Note to New Members ×

Never wax again?

tpalka

• 1 month later...

Very interesting. I was under the impression that UHMWPE is non-porous and that the 'absorption' or 'penetration' of wax or other substances into the base is a myth regardless of the application of heat. Instead, frequent base grinds are far more important with appropriate structure tailored to snow conditions.

The claim that Phantom is a "sophisticated, timed polymerization process permanently penetrates the entire thickness of the base material with powerful go-fast fluoro compositions"... so that it actually modifies the composition of the base to introduce flurocarbons.... sounds questionable at best. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that this method is more about introducing a self-leveling light-activated resin (via photopolymerization) that has a low friction coefficient and high durability (they mention that Phantom increases shore hardness). So in effect a hard coating of resin on top of your base that is polished by the snow and hard and thick enough to withstand several base grinds. 

Either way, sounds great that someone is finally tackling on reducing the use of wax and its overuse in recreational winter sports.

I think Michael A might be spot on, and with the ability to create some of the composite plastics and polymers today, it makes sense that someone would create a coating that simply has a significantly low coefficient of friction with ice and snow. I always wondered about the use of ptex and wax, but never had any ideas of my own for improvement..

Anyone in here tried it or have an old board and willing to try it?

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, Mig said:

Soooo.... did anyone try this?

So I have five days of riding on my Maverick Cheater 200 with the DPS Phantom base treatment and here are a couple thoughts:

1. Application is truly around a 7 hour process, so be prepared to follow the directions and spend some time.

2. They are not kidding that it takes a couple runs to work in...board would not glide well until after the 3rd or 4th run.

3. It works well on cold snow, but I am not sure that it works better than if I had waxed the board with a correct temperature wax.

4. After 5 days of groomed snow riding without re-waxing, like I would normally do, base still looks good and glide is smooth.

My initial thoughts are that this will be a great application to work with good waxing. I say this based on other comments that are on the Phantom FAQs about how the application can be used with wax. I think that for someone who travels a lot for riding and may not have the space available to bring their own waxing gear or might not want to pay a shop to wax their boards that the application is a good thing.

I also think that I will need to put a lot more days on the board that has the application on it to see how it works after say 30-40 days of riding.

cheers,

sandy

Edited by svr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, michael.a said:

Sandy, could you just quickly outline the application process? Is it indeed a light activated 2-part resin? And is a sunny day a requirement for it to set? 

Yes, something in the compound requires direct sunlight...the good news is that you can do part one in three hours and then wait a day to do part 2 if you run out of sunlight before you can get the second application applied.

DPS has done a good job of updating their website with clearer procedures, but the overall process is pretty simple, it is just the curing time that takes forever. (3 hours for each application).

I had what I considered a lot of liquid remaining on the second application but was assured that it is normal to have some liquid/wet base area remaining that you can just wipe off with a towel.

After the first application (part 1), I had no wet areas on the base at all as the board seemed to absorb most of the initial application after the 3 hour cure time.

Edited by svr

• 1 year later...

Any updates from those of you who bit the bullet and tried this stuff? I just bought the wife a board, and think now would be great time to hae evo apply the 2.0 version. Evo has skiers who love it, and most reviews online are all skiers. Any info would be great.