Note to New Members ×

flight bag for longer boards

dadrydes2

Hi 

Last season I found a solution to the same issue you are trying to solve now.  For years I had a Day Glow Pink and Smurf Blue Kemper bag that is scary ugly ... as it is from the 80's :cool: ; but it is VERY wide and long.  For literally years I looked for a big board bag, didn't ever find one.

The solution turned out to be a Double Ski Bag from K2, liked it so much I bought a second one.  

http://www.amazon.co.uk/K2-Allski-Roller-2025002-1-1-1SIZ-Double/dp/B008FWK4RE

What I liked about it is that it doesn't have wheels, so it is possible to roll it up and pack it away in your equipment/boot bag.  

The second feature that sold was me was the top end, it has Velcro that makes it possible to extend the bag down to about 170cm and up to 200cm and it is wide enough to easily pack two huge powder type boards with plate bindings. 

Hope this helps.

Rob

post-171-0-76206300-1445557224_thumb.jpg

Edited by RCrobar
  • Like 2

I have a sport tube I sometimes use if I'm really worried, but it's heavy, a pain to carry and not particularly board friendly (you still have to pad things). I have used long bags from Burton, DaKine and Bonfire as well as some sleeves I've made.

I ran into a double Volkl ski bag at the local shop that looked great if I were plunking down the money again.

To echo the above, many of the ski companies make double bags now that are essentially board bags, and you can often choose 185 or 200cm lengths.

Edited by Mr.E

I think a lot of people don't fly much, in which case just google something long enough.

Personally I used every top-of-the-line bag from Burton/ DaKine and those guys and for any sort of serious flying, none of them lasted more than a season. My last £120 Burton finished it for me - a brand new bag, and by the time it'd flown from LHR->SFO the handle from the end had been ripped off... and those things are useless without that little handle. Of course I had three or four more segments to fly. That's why I don't use soft cases any more.

I bought a Sport Tube about 10 years ago and that's still going strong. It's heavier than the soft things, with 6 of your 23Kgs wasted.

it is rather an old design in need of a refresh, I think.

A big problem I've had when flying with my board in a soft bag is that the edges of the board will slice and dice right through most of the snow-board specific bags unless you find some way of isolating them.  That plastic coarse-weave tarpaulin material just gets eaten up, even on padded boards.  My wife however has some ski bags from her racing days that used a lot of thick vinyl-like material and those have held up really well.

My Sportube 2 has made it through 10 trips, each with 2 flights one-way.  That's 40 individual plane rides and many baggage handlers.  

The axle broke on the last trip, but Sportube sent a new one to my hotel in Aspen for reasonable money.  The edges where the two tubes meet are a bit chewed up by the TSA folks struggling to close it again after inspecting.  It looks rough but going strong!  I need to get a wider one now and will be buying a Sportube 3 with confidence.  The 3 has less length capacity than the 2, but my longest board is a 182 anyway.  

I do put a sheet of corrugated cardboard under the bottom board.  It's wider than the board to protect the edges a bit.  I also put the top and bottom boards in Bomber bags, with the middle board naked, then strap them together in a bundle so they don't shift against each other.  

As an aside - I've watched numerous baggage handlers tossing the nylon bags and then carefully placing the Sportube on the rack/pile.  I don't understand, but I like it.  

I'd like one of these, although it's a bit pricy: https://douchebags.com/ski-snowboard-bag-the-douchebag

Seriously nice bag though!

Review here: https://douchebags.com/ski-snowboard-bag-the-douchebag

Padding / Protection

The Douchebag, with only its array of flexible plastic plates as protection, is not the most padded bag I’ve used. Compared to the Dakine Double Concourse or the now-discontinued Patagonia Black Hole Snow Roller, the Douchebag feels a bit thin and flimsy, especially since it does not have any foam padding along the top and sides.

It has, however, worked well for me without that padding and I haven’t suffered any damage to my skis, boots, or other gear throughout multiple international trips this year. The hard plastic plates seem to provide ample protection even for very wide skis like the DPS Spoon (dimensions, mm: 158-148-151).

Capacity

I was concerned about the Douchebag’s ability to handle being stuffed with fat skis, boots, avalanche gear, and other essentials that usually torture the inside of my ski bags. And it seem like I’ve maxed it out with the DPS Spoon coupled with the Whitedot Carbon Redeemer, bindings for both skis, avy gear, and a pair of boots.

But it handled all that almost as well as the Patagonia Black Hole Snowroller. It does not have the expansive volume of the Dakine Double Concourse but it’s ample for my needs even when rolling with multiple pairs of skis for review trips, or with the fattest powder skis for Japan.

Edited by Johnny

I'd like one of these, although it's a bit pricy: https://douchebags.com/ski-snowboard-bag-the-douchebag

Seriously nice bag though!

Review here: https://douchebags.com/ski-snowboard-bag-the-douchebag

Yeah, I would love to hear from someone who has used one. It seems to kinda mix the soft and hard cases together. I would individually bag boards for a little added protection, but otherwise I think it might work well

I'm happy with my Dakine Double Ski Bag, even had it loaded with 12 boards inside plus miscellaneous gear and based on my research it's the only bag that'll fit my 200 cm Tanker. Only flew with it once but after a couple years of moderate use still looks like new. Definitely get wheels if you're going to carry a few boards + boots inside and pack your boards in their own bags.

