]

I thought I did, but I'll say it another way. When I tried it, it felt great. Very planted, but still a mobile position. There was an element of circle jerk consensus to it in that we all commented about how rad we all were. Do I ride like this all the time? Nope, but when I feel like it, I do. I'm adaptable and willing to try new things! Interestingly, you haven't offered another way. I suspect I probably know the other options, though and enjoy them when I choose. I'm an expert!

So you prefer to ride in a manner that’s awkward and inefficient. Fine, more power to you. Throughout this exchange you’ve supported your admiration for that particular mode, but haven’t said much that would convince anyone that it was mechanically sound, other than saying, in effect, ‘we like it, so there’.

If someone ‘knows’ how they want to ride, and has no complaints, it’s not my place to offer substitutes. However, I seem to recall something you said regarding personal comfort and foot splay, so if you want to ride better in the 'all mountain' context, properly support your feet, and see if that allows you to ride with a more favorable splay angle. This should work for boards with or without bindings.

[>I offered Wescott is an example of a visual difference, not a source of inspiration in and of himself. He and I cordially disagree on a few points, but still have respect for each other and our contributions to the sport. If you ever get the chance, he's a hoot to ride with.]

I thought we were moving away from "respect this, and contributions to the sport that"?

Might have escaped your 'raptor's gaze', but I’m not using an association with Seth to validate any of my claims.

[>Things are what they are, and nothing more. I see precious few 'experts' riding snowboards. I do, however, see a lot of people doing what trend and instruction dictate. I may not be 'pleased' by a cheetah running down a hare, but I do admire the efficiency and the physical elements that make it possible.]

If you're not an expert, how would you know what one looks like? That's right. You are an expert. Says so on your business card. That said, you don't know much about why we choose to do what we do, like we do it. 

A child could tell you that the aforementioned cheetah is better suited to running than the wildebeest. Expertise? Hardly. The former moves with elegance, the latter is somewhat, I dunno, ‘awkward’ by comparison?
Similarly, it doesn’t take an expert to recognize a particular awkwardness in the riding you so cherish.
I covered the business card thing earlier; and your motivation doesn’t really matter.You know, because it's subjective?

I know as much as you’ve chosen to present, and so far, it appears you ride that way because it fits your worldview, and the physical balance of effort and outcome that appeals to you. I will maintain, however that if you have to twist yourself into funky postures to get the board to behave, on account of a stance angle choice, that’s kinda sub-optimal.

[>I'm deadly effective with an adjustable spanner, but I know it’s limitations, and when it’s not the best tool for the job. If Mike wants to work harder on his heelside as a reach-around to his stance limitations, that’s his prerogative. Don’t elevate his performance as some sort of paragon. That’s just nonsense.
Whether or not he’s a ‘pro’ is irrelevant. Pounding a square peg in a round hole outside of demonstration or dire need is poor craftsmanship, regardless of who’s doing the pounding.]

This pops up all the time on here... It's not the "best tool for the job". FFS Erik! That's the whole reason I pimped this video in the first place. Mike's carving the shit out of an adjustable spanner. Around here, you probably head out on the mountain with a tool that will work in as many different places as possible. No... It's not going to win any WC GS's anytime soon, but a bunch of us experts agree that if we can carve in that manner, while also being able to do all the other free-ridey stuff, we're stoked.

The point, I think, is that nobody (assuming witnesses) would crow to an audience of mechanics about my getting the job done with the wrong wrench. 
You 'pimped' the vid to evoke a predictable response, to which you could offer a contrary point of view. That vid having become a part of this thread, you’ve simply chosen to agitate the manure tea.
Regarding platform utility, I’ve a nice set of skis that work almost everywhere on the mountain, in just about all conditions. Granted, the bindings are mounted properly, but that probably hasn't much to do with it.

[>As to the errant 'Perfect Practice' nonsense, it appears your grasp of how I may or may not conduct myself in the educational context is severely limited, and possibly affected by too many interactions with those who don't share your point of view.]

I've had a fair bit of virtual experience with how you conduct yourself when you're "educating". I'll stand by my words.

Given the amount of imagination, assumption, and projection you’ve brought to bear, your VR portal must be a first-gen Viewmaster.  

•  

Edited by Beckmann AG

12 hours ago, barryj said:

Jack..............well there's your problem!  Burton!!  They still running the same ol, same ol!...and the only innovative product they have put out this decade are the Burton "Step On's"

Not really, it's pretty much a reissue of their old step-in softy binding... 

On 27/12/2017 at 6:22 PM, barryj said:

Hey Jack  I'm old enough to say I also owned and rode a Burton Elite 150 back in the day...........functional for 1988, but you are correct, were horrible in general and especially "horrible, horrible" compared to today's tech..........and that's where the popularity of  "surf shapes" that the majority of major board manufactures like Jones, K2,  Rossi have been putting out the last couple of years trying to catch up with Moss and their designs and sales!.....and Moss has been at it since 1971 so they might know a thing or two about what there designing and it's capabilities. 

Really.............don't beat on it until you tried one................it's nimbleness, track ability, carve ability, pow ability, groomer ability will blow your mind!   Moss snowsticks are truly a renaissance board design that are easy to ride and a hell of a good time!

There are few of those at Cypress. They seem to handle the pow well and carve well... 

On 12/20/2017 at 12:24 AM, piusthedrcarve said:

I noticed Japan and Korea already have specific decks for softboot carving from alpine snowboard manufacturers like Moss, BC Extreme, Ogasaka, and etc.

They call it 'Hammer' deck, which we witness hammerhead shape of the nose to maximize the effective edge length.  Rocker outside of feet and Camber underfeet. Although most of all mountain boards has that same configuration (rocker-camber-rocker), those decks have carbon, titanial, or/and kevlar on their woodcore to make them more carving specific.  One interesting construction from those decks is shown below.

