Note to New Members ×

Short season blues

lafcadio

Still working on developing competency with my little people. My local bump is blowing snow for the duration of our cold spell and bolstering up our four remaining pathways down. Unheard of for march.

I have been thinking that it is time that I start repping for Nardoz. Maybe they can develop a product called notsnow.

• Like 1

A few VT/NH areas reported that 'the guns were on again', which is good, as, while we warmed up a lot, the frost-layer is still present, snow man-made laid down now will likely hold awhile, and bare-spots need not grow much. I do hate the mini-skating-rink puddles, now that I walk/bike in town! Maybe the Cannondale needs studs..

On 3/2/2017 at 2:11 PM, General Tsao said:

Let us know how Bretton is holding up.  I had my last rental weekend up there last....but itching for an excuse to get back up there in the next few weeks.

Bretton Woods was sweet today!  Very cold (Ski Patrol told me it was -16 F at the top of Rosebrook in the afternoon!), but the snow was yummy! :1luvu:.  Groomed firm with plenty of base left.  If it wasn't so cold (snow was like sandpaper) it would have been hero conditions.

It's been a tough year in Ohio.  We're challenged for altitude with a "peak" at 1300 feet, and our latitude is no help either.  Plus we've had near zero snowfall this year.  Our little ski are, Snow Trails, has knocked themselves out making snow when they can.  They had pumped a record amount of water by the end of February, and are still going at it when it's been cold enough.  They've never made snow in March before, but blew four days this March to try to gain us back some days.  But it's not easy when your temperatures do this:

Temp.jpg

Local bump made snow to hopefully stretch the season to allow for a March break school holiday ( rained out last year.) This week came with records low  and wind. Virtually no one showed up this weekend.  I think the local bump is suffering from affluenza $$$ People with lots of disposable income leave for the march break and don't come back to the hill even if there is lots of snow. Clear out sale in the ski shop with $750 wind shell  and $1200 skis on sale  50% off Certainly is a different world today. I'm convinced diehard riders are doomed. 

7 hours ago, lowrider said:

Local bump made snow to hopefully stretch the season to allow for a March break school holiday ( rained out last year.) This week came with records low  and wind. Virtually no one showed up this weekend.  I think the local bump is suffering from affluenza $$$ People with lots of disposable income leave for the march break and don't come back to the hill even if there is lots of snow. Clear out sale in the ski shop with $750 wind shell  and $1200 skis on sale  50% off Certainly is a different world today. I'm convinced diehard riders are doomed. 

"Doomed"? How so?

My membership dollars used to convince  management that I was an enthusiastic rider and they used to accommodate diehards by attempting to keep going when enough snow allowed you to get down the hill without having to jump mud and grass patches. Now they happily close with full coverage and mountains of snow in the park. No more tailgate parties or enjoying spring sunshine. Overhead costs with inflated numbers of staff have made it unprofitable to stay open. I believe the way businesses are run today there is no hope or ability to downsize and stay profitable. I suffer this condition every year and hope for a different outcome insane ! 

It was nice to see the snow guns going at my local spot on Sunday! Looks like March will be the best conditions by far this season.

Guido591: I was at Stratton Dec 19th or so, and also March 7, and conditions were far better March 7. Much better coverage, better grooming.

Wolf: I think we've had it even worse temperature-wise. But I think the local spot is used to adverse conditions and jumps on any opportunity to make snow, even if it's two hours in the early AM when it dips below 28 F. And for the past few seasons. even if it's after Presidents' Week. Places that are usually colder aren't used to this and don't seem to have figured this out (or don't have the resources to pull it off, or whatever).

• 9 months later...

Last week Killington was closed due to "extreme weather" with -50 F windchill at the summit.  This week in many parts of New England it was 60 (59 in Southern NH) with heavy rain and flood warnings. 

I just left my local hill after trying (and failing) to convince myself that sliding around on rocks, dirt, and ice with heavy MLK weekend crowds would be fun.  

Does anyone know a good therapist?  On the plus side legalization of recreational marijuana use is a thing.  Ironically, the "Live Free or Die" state is not yet on board with that. 

1 hour ago, pow4ever said:

I got 4 days in so far(down by at least 10 days compare to last season).  The 4 seasons experience compress in to a single week seems to becoming the norm.  Missed the Beast crew! 

David, are you headed to Aspen? 

Would you come to Berkshire East for a Rally the weekend after Presidents Day?

Just now, lafcadio said:

David, are you headed to Aspen? 

Would you come to Berkshire East for a Rally the weekend after Presidents Day?

If you mean this David... nope. Headed to Whitefish. I live in glorious Montucky...can’t hardly swing a dead cat without hitting a great inexpensive area with exceptional conditions. So a trip out east does not seem like a good investment in time. And I never tune my boards and I have no ice technique.... 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dredman said:

If you mean this David... nope. Headed to Whitefish.

Good choice!  :-D  I was actually referring to @pow4ever.  

I'm deciding between Whitefish and Aspen.  As much as I like the idea of seeing Montana and something different, I really want to catch up and ride with Joerg.  Miss that guy something fierce.