Note to New Members ×

Veteran Rider soliciting recommendations for 1st Hardboot Alpine setup

Helmeticus

I'm a longtime (1984) softboot/all mountain carver (until I fell in love with progression riding in my early 30's!) who finally has the burning desire to play on a hardboot setup. I'm not looking to compete, just rail some tight fluid turns at all speeds, though as a hardboot newcomer, I'm less concerned about bombing speeds. I certainly don't need any flash new setup; just something that has real nice feel and is in decently performing condition. Would like to keep the cost down as low as possible. At this point I know nothing about the various interfaces and required boot types, or even what board specs might be ideal.

Any suggestions? If you want to send me links me to items, even better. A little about me-

Age 39

height 5'7"

weight 175

Boot Size = 10

Primary stance = Regular footed (can carve switch almost as well, so if a goofy setup saves me big$$ then happy to go goofy)

Even if you don't have specific equipment suggestions, I very much welcome any general advice or tips.

Thanks!

Some good reading:

http://www.bomberonline.com/resources/newcarver/new_carver.html

If you have a limited budget, splurge on boots (and boot fitting if you need it). There are some great deals on used boards out there, so don't feel like you need the newest and greatest metal-worldcup-superboard to learn to carve (unless you want it, then go nuts).

Generally speaking, something of medium length (in alpine I would call that in the mid 160's-mid 170's) will be versatile, small enough to control, long enough to get a feel for different turn shapes, and something you can bracket if you decide to get specialty sizes later (or use as a quiver of one if that is your bag). Something more freecarve or alpine free ride would probably be a good bet- again, still versatile, but more forgiving to learn on.

Have fun!

Edited by Mr.E

+1

Get the boots with the best possible fit, or your fun will suffer. Unfortunately, without previous experience with the various models, it's impossible to tell if a boot fits before you have tried it on the mountain - you have some trial and error in your future. The good news is that there are only two boot manufacturers left in the western hemisphere.

That said, let me quote Pureboarding's Joerg Egli: "Once you have tried hardbooting, everything else seems irrelevant."

+1

Get the boots with the best possible fit, or your fun will suffer. Unfortunately, without previous experience with the various models, it's impossible to tell if a boot fits before you have tried it on the mountain - you have some trial and error in your future. The good news is that there are only two boot manufacturers left in the western hemisphere.

Unless someone went out of business, there are three hardboot makers: Deeluxe, UPZ, and Head.

read Michelle's bootfitting advice in the FAQ. Best place to start if you don't have a local bootfitter that you trust. I'm sure you could ask the tahoe crew for a bootfitter reccomendation.

Unless someone went out of business, there are three hardboot makers: Deeluxe, UPZ, and Head.

read Michelle's bootfitting advice in the FAQ. Best place to start if you don't have a local bootfitter that you trust. I'm sure you could ask the tahoe crew for a bootfitter reccomendation.

I think Aracan is right. I may be wrong here but last I had heard Head had stopped making boots.

Dave