Note to New Members ×

Short season blues

lafcadio

In a word: depressing.

My season can probably best be summarized as follows: In January, I was still on the rock board and by February, I was back on the rock board.

Still it wasn't all bad.  We actually had two whole weeks (IN A ROW!) of good snow.  I have that to be thankful for.

I kind of wish I could be put into a deep sleep and wake up some time in the future where Trump will be gone and the next global cooling cycle will be kicking in.  Maybe the next ice age?  I hope someone keeps my gear ready for me when I wake up. 

How are the rest you dealing with sorter seasons, less snow, and less carving? 

• Like 1

I've been out 3 days now on various longboard skates. I found the local parking garage was Swept a bit (lower two tiers) allowing some slalom-ish turns. Puddles abound. I used my mountain bike to get to Arrowhead (375' Vert hike to the top) and ran the old Sims 1711 Blade (new-ish  Nidecker highbacks in the ol' Grell bindings! Worked pretty well) through the slush. Global Warming, it's a myth of DisInformation from the Left... Tell it to my thermometer, Trump! The proof is in the mud...

11 hours ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

I've been out 3 days now on various longboard skates. I found the local parking garage was Swept a bit (lower two tiers) allowing some slalom-ish turns.

Eric, where do you skate?  I got into longboarding a few seasons back for something to do in the off season.  I don't care for bombing hills, but I do like carving and pumping and going for longer skates on bike paths and rail trails (e.g., Nashua River Trail) in the 12-20 mile range.  Great workout! 

6 hours ago, lafcadio said:

Eric, where do you skate?  I got into longboarding a few seasons back for something to do in the off season.  I don't care for bombing hills, but I do like carving and pumping and going for longer skates on bike paths and rail trails (e.g., Nashua River Trail) in the 12-20 mile range.  Great workout! 

Here in Claremont, there's maybe 4-5 usable hills, and only two spots (both are cemeteries) I can set-up cones. Over the River, there's a decent bike path on the old railway in Springfield, Vt. That township also has some decent bombing hills, some even sporting new tar (that happens every, what, 2 to 3 decades)! 

Best tool for exploration is the DeLorme state Gazetteer maps. Their Topography is quite accurate, and the include many 'back roads', allowing one to find low-traffic gems like the condo runs around Mt. Snow, for example.

Hi

I don't think that the previous Carver Skateboard video that I posted did a good job of explaining how I use these skates during the winter when things warm up and start to melt in January!  Carver wheel base lengths are very similar to SCR's on a snowboard.  Using a shorter (15 1/2" WB) wheel base makes it possible to continuously ride in a VERY small area without EVER having to push.  I don't look for a hill or have to wait for a long pumping path to be clean and dry, 2 minutes with a leaf blower in my driveway, add an iPod and 45 minutes of continuous riding goes by really fast and is great for the legs.  Just another cool board for the quiver:)

Cheers

Rob

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RCrobar said:

Carver wheel base lengths are very similar to SCR's on a snowboard.  Using a shorter (15 1/2" WB) wheel base makes it possible to continuously ride in a VERY small area without EVER having to push.  I don't look for a hill or have to wait for a long pumping path to be clean and dry, 2 minutes with a leaf blower in my driveway, add an iPod and 45 minutes of continuous riding goes by really fast and is great for the legs.  Just another cool board for the quiver:)

Love it!  I recently (4 year ago) got into skate boarding and my first board was a Carver. I still love it for many of the reasons you site.  Good to go without needing much space.   For longer skates and more of a carving feel I prefer a longer deck.  I love carving turns on my Loaded Vanguard but that requires a bit more space.

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 7:08 AM, lafcadio said:

14" inches in the last 24 and more on the way.... you're on the wrong coast my friend. Make the North West your home and winter is half the year.

ps. I was born and raised Connecticut....  Powder Ridge, Haystack, Loon.....

Now its Schweitzer, Whitefish, and Canada with feet of snow abound.

On 2/25/2017 at 8:08 AM, lafcadio said:

In a word: depressing.

My season can probably best be summarized as follows: In January, I was still on the rock board and by February, I was back on the rock board.

Still it wasn't all bad.  We actually had two whole weeks (IN A ROW!) of good snow.  I have that to be thankful for.

I kind of wish I could be put into a deep sleep and wake up some time in the future where Trump will be gone and the next global cooling cycle will be kicking in.  Maybe the next ice age?  I hope someone keeps my gear ready for me when I wake up. 

Very sorry to hear that.

I live in Idaho and we are having one heck of a year. The carving on Saturday was bluebird, cold and epic. Not to run it in but maybe a trip to the west?

Not only that, if you get here I will host you. We do couchsurfing.org anyway so it's not a big deal. It's all time right now and will be until the end of April or May. 

Edited by carvedog
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, carvedog said:

I live in Idaho and we are having one heck of a year. The carving on Saturday was bluebird, cold and epic. Not to run it in but maybe a trip to the west?

Not only that, if you get here I will host you. We do couchsurfing.org anyway so it's not a big deal. It's all time right now and will be until the end of April or May. 

Thank you, sir!   Actually, my wonderful wife has family in Utah and we're planning a visit in April.  Can't wait!  

Oddly, while all the snowbanks in the area evaporated (and I went Longboarding;Sk8board longboarding, not Tanker riding!), the little nearby sled hill of Arrowhead held onto a good chunk of it's single-fan-snowgun leaning park, and inner-tube runs (which are a riot to carve on down the banks of!), so, I'm being optimistic, but asking you look at night-time temps and snowmaking (and in Cannon's case, whether the damn Groomers actually help!). You may yet find some late-winter riding, by looking carefully; Or, go to OKEMO...