Note to New Members ×

Over 50 club

Bobby Buggs

A Tired Skier Looking for Advice

At 53, I have been skiing for 50 years. Don't get me wrong, I love to ski. I have skied big and small mountains, raced, etc.  But I am just getting bored, particularly on the small hills in western PA and the rest of the mid-eastern US. 

Soooooo, I was looking a taking up snowboarding as a new challenge. I tried it a couple of times a number of years ago, but did not find it interesting.  Then out at Canyons (UT) I watched a young man carving a long board with a hard boot set up. It was beautiful.  He carved turns better than most skiers. Incredible grace.  That is what I would like to try.

So, can the over 50 club give me some advice on how to get started. I love to ski fast making big arcing turns and have a good understanding of ski technology and the physics of skiing. I ski either my K2 Outlaws or Fisher Race GS.

I am (sort of) reasonably fit for a 53 year old school teacher (5'10" 215lbs).  Why kind and more importantly SIZE of board should I look for? I don't have unlimited funds, but I am willing to invest some money into this when the time is right.

Where do you get boots? Most of the shops around here maybe have heard of hard boot set ups, but certainly don't sell them. Are hard boots the best option? I recall from years ago not likeing the squishy feeling of snowboard boards and bindings compared to the control you have with ski boots.

Are the binding for a hard boot set up completely different than for a soft boot set up?

Thank you in advance Over 50 club members for your advice.

Have you checked out the new carvers section here? http://bomberonline.com/resources/newcarver/new_carver.html

As far as boots are concerned, most people have best success with snowboard-specific hard boots. You can order them here, they can help you with sizing. Bomber builds and sells excellent bindings.

Tired Skier, Welcome! and have you ever come right place!!!  

Percentage wise we are a small , yet passionate group of alpine riders compared to freestyle.   Many here are also skiers , including myself.  If you understand and appreciate pure carving,  you have a real  treat coming your way!!   That said , the first few attempts can feel awkward but it is a pretty fast learning curve if you already have snow understanding and technique.  Sounds like it by your history.  Prepare for a new direction and new thrill on snow!!! If you read some threads of other new alpine riders many of your questions will be answered. 

PS. Fill in the user info/ location is the most important , folks in your area are often the key.  They can make it a much easier transition. 

Bryan 

I am really surprised by how many of "US" are out there!!!   I don't feel quite as old , but still pretty old :)  I need to get with the program knowing that many of you that still ride a super good eaters and very fit.   Riding with guys like Tinkler, Joey C etc is pretty humbling.  They are older and can still rip!! (removed capitalization on that last superlative, bad connotations.  

You guys are truly inspiring. Thank you!!  

Signed "rippin in retirement"  

• Like 1