Note to New Members ×

Deeluxe Free 69

powdahbonz

They are supposed to be built in softer plastic

Deeluxe basically has two shells (Track 700 and the 325/225 series) utilizing different plastics. The 69 is a different plastic version of the 325/225. Softer plastic makes a different flexing boot, not a new boot. Is there anything here that you can't get by installing a BTS on a 325 shell? They essentially have three boots which are effectively the same (69/325/225).

UPZs are similar, In that the 3 boots use the same shell, but at least their 3 models RC-10/RC-8/ATB have different configurations as well as different plastics.

While I realize that its expensive, and a huge leap for a company to make in a product that likely produces small marginal benefits currently but it would be nice to see industry investment in a new shell design. Perhaps with Head having left the boot market (I believe) a less segmented market will result in larger revenues (more units sold) which may allow UPZ or Deeluxe to create a more modern boot?

One can always hope. Anyways I'm happy that UPZ continues to expand and improve on their existing products and line even if it is only by adding or removing buckles, or updating the powerstap. EDIT: I'm also happy that the two remaining companies have shells that seem two different and opposite footshapes (Deeluxe - narrow toe, wider heel and UPZ - wider toe and narrower heel).

Dave

Edited by Puddy Tat

They should have produced pink colours to attract ladies ;-)

I would have actually considered purchasing Free 69 if it came with Track 700 shell and softer Banana coloured plastics... Track 325/225 is (kinda) diverse enough... Why not diversify Track 700 lines? Stupid decisio , IMHO...

• 4 weeks later...

I was just speaking with Dave at YYZ Canuck, and he had some interesting info on this boot. It's available with either the Palau 141 liner or a non-moldable stock liner. It surprised me how enthusiastic Dave was about the non-moldable one; apparently it's quite cool. It has speed laces on the liner like a soft-boot liner, and is heat-molded to the boot shell to make it fit the shell perfectly so that it won't move around. The obvious downer with this is that most of us don't have opportunities to try on the boots first. If you're near Toronto though, Dave said he has a full size run in stock.

After talking boots with him for half an hour (man, does he know his stuff!) I think I'll buy T325's with the stiffer Palau 141 liner; basically a black Free69 :P

Cheers!

Well, maybe yellow isn't your colour, and maybe you don't appreciate Free69 but... DeeLuxe has been working at making improvements.

I can tell you, from my work in the plastics industry and seeing the volume of alpine snowboard boots that are sold each year, there is unlikely to be any major change to the shell of the DeeLuxe lineup in the near future. It's just too costly and the ROI would take forever.

So, the line managers at DeeLuxe have taken a look at where they could impact the fit/feel/function of their products and come up with liners as the first step in transforming the boots (not only alpine but softboots too).

The standard liner in the Free69 has been developed in partnership with the Korea Institute of Footwear & Leather Technologies. The two most important points are the material setup and the molding/assembly process.

DeeLuxe claims that after testing, they decided on an EVA component mix that does not pack-out even after heavy use. We've all heard that before but... these liners really do look and feel different than what I've seen before. Time will tell.

The liner is heat molded into the shell at the factory, so it offers a one-to-one fit. This intimate fit, coupled with the above noted material setup, ensures the liner stays put and continues to fit your foot over long time periods. How long? Who knows? Again, time will tell.

On top of that (or inside that) they use a new insole, also designed and developed with KIFLT, that DeeLuxe claims will provide perfect support for all day riding. Will they out-perform your custom orthotics? Probably not but... you also don't have to pay $100+ to get them.

I've attached some photos of a butchered liner... notice how thin the material is around the toebox and on the sole. I'm hopeful that I can maintain my current shell size (M25 for an M27 foot). Notice how thick the tongue is and it's multiple layers. This makes the forward flex feel comparable to the DEL141 Palau liner. Maybe not for everyone but it was intentional.

So, you might ask why we aren't selling the standard liner in our Free69 shells at our webstore. We've always opted for the heat moldable liner (T designation boots) in order to keep inventory levels lower. One shell, one liner covering a range rather than 2 shells, 2 liners to cover that same range. As Ian noted, we did buy a set of Free69's with standard half size liners (by half I mean 24.5, 25.5....). I wanted to test them on various riders and see if it makes sense to only carry the heat moldable liners as 'optional' product on the shelf.

post-35-141842374616_thumb.jpg

post-35-141842374618_thumb.jpg

Edited by yyzcanuck

• 1 year later...
  • 9 years later...

Sorry for the 9 years delay, I got the Free 69 last year, and I really like them with a Palau Performance Liner. Flexy, but firm. They fit like a glove after a few days. And the colour is cool!!

On 1/7/2014 at 7:13 PM, nekdut said:

Bumping an old thread, how are these riding for people?