Note to New Members ×

Last Run

John E

Near the end of your day riding, do you start to think "is this my last run?". Several of my fellow riders refuse to think of the "last run" or "one more run" because their superstition makes them think this will jinx them & cause an injury. I don't buy this.

As my legs tire through the day, I start thinking that I might have 3 or 4 or 1 or 2 more in me. As I approach the bottom of the lift, I think "do I get on for one more?". I often want my last run to be a good one but this is often not the case because my legs are tired, the slopes are getting crowded and the runs are getting beat up.

Near the end of the season, do you think about your last run of the season or do you realize sometime later that was you last run because you never made it up again?

As you get on in age, do you think that you probably cannot do this forever and you will eventually have your real last run? Will you know it at the time?

For me, the "last run" is called @ the bottom. It seems, all to often, the last run is the one that results in injury. When you call it, your mind gravitates towards a beer, the traffic home, or whatever the rest of the day has in store. Hards carving needs/demands, focus, dedication, not distraction. So, if I say "one more run..." my mind and body aren't focused on the run nearly as much as they should be. That's when mistakes are made.

Don

Feed the addiction...

I'm not normally a superstitious person, but I refuse to let myself even think that this will be the last run! I think there's some unconscious decisions made to make a 'last run' a little better, meaning more risk or trying something new to end on a high note. That is what leads to increased risk vs. every other run of the day.

I try to make that decision at the bottom/lodge.

See also:

- Hold my beer

- Watch this

- I think I can make it

usually it's the liftie who calls last run. the swine.

Sunday April 20th was my second for the season last run. Closing out the season with a trip to Powder King in British Columbia. We had a record 4 riders in attendance. Unfortunately we had to call last run at noon to catch the plane home. If anyone is interested in powder, beautiful fall line runs, no crowds, a diesel powered chair and t-bar with affordable hostel accommodation in a remote location check it out. Linked to Vancouver BC via Prince George they have a bus that will deliver you to the resort Thursday through Sunday. Annual snow fall 41 feet.

I ask myself if this is my last run almost every day that I ride. I have never been really hurt.

If you do get seriously injured, that run is you last run by definition - whether you acknowledge it beforehand or not.

I guess my question has more to do with the recognition that your riding day - and maybe your season - was ending.

the 'last run' may be thinkable for those who are lucky enough to ride big mountains. Here in Mid-Atlantic, 1000 ft elevation from top to bottom takes about 1 min. 25 secs. (I have recorded many riding video of others and myself for a run from top to bottom and basically avg. out 85 seconds). well then... first decided 'last run' has never been the actual 'last run'. so it goes like this in typical weekday riding day...

• Around 11 am : hmmm.. condition is getting worse (snow, human obstacles). I better take next one to be my 'last one'
  • After the 'last run': Well.. it wasn't that bad... let me take few more runs.
  • After the few more runs: Ok.. I'm done but ... last heelside turns were awesome but one toeside turn was sketch.. let me correct that and will call it a day.
  • After the few more runs: Ok..all good.. oh wait. Let me try same on a different deck. (swap board and head to lift again).
  • After the few more runs on different deck: Yup. it does. Awesome. I'm done. oh wait! When i'm going to be up here again? ** Thinnking *** Crap! This could be my really last visit of the season! I better ride few more!
  • After the few more: Ok.. I'm really done and my legs are shot. oh..wait.. does that guy on alpine deck? HEY!!!..
  • and on and on and on...
  • Then get a call on top of the slope: Wife - 'Where are you? Are you still at work? Are you going to pick up kids? It's 2.' Me: 'Yup. on my way already!' (thinking..i may pull off one more run after this..)

For end of the season, take last few bullets out but..same story different day.

One guy I ride with always announces, "two more runs, and going to skip the last one", when he's ready to quit. A tongue-in-cheek nod to the superstition.

I never know for sure when my last run is until I finish it, although I feel when I'm close. With experience comes the wisdom to know when it's time to quit. You always want that last run to be fun, a satisfying end to the day. The kid in me never wants to quit. Early in the season my legs tell me when I'm on my last run, later it's the conditions (snow or crowds) and occasionally I make it from first chair to last, that's a good day.

We have several last runs of the season as each of the local hills close, and we try and get a day at each before they close.

Some times we have quick transitions into the next season, but this year and last we've had lots of snow and continued freeze/thaw, so I may have to do some hiking and riding...last runs that can truly be savored.

post-8510-14184241606_thumb.jpg

In my family, the 'last run' or 'one more before calling it quits' phenomenon has caused: a severe ankle sprain requiring a cast for three months, left shoulder ligament tears, then right shoulder ligament tears, and the coup de grace was a massive fracture of the leg that required partial ankle reconstruction. I will not include later associated pain problems (such as patellofemoral pain syndrome and knee tendonitis) as they are probably linked to overall riding stresses but the previous injuries certainly didnt help.

