Note to New Members ×

Heard It In The Lift Line 2014/2015

Corey

I've found a way to distract attention from my board. Riding lifts with my hand armour gets a question pretty much every time. The commonest follow up question after the explanation is "Are you going to patent it?" Then there was the Aspen teenager who just thought it was "Totally badass!"

I have a spare set with me for anyone who would like to have a try during SES.

Edited by SunSurfer

I've found a way to distract attention from my board. Riding lifts with my hand armour gets a question pretty much every time. The commonest follow up question after the explanation is "Are you going to patent it?" Then there was the Aspen teenager who just thought it was "Totally badass!"

I have a spare set with me for anyone who would like to have a try during SES.

Picture of this hand armor?

Picture of this hand armor?

http://forums.bomberonline.com/index.php?/topic/37883-alpine-snowboarders-hand-armour/

Have made a second pair, same basic concept, neater construction, but 1/ no ski tip projecting from the bottom and 2/ no flat face below the shell. 3/ GoPro mount for either selfies or videoing riding partners on top of the the Right hand shell.

I tried riding without them today. My hands felt naked and vulnerable, and I was much less confident in my riding. As soon as they were on again I was happily throwing myself into turns and feeling better balanced. Not sure if this is all psychological, or, if the act of holding them and tensing the muscles in my arms is making my neuromuscular balance system more sensitive from a proprioception (position sense) point of view. Whatever, I ride better with them on. And I have a generally no touch riding style, I don't "pat the dog".

post-2036-0-15882400-1423016293_thumb.jp

Not sure if this is all psychological, or, if the act of holding them and tensing the muscles in my arms is making my neuromuscular balance system more sensitive from a proprioception (position sense) point of view. Whatever, I ride better with them on.

relay runners tend to go quicker when carrying a baton .. and a thief runs faster with a bag of swag... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I was told by a snowboard mountain ambassador and her crew that I need to get off of my alpine board before noon when all of the crowds show up.  It is dangerous. They asked me my plans and I told them I would do shorter, more slalom turns.

I hope you told them to take a long walk off a short pier!

^^^ No s%$t. You paid for your lift pass, the same as everyone else.

I went riding with a girl from my crossfit box last weekend. We slid off the first lift, and I slipped down the slope six feet and stepped in. She looked at me and said "Is that it?" I said "Yep" and she said "I hate you already".

Maybe that was why she made me ride ice in the trees all day. Huh.

Edited by Allee
  • Like 1

I was told by a snowboard mountain ambassador and her crew that I need to get off of my alpine board before noon when all of the crowds show up. It is dangerous. They asked me my plans and I told them I would do shorter, more slalom turns.

That's crazy. Just like if they told skiers not to use GS skis. As long as respecting alpine code and slow zones everyone should be fine.

• Like 1

They asked me my plans and I told them I would do shorter, more slalom turns.

I really, really, really hope you didn't actually adjust your style to meet their unrealistic standards.  Personally, I would write a letter to the owner/ CEO of the mountain and ask if the mountain ambassador represents the mountain policy of no hardboot snowboards after noon.

A very sweet older skier watching Arneburner and myself coming off of Sneakys at Snowmass:

What you guys are doing is so pretty, graceful, just beautiful!  Good thing she was out of earshot as I tried to turn the Virus Frank made for the Russian team, there was nothing pretty about all of the grunting and cursing I was doing to get that beast to come around.  Her comments more than made up for all of the hate we would experience on the shuttle later

mario

"Whoa, what are those step ins? they must be new, I have never seen them before" about my standard TD1s.

Also, saw a kid today who literally had ski boots strapped into soft bindings on a free-ride/park board.... :smashfrea

Aaaand, when I ordered a turkey sandwich for lunch today "did you want ketchup on that?"  :barf:  

But, hope is not all lost, rode a chair with a soft boarder who was asking some more intelligent questions about alpine carving. 

• Like 1

"Whoa, what are those step ins? they must be new, I have never seen them before" about my standard TD1s.

I ran a cable up my pant leg that comes out next to my pocket and I put a little pull start handle from a chainsaw on it.  It's right at hand level for me, unless you watch real close, you can't see me pulling the handle.  It blows peoples minds when I pop out of my rear binding as I'm coming to a stop and seamlessly transition to skating up to the lift.  Same goes for stepping in- I'll step in as I stand up from the lift and be off before the skiers I ride with have their hands through their pole leashes.  "Come on, guys... aren't you supposed to be the ones waiting for the snowboarder?"

Some guy riding the lift with me was asking about it one time, and I told him there's an RFID tag in the boot that automatically releases when it senses the RFID chips they put in all the lift towers.  He didn't believe me, so I held my boot out and as we passed the towers, I'd pull on the cable, retracting the pins in the heel of my boot.  He was on the opposite side of the cable, so he didn't see what I was doing.  I had a laugh about it in my head and then told him the truth, and we both had a laugh about it out loud.  :)

Edited by That Guy...
  • Like 2

There where a few nice comments on the shuttle, but we where double teamed by a fat late 70s man who wanted no one to have any fun, and to get off of his lawn while we where at it, and a 50ish woman whom said she skied and snowboarded ( neither without any style I suspect) . The trenches left by the session apparently ruined their day, so they unleashed their vitriol on the 2 of us.

No pics on the virus, and details are sketchy.  Fin was afraid of it, and wanted me to keep it for the week, it was built as a prototype for the Russian snowboard team.  It is beefy with an elliptical side cut that felt like it was in the 20's. I did not like to go slow, or be babied. It really liked to be hammered hard in steep terrain, then it felt like it might want to turn. It was one and done for me, way too much work

mario