Note to New Members ×

glove/mitt durability

Donek

I've just purchased another pair of the same mitts. They keep my hands warm, but can't hold up to the abuse. While in Soelden last spring one of the participants (can't remember who) had coated the palm of his gloves with something he said made them indestructible. Does anybody have any suggestions for such a coating?

I've purchased a pair of Level half pipe

http://www.levelgloves.com/protection.php?recordID=halfpipexcrblack.gif&info=halfpipexcrroyal.gif

they are expensive but I wanted wrist protection. furthermore they are extremely warm.

I cannot say about durability though as I am too "young" a carver :D to drag my hands in the snow.

But I too would like to coat them with something to protect them.... especially given their cost!

Mitts rule! :) My hands freeze in any gloves unless it's just below freezing.

See this thread: http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?38861-Coating-clothes-gloves-with-Sika

The Sika 252 is wearing ok for me. It does wear off in time, but it's easy to re-apply.

michael.a recommended 'polyurethane' instead in this thread, but I was unable to get any details. I assume this is the clear shiny stuff you see on the Russian guys' clothing in the Velvet videos. I'd love more info if anyone has it.

You might want to do a search on the Swoard forum as they are hands and limbs draggers. I use ShoeGoo, works for me and cheap. I just apply to area of stress.

Even expensive coating on gloves wear out esp if you are dragging on east coast ice, esp at the seams. Just apply more ShoeGoo when wearing out (about every 2-3yrs for me).

Stop wasting your time/money/common sense.

http://www.texashuntingnews.com/THOR.htm

Yes, these are the best! Scooby and me have them for 3 years now, so far so good. Only point of failure is the stiches. We coated them with Sikaflex, not sure which one - Scoob bought it, I think black marine grade one.

But yes, they are cold - not too big issue in our coastel temps. When colder, I wear the fleece or other thin thermal gloves under. If they made a mit, I would switch to it, for sure.

Hey sean, I think I was the guy who recommended smearing gloves with Sikaflex, you want No. 256. You can thin it with acetone, although durability is affected.

Thor gloves are hardcore and the only gloves I used that survived more than one season, I used them almost all the time as I love to drag my hands on the snow. However, they are not good gloves. They have zero thermal protection, poor breathability, easily get soaking wet, and the damn velcro strap ends on the BOTTOM of the glove which I hate. I use another pair of mitts inside them and it's OK, but still..

Corey, I totally forgot to followup on using polyurethane to gloves and gear. I'll get some links ready and show how the end product looks.

Stop wasting your time/money/common sense.

http://www.texashuntingnews.com/THOR.htm

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37294[/ATTACH]

Yes, these are the best! Scooby and me have them for 3 years now, so far so good. Only point of failure is the stiches. We coated them with Sikaflex, not sure which one - Scoob bought it, I think black marine grade one.

But yes, they are cold - not too big issue in our coastel temps. When colder, I wear the fleece or other thin thermal gloves under. If they made a mit, I would switch to it, for sure.

I wanted to Ace, but they don't make a Mitt. Poor circulation means that's my only choice.

Thats too bad. These are seriously the best glove in terms of durability. I'm also going on three years. The liners are shot, and they are cooler (less insulated) than other gloves, so I also throw on a second liner for super cold days.

The only downside is the Velcro packs up with snow in certain types of conditions.

Dave

Sean,

A lot of us in the East battle this all the time on icey conditions. We can easily trash a set of gloves in one day if the snow is boiler plate. We have had a lot of luck with tool dip on the jackets and pants. For gloves I've found that Tooldip works fairly well on synthetic gloves, but does not bond well with leather. I have had great success using Gorilla tape on my knees and gloves. I am on the 3rd season with my gloves, which is a record for me. Just make sure you round your edges when you apply the tape. You'll see me all gorilla taped out at the ECES. :rolleyes:

Not a fan of Manzella gloves in general, but I have a pair called "The Beast". They are about 4 seasons old and have held up great with the exception of one seam by the goggle scraper. Minor sewing keeps it good for each season. I haven't been able to find them again, but if given the chance I'd buy the whole lot. Warm, super durable, long gaiters with integrated/removable wrist guards, knuckle zips for warm days and pockets for hand warmers. Best I've found.

Had a friend who did his with 252 he heated it up in boiling water vs thinning. Kind of looks like stragulli (sp?) when done,but wore well and no extra drag even with the uneven application. It stays very flexible even when cold. Myself, I'm a duct tape guy(: Be nice to have a shell type glove and liners because I have a hard time drying mine out overnight.

Edited by digger jr

For me best thing is Liquid rubber by Bison. I also tried Sika and Shoegoo, but Liquid rubber is the best!

Some guys also using Aquasure, but I didn't try it yet.

Liquid Rubber by Bison was gone within 3 days of use on my Levelgloves. I now use Sikaflex 252 or my russian gloves from Rey which lasted the longest I have.

post-105-141842406565_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hans