So, a lot of sound advice was posted above.

If you need to call out 'last run' then that already means that there is some factor either preventing further enjoyment or providing a distraction (most commonly the onset of of fatigue, worsening conditions, crowding, etc.) and should be a warning bell to take it very slow and easy. Took my family 15 years to learn that golden rule.

I don't do superstition (unlike my Prime Minister). I usually crank up the music and push harder on my last run, and I'll generally always ride top-to-bottom without stopping then. I want to get down feeling like I've had some excercise. I've never hurt myself at that point in a day.

The superstition may arise from the fact that if you do actually break something that will necessarily be your last run.

For heli, if you aren't paying by the vertical meter, then you need to be awake around the end of the day or you'll miss a run. The last but one run is where you generally don't want to arse about, so you need to know where everything is logistically for the best value outcome.

Edited by philw
Add rude comment about the posh boy

1) Never call it the last run.

2) Sometimes when we think we're done for the season, we seem find a place that has snow and is open for one more weekend. (And then there's always summer riding up at Mt. Hood.)

3) I'm 57, and a day will come when I have had my last run. I won't know it at the time, but by the next winter's snowfall, my soul will have returned to God's kingdom.

It's on my list, but it always seems quite a long way north when I actually get close. There was an article in TWS or Powder or something about it years ago.

With named runs like Twist and Shout, Get Back and Penny Lane I would have assumed it would be a priority to visit sooner rather than later.

I haven't been carving all that long but I have been soft-booting & skiing for a long time.

I've never heard so many that buy into "don't call the last run" superstition. Where does this come from? Have I just not been paying attention?

I've never heard so many that buy into "don't call the last run" superstition. Where does this come from? Have I just not been paying attention?

I don't look at it as a superstition. It's more like the" state of mind" you get in knowing "one more run" then you're done. Youi're tired, thinking about the ride home, thinking about that beer, etc... In other words, you're setting yourself up for making a "mental" mistake that could result in injury.

Don

Feed the addiction...

Had 2 last runs this season, both on the same day. Big Sky, coming off the peak going down Otter Slide and on to the Dictators. Late in the day figured it was going to be skied out, and wouldn't make the last tram, but no. Steep, requiring jump turns that morphed into vertical carves and untouched close to knee deep. Down with speed and and made the last tram up, and more of the same, and knew it was the last run of the season, and the best. Nice way to end the season on very tired knees.

We have figured out when the last run usually occurs, and slow down to make sure it's not the permanent last run.

For me, the "last run" is called @ the bottom.

Exactly this!

Wth more experience I recognize the point from which one it doesn't get any better. This is the time to quit and head to the bar. Yes, and there is always "the" last run - but only recognized at the bottom. It always gives me kind of melancholic feelings especially when it was the last run of the season.

• 2 months later...

I have friends and fam that have experienced the last run. As a demo rep I have seen a different rider return gear because they decided this was going to be the "last run". As a friend waiting at the bottom of the "last run" I've had to go to ski patrol to get a ski club student or friend. Surfing I've been sucked of the falls and pounded on the "last one".

So, we will never take a last run. We just go get some "Chicken Wings", and that's what we call it. "Chicken Wing"

Exactly this!

Wth more experience I recognize the point from which one it doesn't get any better. This is the time to quit and head to the bar.

This is the point I've gotten to as well. It's getting later in the day, and you "could" do one more, but ...

I've had too many times on snowboards or mountain bikes when I've thought "one more" and by the time I've gotten to the top of the lift, everything has seized up, and I suddenly realize I'm way more tired than I thought. Never a good look.

• 2 weeks later...

it is a bit like the 'most accidents happening near your house' fallacy; you spend more time driving near your house so accident rate is higher on average, not the result of any specific carelessness that kicks in when near your house.

When you are starting to think about last run, then that's near the end of the day and end of your endurance, so by default it would seem more likely that this is a time period when it is more likely you see an injury if resulting from fatigue.

Having said that, I tore my ACL on what I had told myself was my last run, and I've also had a concussion on what I thought was my last run (and another concussion that resulted in my choosing it to be the last run of the day). The ACL one was basically, 'last run of the season, let's make it count' mindset, pushing me harder at a time when I was more fatigued; my power deserted me mid turn and boom that was that; tumbling flip landing on my loaded rear knee fully rotated body and 6 months of rehab and ongoing pain even now.

I agree with the others; rather than saying 'this is my last run' being the curse, it's more a case of knowing when your getting tired and turning in sooner rather than later. I was smart enough to do that last trip in Japan having just nailed a pretty quick run down some steeps. When I inspected both boots a few months later, I had cracked both heels through and another run I probably would have lost one, maybe both boots and possibly totally destroyed my knee. So, sometimes knowing when to fold them is the key, just like the song says.