5a39f084b4436_ScreenShot2017-12-20at12_04_32AM.thumb.png.302fd841bc1d92d610b3c2f33b3933a2.png

The 4 yellow parts are carbon beams.  The 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX' is kevlar.  In the center they used laminated titanial sheet.

The construction makes sense to me but I'm not a board builder so the effectiveness is unknown.  Only way would be testing them.   Luckily, I will have a chance to ride one before January and will report here. But just looking at it, it will have quiet different characteristics than titanial or carbon BX boards that we are familiar with.  Any thought on the above construction? Sean, Bruce, or ShredGrummer??

Oh. one  more thing. SCR is much shorter than WC BX boards, like 8-11.

Although this tread is very entertaining, I don't really care which style is good or bad for others' eyes. 

So as promised to jtslalom, here I tested the above board today.  To be fair, I rode 3 boards to compare.

• Rider:  185 lbs, 6'1", +20 yrs riding
  • Boots:  Burton Ion sz 11
  • Bindings: Burton Cartel
  • Stance angle: 27 front, 12 back
  • Condition:  6-12'F, chalk snow but chopped up (rode from 2 to 9 pm)
  • Boards:  '13 Rossignol One Mag 161W, '14 F2 Eliminator Carbon 166W, the above board

I chose the above 2 boards because the Rossignol One Mag has gotten good reviews (from normal softbooters) for its all mountain & carving ability with capable of good ground tricks.  As we all know, F2 Eliminator is one fine BX board that can carve like alpine boards.  I had few F2 eliminators (WC and regular) and ridden with hardboots and softboots.  My setup is not super stiff like Driver X or Malamute boots or Diode/C02/FR2, etc. because I wanted my dream softboot carving deck to  do some ground tricks too, like butter, willie, ollie, nollie, reverse carving, etc.

1. Rossignol One Mag -  CRAP.   Who the hell did come up with the Magnatraction? Lib-Tech?  That shit doesn't work. Period.   It may seemed work for normal softbooters but not for us. That crap is for someone who doesn't know how to press edges.  Also, effective edges are so ineffective for real carving. It seems like I was on my daughter's Burton Chicklet 120.  As a 'normal' snowboard, it was easy to do ground tricks, especially switch, butter.  But that's about it.  Nothing to review.

2. F2 Eliminator Carbon - My last Eliminator was 09-10 WC, which had titanal. It surely cut most of bumps and chopped, like most metal alpine decks do.  Very versatile but damp.  I particularly wanted this 14-15 model since it is semi-hammerhead shape and has carbon laminate to bring back some liveness and versatile (go everywhere). As expected, it was a blast.  it carved well and had more pop than titanal version.  I felt that it was lighter than WC but still burly due to its size and width.  12-13m SCR with 166W was somewhat demanding. I had to drive it to bend to find carve line but once it got bent, it really carved like alpine decks. Loved the wide version to allow angulate more.  No surprise. Very reliable softboot carving board.

Lastly, the above construction board.  It is Endeavor Hammerhead 157, specially manufactured for Korean softboot carving market only.  What Endeavor claimed in construction are:  Seamless Sidewall, Carbon beams, Titanal Metal laminate, Kevlar strength. 7500 Sintered base.

Spec:

• Length: 157 cm
  • Effective edge:  1326 mm
  • Waist:  246 mm
  • SCR:  9.4/8.8/10

Heavily decamabered on nose and tail (as close as Black Pearl).  It is camber board but didn't have much.  Flex was soft, as soft as Rossi One Mag.  I rode an hour on green and blue trails. I had some doubts and not much expectation until I was on lift.   

First it was light...I mean VERY.  Maybe due to its size and/or I rode it right after riding the Eliminator but it is really light. probably lighter than Rossi.  That also gave me more doubt that it can hold edges.  As soon as I put it on edge, this thing sliced like a hot butter knife. Turn initiation was very quick due to heavily decambered nose.  Base was as fast as Eliminator,  I rode it from 8-9 pm so the condition (chalk snow) was chopped but still hold edges nicely.  After worm up and got confident that this board can tolerate, I pushed hard and it turned like Madd 158, not as much as pop like Madd but turned tighter. I angulated as much as I could on toeside turn and my elbow was touching the snow. (I don't ride ass up but more crouching).  The toe edge was intact on snow and held the edge without any chatter or wobbles. Heelside turn was somewhat limited due to the stance angles.  Without higher angle, I wasn't able to angulate as much as toeside turn. (I usually get bruise on upper left thigh when I am done with riding on alpine boards). So, next run, I just wanted to see what if I do.  I digged heel edge and tipped it as far as I could. Then, the it carved tight and finished the turn already and lost grip on tail. Tried again and same thing happened. I quickly shifted my weight to tail and then was able to hold but completed/finished the turn already so couldn't link next turn.  Another amazing thing was it didn't give me any chatter nor wobble, like titanal boards.  The construction, it has titanal (partially) but not throughout like alpine titnal board. Whatever they did to the board, it worked.   Oh.. butter-ability was awesome too. When I overturned it, I could do just reverse nose roll (it's nose width is much narrower than Rossi so couldn't stay long buttering though) and sprang right back to ride again.  Switch on ground was easy on speed too. I think I found 'my' ultimate softboot carving board that can do almost everything on the ground. I just need to test it on hard icy condition.  Even though I am very impressed and satisfied, I still have a doubt that it will perform like today on the hard icy condition.  Since this board was my friend's in Ohio, it will take a while to test it on such condition. 

But, If it does, this will be my ultimate softboot board. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3