Note to New Members ×

Board Leash Poll

barryj

Do You Use a Board Leash Yes/No?   

81 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Use a Board Leash Riding Your Hardboot Setup?

• Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, Keenan said:

I keep the cables and handles under the pants.  You can still release the bindings, and it seems to confuse people more when they can't see how you do it.  

Yes, I have no trouble grabbing the T-handle through the pants fabric. Of course if you are one of these guys maybe not. 

• Like 1

I remember a cat trip were a friend got out, put his board down, turned around to say something, turned back around and saw his board sliding away...never to be seen again

would I have a leash with plates? yep with my sb I never liked it and finally convinced the ski co here to drop it...I have tried to tear my binding off a couple of times with some incredible crashes...no luck so far :biggthump

When i carry my board on slopes or on off piste, i always make link around of baord wit leash, that will slow down or stop it going away.

I have had one accident with board getting loose, was driving steep slope 2/3rds before hitting last third with 37 degrees end portion, fell down due hitting small icy spot, stupid me. For unknown reason both intecs opened and i fell down, was sliding on my back that 37 degrees slope down and seeing my board with plate coming down with increasing speed. I tried to slide and stop board but no luck. Leash opened due poor lock and luckily my board hit wall of small cabin at end of slope and just broke and killed totally nose on my loved Coiler. Since that i have updated lock i use with leash, and still ride always with leash.

This is my setup. What A PITA! gotta bend over, grab the snap, and go click. Shorty, light, stays out of the way.

Personally I think riding without a leash is stupid, and illegal. If you non believers had seen Todd's board screaming down the hill like a rocket at Aspen, you would wear one. Or the look on Paul's face as everybody at the Bomber tent pointed and laughed as he rode the lift by without his board. It can happen to anybody. Both these guys are experienced, kick ass carvers, and it happened to them. Luckily, no injuries, but recovering Todd's board was quite an ordeal.

If I'm gonna have 2K under my feet, It's gonna be tied to me.

Bend over, go click. It's not that hard. The life you save might be a little kid.

leash resized.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Once on Mt. Hood I forgot to fasten the leash to my boot after unloading from the lift at the top of Magic Mile (it was summer, so you had to carry your board off the lift to get to snow), and I thoughtlessly unsnapped the front binding.  Just like that the board slid out of my reach.  I watched in horror as it raced down past the lift, past the porta-potties, and into a canyon, where it launched off a cliff, and went end-over-end into the volcanic rocks.  It took me 15 sweaty, leg-burning minutes to hike down, recover the board, and hike back up.  Both my ego and the board still bear the scars.  

I'm with Bobby Buggs on this......rethinking - especially after having a brain fart on the chair at Boreal and absentmindedly jettisoned my board trying to adjust the release handle of my Fintec's through my pants!  (I now have had slits/slots? sewn into my ski pants for the handle to poke through....and no, it's has never gotten caught on anything and released.....even when Eurocarving)   

Thank God my board landed upside down and didn't kill anybody and in the pow so the board was unscathed.......only my ego was hurt when the Liftie looked on in amazement as I walked off the chair and nonchalantly started walking back down the lift line and then had to swim through waist deep pow for 30-40ft  .....which took me 20 exhausting minutes....ugh!

A Leash would have avoided all that...................  

• LOL 1

Not really sure what it's supposed to do and if it actually does the supposed function.

It's supposed to

• give you something to hold on to while setting down the board
  • keep your board connected to you before you have successfully stepped into your bindings or closed the bails
  • thereby preventing accidents caused by runaway boards

Which, in my not at all humble opinion, it does. Additionally, it can function as a handle or strap for carrying the board (depending on the type of leash), prevent loss of your board if something stupid happens on the chair, etc.

• Like 1

In Italy is mandatory and we also have been checked by ski patrol lots of time.

I always use it for safety reasons, first for not letting the board go around, second if my front binding drop me off my back leg will be in serious danger.

I use a very short leash screwed on the board. It's no sense to fix it to the bail because one of the problems could be the bail itself.

• Like 2