I like the Douchebag concept except for the name and price tag. I paid $140 for the Dakine and I think with some hunting anyone can bag one for the same price.

philw's thoughts on the idea that most people don't fly that much has me rethinking my first post as 99% of the trips I go on I drive to the resort.  

For the trips I did fly on I have the same bag that michael.a and Neil Gendzwill mentioned, the double Dakine wheeled bag.

I guess a guy just needs to convince his wife he needs a few types of travel board bags to meet the needs of all the different types of trips. :biggthump

Cheers
Rob

Edited by RCrobar

philw's thoughts on the idea that most people don't fly that much has me rethinking my first post as 99% of the trips I go on I drive to the resort.  

So yeah, if people say: "I put 12 boards in there and it lasts forever", I already know they don't fly, because the baggage handlers at most places will not take more than 23Kgs. You may get away with 32Kgs if you're extremely lucky, but you'll not get 12 boards in there at that. It just depends what you want to do.

My Sporttube must be 10 or 15 years old, with probably more than 10 flight segments each season. This, you will realize, is why my garage, which is quite large, is completely lined with old soft Snowboard cases.... I sometimes had to buy more than one of the things each season. It got to the point when I either needed to build a bigger garage, or stop throwing money away on bags which aren't up to the job.

Sporttube:

• the edges of the tubes do get a bit scuzzy but you can either cut them down, duct tape them, or not worry about it.
  • The wheels take damage, but although bits have dropped off mine, I'm still using the original ones. 
  • The corners get dinged, but you can push them back out again.
  • You can sit on them, but unless they're actually full they will crumple a bit, although it pops back into shape when you take your fat bottom off it.
  • They're pretty difficult to wheel or log when they're 23Kgs full. I stick mine in a trolley where those are free/ handy, as that works better.
  • They're hard to pack/ unpack, it's a nack. The TSA have it, but it probably takes them half an hour.
  • I wrap the boards in light bubble-wrap, and cover the ends with some thicker stuff as they probably bounce the case on there. The boards you can probably chuck about with impunity, but when you add the momentum from the boots you can generate some force.

Me, I just never, ever, want to see my stuff coming off the conveyor one piece at a time again.

Conventional bag/ board edges:

• In UK we have "pipe lagging" which is circular foam stuff with a slit down the side, intended to insulate pipes of about 15mm and 22mm. If you can get some of that and put it along the edges of the board it will stop them cutting the soft bag, although it's fiddly to get right.

The Bomber sleeves are great. I use them when traveling to the hill to keep the boards from banging each other or the vehicle. For air travel I use them with the boards in a padded case. My Burton and Bonfire bags have all flown multiple times, been stashed in cars, buses, roof carriers and been strapped to the tops of cars for long distances. Each is over 10 years old.

New to the sport just bought a donek 185 hazlewood need to fly with it but cant find a board bag big enough. Can anyone help

If you really want to SAFELY fly with it and pay next to nothing to package it. Simply do the "Burrito Method" box for shipment and call it good. Double cardboard the tip and tail and tightly wrap the board in cardboard.   Bring a roll of packaging tape along to reseal it up.  Cost of about 2.85$ total.   Just a thought. 

You don't happen to still have the box it came in? 

I have one of these. It is fantastic.

Yes, the company name is horrifyingly awful but the product is good. The newer versions have shortened the printed name of the company to "Db" on the bag, to save you the embarrassment of their full name, so they're not even embarrasing.

They also sell a separate boot bag that can piggy-back on the board bag, allowing you to carry board + boot bag with one hand, wheeled. It then detaches easily so you can check one and carry the other with ease.

A very smartly designed system. Don't let the name scare you away.

Thought this one was interesting

https://douchebags.com/ski-snowboard-bag-the-douchebag

Uses a skeleton system instead of padding, adjustable, and wheeled.

I have a High Sierra double ski bag - it fits a 183 plus another board.  Got it cheap online from ebags.  It has survived 3 trips to Europe and 2 out west .  The padding isn't great but it's roomy, so I pack the bag with clothes.  Loaded up, it's heavy and awkward as hell to schlep around -- but, then, there's really no easy way to travel with a six foot long snowboard.

My two nickles (inflation).

Lord Douche Bag looks nice but not for $249.. That's like crazy pricing  I can get an Oxess for that!! doh..

I'll give Plus +1 for the Dakine 200cm,, its changed names through the years but basically the same.  Look around  for best price.. I have pretty much used a double ski bag on rollers so there are some options..  Don't break the bank because be prepared to have those fancy smancy wheels ripped clean off !!!  due to its length some airports hate it and likes to eat them.  I lost one on my way to Montana,,,I just bought a new one..  lucky I had the receipt and ordered a replacement that day to ship to the mountain.. they actually handed me a check when I checked back in on my way home!  gotta love Montana!!   So Im about on my third going on number 4 soon...

Right said Francken Shred.