Helmet needed?

sxybst90

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As a long time whitewater kayaker I was puzzled when I took up snowboarding and noticed many skiers and boarders who do not wear helmets.

I would NEVER kayak down a Class 4 river without my helmet and I never had any friends ever paddle without a helmet.

Trees you might be able to miss on the slopes but what about the guy bombing down the hill who hits you? :smashfrea

A nice fitting helmet-$80

Avoiding a serious concussion-Priceless!

I guess buying a helmet can be more of pain in the ass than buying a board haha! I guess ill just have to go out to shop this weekend and try a lot of them on!!

Almost! I tried on 15 or more different helmets before I settled on the Giro Seam. Giro makes great helmets but most important is to find one that fits your head well.

One really nice feature that my Seam has is the ratcheting thing that tightens around the bottom of the back of your skull (bike helmets have had these for years). For me, that takes a generally good fitting helmet and makes it nice and secure on my head.

__ _____ : Last Saturday amongst the other people I rode up with, I rode the lift with 3 separate mother and very young daughter duos , and one dad and son duo , all 4of these parents and children obviously under 10 did not have 1 helmet between the 8 of them !!! :eek:.

I casually without hurting the ego of the parents so they dont get defensive and said to each one while I had a captive audience on the lift by saying " "hummm you both dont have a helmet on " they gave the same basic shoulder shrug and lack of any kind of cohesive reason for not having one.

I mentioned for the most part that its the "no see em" that kills you.

Mind you this is intuitive & just subjective opinion on my part but it seamed like the parents for all intense purpose seemed to be the immature one and they seamed to have an inordinate need to be seen as a cool buddy in the child's eyes and seamed to need the love and acceptance of the child more than they wished the the health & welfare of the child.

This was subtle but obvious to me, these delinquent parents were not trailer trash who found the equipment and lift tickets in the dumpster, no they were middle to upper income types who had top of the line equipment.

To me, to not have your kid wear a lid is tantamount to child neglect or abuse, and to not ride up hill of them acting as a "blocker" is not smart at best.

Below is a video of a little baby doll who found out the hard way how dangerous it can be on the slopes, I don't know if she had a helmet on so it is just a footnote to this topic.

another reason for a helmet.

...unless you want to go full retard.

You never go full retard.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxr0hYefytg&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxr0hYefytg&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

years, biking and boarding.

They've protected my noggin and eyes in a couple of unplanned, off-piste excursion into the trees. Also "went over the bars" on my bicycle (with about 50 onlookers). The visor was trashed. So was my ego.

My face, thankfully, was unscathed.

Buy a good helmet that's adaptable enough for your climate, and above all comfortable. You'll really forget you're wearing it... until you need it.

And you almost certainly will!

BB

I just bought one after starting to do some local racing, and was glad I did. The first use for it was when I was pushed up high on a quarterpipe riding boardercross. As I came off of the quarterpipe my body was angled horizontally to the slope (as I flew through the air). All I could think, as the flight was in slow motion, was how much this was going to hurt. When I did impact, and my head snapped back, I was surprised that it didn't hurt at all. That was worth buying the helmet for.

I wiped out recently this year; not sure what happened, but the board came out from me, and I dropped backwards; head took an almighty slam. It actually hurt - and that was with the helmet on.

I took a slalom gate to the face last weekend. Mmmn fun. That's why I use a full-face for racing now (damn ski-racing gates). Nothing quite like taking a gate to the face and being able to keep on riding.

I stopped wearing my helmet a few years ago for a couple of reasons:

1. Whiplash. I push myself hard on the moguls and I routinely go over the handlebars. Every time (without fail) I rode with a helmet, my neck would hurt for a few days afterward. Since I stopped using the helmet, I very rarely have neck pain.

2. A term I define as "Helmet Enabling". Now that I don't ride with a helmet, I have drastically reduced my speed in the trees. I no longer have a false sense of security from the helmet, and therefore, I don't go too fast in the trees and always stay well in control.

3. In my opinion as a mechanical engineer, 10 years ago Helmets did not defend against concussions in snowsports. This one has probably changed, but my main beef with them was that they would not provide any more padding than the two layers of thermal beanie that I wear instead. Thusly, they didn't protect from concussion because there was zero shock absorption advantage over 2 thick fleece beanies. Yes, they were definitely protecting from lacerations, but they were not reducing the amount of deceleration felt by the brain (and in many cases, they would increase that decceleration).

I should try some helmets on and check out the technology. If they are actually lightweight nowadays, and actually providing concussion protection, I might get back in one. Certainly if I get an alpine setup, a helmet is totally necessary.

I wish someone made a kevlar shell (for impact resistance) helmet with adjustable air bladders on the inside (for concussion protection), similar to NFL helmets, I'd buy one today.

+2 on Giro, I had a fuse, now ride the G10, many reasons including safety. Never cold on those cold days, Never have to worry about head phones, Tune up kit in the ear pads. Venting for temp management. With the speed and carves close to the edges of the trail I just feel much safer.

How's was Fuse? any pro/con vs. G10 or any other helmet?

I stopped wearing my helmet a few years ago for a couple of reasons:

1. Whiplash. I push myself hard on the moguls and I routinely go over the handlebars. Every time (without fail) I rode with a helmet, my neck would hurt for a few days afterward. Since I stopped using the helmet, I very rarely have neck pain.

2. A term I define as "Helmet Enabling". Now that I don't ride with a helmet, I have drastically reduced my speed in the trees. I no longer have a false sense of security from the helmet, and therefore, I don't go too fast in the trees and always stay well in control.

3. In my opinion as a mechanical engineer, 10 years ago Helmets did not defend against concussions in snowsports. This one has probably changed, but my main beef with them was that they would not provide any more padding than the two layers of thermal beanie that I wear instead. Thusly, they didn't protect from concussion because there was zero shock absorption advantage over 2 thick fleece beanies. Yes, they were definitely protecting from lacerations, but they were not reducing the amount of deceleration felt by the brain (and in many cases, they would increase that decceleration).

ignorance is scary!:eek:

OK, I'll post up just so we have the official signature. :D

But some may want to take a different approach - recent research shows that progesterone has a very strong protective effect for the brain in the event of head injuries. Sooperbud, maybe you should ride like a girl? I can point you toward a source of good quality progesterone cream. :eplus2:

A real push by the press last week may drag politicians into this debate soon. The point was made that helmets for the most part don't prevent concussion. I wear a helmet because i think it could lessen injury. If they are mandated by law will it advance the standards to include more protection from concussion ? For Sale Glass coiler: and 7 foam and plastic helmets.:AR15firin:AR15firin:AR15firin