Note to New Members ×

Titanal all mountain boards

Dan

My glass Prior 4 x 4 gets a lot of days in on our Pacific NW variable snowpack. It can go anywhere and do anything, but I have to admit that some days I wish it was a metal board. Given what I'm expecting from this El Nino season, I'm probably not going to buy a new board this year, but at least I can enjoy talking about buying a new board. 

So, what's out there in a metal all mountain shape? I would be interested in a titanal 4 x 4, but there's no such animal. The Metal Ax from Donek and the Coiler Stubby are really the only two boards that come to mind for me that fit the description. Is anything else out there? Does anyone have experience with either board? 

Coiler is still making a titanal version of the AM.  I have a glass AM 172 which I have more or less put aside in favour of my Nirvana Free Carve, although if I wanted to make it a true all-mountain I might knock a little length off it (it's 180).  I only bust out my old glass AM if I am intending to spend a lot of time in tight conditions or really big bumps.

Talk to Bruce, see what he's cooking up these days, his ideas always seem to be ahead of his website.

Coiler is still making a titanal version of the AM.  I have a glass AM 172 which I have more or less put aside in favour of my Nirvana Free Carve, although if I wanted to make it a true all-mountain I might knock a little length off it (it's 180).  I only bust out my old glass AM if I am intending to spend a lot of time in tight conditions or really big bumps.

Talk to Bruce, see what he's cooking up these days, his ideas always seem to be ahead of his website.

Oh yeah, the AM-T, I should have remembered that board. Yeah, that would probably be pretty high on my list, maybe a bit wider than stock to provide some float if I happen to find some soft stuff. 

I just ordered a board from Bruce :)

Thought I was going to order a VSR AM as I want a versatile all mountain board for powder, trees, and bump chutes so I can get to more powder. After some discussion we settled on a modified asymmetric core SL race board with and some of his magic mixed in.  Needles to say I am super stoked and cant wait!!!  Cant say enough good about Bruce and the way he works with you to find/create a board.  Last time I ordered and ended up with this new board he was working on that seemed to fit my desires - can you say Nirvana?

There are way more options than on the website

will be back to let you know how it rides

• Like 1

Dan, I have a nice light Palmer BX board you might like.  Good price to you :)  Some chipping but overall pretty sound. Blue top, honey comb.   From what I recall these are made in Austria and are poppy , lively boards?  Can't recall if it had Titanal but I believe some of his did.  100$ 155cm

Thought I was going to order a VSR AM as I want a versatile all mountain board for powder, trees, and bump chutes so I can get to more powder. After some discussion we settled on a modified asymmetric core SL race board with and some of his magic mixed in.  Needles to say I am super stoked and cant wait!!!  Cant say enough good about Bruce and the way he works with you to find/create a board.  Last time I ordered and ended up with this new board he was working on that seemed to fit my desires - can you say Nirvana?

Gotta +1 this!  I just received my Coiler Nirvana Balance, and Bruce was really fantastic to work with.  Reasonable prices too, compared to Kessler et. al.  Can't wait for the snow!!!

Does a board with metal construction break down faster than a glass board if you are riding all mountain? not expecting a board to last forever but just wondering if the metal board has a shorter lifespan on average?

The short answer: yes. The higher performance comes at a cost in durability.

While the first metal boards were quite susceptible to early failure, particularly delaminations and distortions to the titanal layer (most infamously at the front binding), you can say that's been worked out and any issues today are purely based on manufacturer build quality. Nonetheless, anecdotal evidence (such as mine) says that a metal board requires far more care than a glass board and can be easily damaged rendering it unrideable. 

It's a tough call. If going metal I'd recommend going new as I think any defects are bound to appear within the first season of riding.

Dan, I have a nice light Palmer BX board you might like.  Good price to you :)  Some chipping but overall pretty sound. Blue top, honey comb.   From what I recall these are made in Austria and are poppy , lively boards?  Can't recall if it had Titanal but I believe some of his did.  100$ 155cm

Thanks Bryan! I would be looking to go longer - probably in the 170ish range. Anyway, I'm not shopping until I see what Ullr has in store for the PNW this season. 

• 2 weeks later...

Although it may not be an obvious choice to most based on the needs you mentioned, I'm not surprised by the recommendation.  I spent quite a bit of time on a 160 Angrry last season and really enjoyed its versatility.  Great on the groomers but I also found myself riding it late into the day even when things got choppy.  I would have typically switched over to skis much earlier.  It's very nimble and fun to slide on.  Even jumped into the moguls and felt comfortable on it.  I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

I have some video on the Angrry last season that I'll post up soon. 

Edited by Gabe T

Yeah, my OES SL is very AM capable, but not as good as a real thing. I eish Aleksey would develop a real AM board out of it...

It was the same with Kessler SL I rode way back. The Kessler BX narrow is a real AM machine, but I'm always worried that I'll bend it.

Coiler AMT was solid as a rock.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Mmm, it all depends what you mean, but my Kessler SL is an "all mountain piste board". You can ride it in powder but it's obviously not designed for that and is too narrow, but it does the same job as the older glass SL boards it replaced, for me. The difference... less "kick", but much less vibration. I don't ride much piste, but this Kessler is a few years old and looks/ rides like new.

I suspect you could talk Bruce into making an AM-T or Nirvana in any width you want.   The Monster 2 is another AM-friendly flex.   That's the blue Carbonium top I was riding last spring... probably my most versatile board overall.    Your yellow Monster would probably be great in windpack, and if it was built for your weight or less, powder.   

My glass Prior 4 x 4 gets a lot of days in on our Pacific NW variable snowpack. It can go anywhere and do anything, but I have to admit that some days I wish it was a metal board. Given what I'm expecting from this El Nino season, I'm probably not going to buy a new board this year, but at least I can enjoy talking about buying a new board. 

So, what's out there in a metal all mountain shape? I would be interested in a titanal 4 x 4, but there's no such animal. The Metal Ax from Donek and the Coiler Stubby are really the only two boards that come to mind for me that fit the description. Is anything else out there? Does anyone have experience with either board?

There are a few of us that will recommend braking the bank and getting a custom oxess with xxr carbon top construction. . They have the edge hold have smooth riding like metal if not better yet durable as hell! Get a oxess bx but take it down to 23 or 22 wide..and you will be in heaven. . Just my thought.. its why my quiver mainly has the carbon Oxesses. .im sure big canuck can back that up as well..see his quiver...

Enjoy..

RSS

Maybe volkl coal xt 168 ?  I love my volkl cross 167 for riding with softboot friends ?  I am looking for a new stock volkl coal xt 168 to replace it . They are supposed to a have titanal layer in them .  Super fun ride anything, anywhere using td3 yellow cushions on them.